LED CFL Coco Vs Soil

Day 45 of flower

I watered yesterday with 900ppm of base nutes plus a little calmag and drip clean. Last night I gave them a huge dose of c02 via dry ice boiling water. The cloud was so thick I couldn't see my plants.

Seedlings --- I will start a new grow journal for these girls.

I am using something like a hempy dwc for the auto WW. They are the white pots. I bought them at walmart. They are filled with 90% perlite 10% charcoal. The difference between these and hemp is that they have a base at the bottom where water remains that you fill from the bottom, bottom feeding. You can still water them from the top and the water, like hempy falls to the res. So instead of the res being filled with water and perlite, it is just water. However, the perlite falls into a + shape that goes all the way to the bottom of the pot with holes in it. So there are 4 pie shaped places where pure water remains. I have an air stone in the water to keep it oxygenated.

I call this method super hempy. It should preform better than standard hempy.

swchemp-march7.jpg

Photo Update

march7hps2.jpg

march7hps.jpg

march7led.jpg

I moved the LED light over the NL with the largest nugs, to dense them up some because she is getting close to being done, already having trichomes with amber spots in them, but majority of them are not smokey and amber. Smokey ones still have times to get more smokey. NLs might go longer than 60 days, which is odd, but we will see.

For now I have a few cfls over the WW, and Lucy. Poor Lucy. She hasn't gotten hardly any light this whole grow because the LED is really only large enough for the WW. LUCY has only received splash light. Then I accidently broke half of her off, lol. Only one of her nugs is of decent size because it grew toward the LED with the WW nugs.

LED makes for way denser nugs. I will see how much 1 week of LED does for the NL. I only have it under one NL, so if those nugs get more dense, then I know the LED did it.

Well, I was also thinking of using molasses. That would make for two variables. I doubt molasses this late in the grow would dense up the nugs anyway. The NL are pretty full, but I want them fuller and a bit more dense.

In my other grow, the seedlings are now in veg, still under the same light. They will remain there until the tent is empty and clean. Anyway, they are so much bigger after just two days.

The link to the other journal is in my sig. I will post a pic in just a bit.

Watered
470 ppm, ph 6.0, flora blend, calmag, drip clean, and molasses.

I only have about a week left of watering, so maybe one or two more feedings before I flush for a week. The trichomes look about right for this strain to finish flowering after 60 days. WW might take a week longer.

Wiz -- Just general hydroponics florablend. Not sure I believe in bud boosters much. I've seen many get a pound with just base nutes and one light.

Nug Pic

I picked these two days ago, March 10. Picture was taken after I picked and did a loose trim. I they are done, so I fed with only water, molasses, and drip clean yesterday.

This is one of the medium sized nugs.

march12-nug.jpg

It is now day 50 of flower, but that was calculated aftering seeing little flower tops, but it is like day 62 of 12/12, so I'm thinking when the site says Northern Lights is a 60 day flower it means from 12/12.

That was a medium small sized bud from the 400w. I will be cutting them all soon, though. The LED buds actually got pretty big, and are puffing up a bit more now that I put them under the 400w and the 400w ones under the LED.

No doubt, LED makes nugs much denser, like twice as dense. I think it would be beneficial to grow with hps and use LED ufos as splash light.

yeah, definitely, the burn took away from yeild, but the led plants had the burn just as bad. Like a dumb ass, when I tested the higher nutes, I did it on every plant, instead of only one plant. The only ones that never were very effected at all, were the ones in coco. The one WW in coco died, though, because I did something wrong with sledgehammer. I could have sworn I measured correctly, but I retested on the Mendo Purp and it was fine.

I am going to test it on the Lucy with the recommended amount and see what happens since I am about to harvest anyway. So if it kills it, oh well. Bud is still good.

Oh, but there is no doubt in my mind that LED makes the nugs much harder. I grew the same strain of ww, my brother in law grew it under a 600w led, and the nugs were never as dense as mine got under the led.

They are going to weigh a lot.

thank you for the photographs and video, i have actually found that video before.
Here is a new CFL lamp/hood/reflector design I came up with and a how to video to DIY. It cost under $40 and puts out 40,000 lux at a few inches away. It is super easy. Plug and play easy. No wiring!

If you want to add another $10, the hood will push out 50,000 to 55,000 at the safe distance from your tops.

You can put more 2700k bulbs in the mix to flower with even, if you insist on flowering with cfls.

Cheap DIY CFL lamp that rocks with 50,000 lux - YouTube

I might do a quick photo run-down tutorial.

Back
Top Bottom