LED CFL Coco Vs Soil

Update

Tues, I ducked the girls in floramite, 1tsp per gallon. Filled up a tote with 5 gallons of water, and dunked them good. They handled it fine so far. They are doing well.

I removed one of the White Widows from the tent to give me room for the two NL monsters. I think I might try to grow it under my cfl hood in a closet. It seems student anyway from all the stress. It was the one with bad PM, but that is gone now. It was also the one I transfered from soil to coco, removing all the soil from the root ball in a tote full of ph water. It looks almost recovered, so maybe if I veg it with cfl 13-11, it will recover nicely and make clones or something. Or maybe I will just flower it with the cfls.

I finally got my 400w hps today, and it is beast. I checked it with the lux meter. At 1 foot away 80,000 lux, for 1 square foot at even canopy. The next foot around that, so 3 square foot total, it drops from 80,000 to 70,000 to 60,000 every few inches until it reaches 30,000 and a few inches beyond that, it goes to 25,000. So 3x3 square feet is good coverage.

It creates more heat than a little heater I had in the tent. I created a charcoal filter for very cheap. $22, which includes the 6"x8' ducting I needed. I will post the video on how I made it, and update pics of the monster Northern Lights.

Here are the two Northern Lights. Together they have 60 tops. They stretch from one end of the tent to the other. Right now there is only four plants in the tent. I removed a WW, and the Mendo Purp. The MP must be stunted. It's not growing. Purple is still there. I wonder if it has anything to do with it going from low ph hydro to coco. Probably not.

northernlights6.jpg

I just now changed the lighting to 12/12, so imagine how much bigger these two NL will be. The other WW and Lucy is under the LED, to the left. I have no room to LST them, so I am just going to grow them normally. They have between 8-10 tops.

The image looks yellow from the HPS.

Wiz:

The box says Super HPS Grow Lamp 400w. I imagine Super HPS is the brand name, but not sure. Might just be generic, but so far, it is rocking. In the picture, the tops in the bottom right were super tiny before the HPS hit them for 12 hours. In 12 hours then went from tiny little nothings to some of the biggest tops.

It came with the package I bought on ebay. The ballast is a Revolt 400 watt dimmable, digital ballast. I have that outside the tent because the bulb keeps it plenty warm in there during light hours, and a little heater on low keeps it warm during the night.

Wiz, yeah, the true test is to see how fast this bulb loses lux.

Some more pics. First pic, I am trying an experiment cloning with orbeez as the medium. They were soaked in Ph 5.5 water. Nothing else. You hardly ever have to water these things, which is one reason I am trying them out for cloning. They have been in there for 24 hours. I use clone gell. These are from the Lucy.

orbee.jpg

This is the WW and Lucy under the LED in the tent with the NLs. They have grown, whereas the other WW hasn't, but it also had the worst PM, which is gone now.

lsdww.jpg

I decided to put the mendo purp back in the tent to see what happens, because when I checked it out a bit ago, the purple is going away, and it finally grew a little. So maybe it is recovered and ready to do something. Still, it is much younger than the others, so unless the plants leave room for this one, it will also go in the closet with the non-growing WW. But who knows, maybe that WW will produce okay under that closet cfl.

cflww.jpg

Right now it is 14 inches. I am setting it to 12/12 to see what happens. I want it to stay small, which it should under the cfl lamp.

Yeah, only for cloning, though. I like the idea that they hardly need to ever be watered, but what I should have done differently is to ph the water for a few days before soaking the orbeez in it, to be sure it was stable.

The problem with orbeez as anything but a cloning medium is there is too much moister, so root rot would most likely happen. However, I thought about maybe 75 percent perlite and 25 percent ph'd orbeez, or maybe rockwool plus orbeez. I want to find a good mixture for an outdoor grow, so I can leave it for a long time without watering.

The cool thing about cloning with them, if it works, is the roots should slide right off. I also put my airstone in the water for a while before soaking the orbeez overnight.

I did a little research on orbeez. I' am also thinking of using this for an outdoor grow. Because I have a drought problem where I live and I'm not able to get to the outdoor plants as much I would like to.

Wiz, those are orbeez. They are that new toy, which are the same things as water pearls.

H-factor, also look into Waterbalz by dunecraft online. They get much larger than orbeez, and take longer to shrink, thus watering your medium that much longer.

Update

2nd day in flower

I forgot to update when I watered. I watered on the 10th with ph 5.8 water, florakleen and some cal mag+. The pots were a bit dry. I also watered the closet WW under the CFL, which is growing in coco. It was still moist, but looked like it needed a little water. It will not be dry for like a week I bet. The HPS I think dries out the ones in the tent faster.

Orbeez clones

2nd day in orbeez.

They are doing well. I just put more Ph 5.5 water in them because the balls shrank in size quit a bit, and because I want to be sure the ph stays in range. I should ph the balls with the soil meter.

Spidermites and Powdery Mildew

I have seen any PM after only two treatments of sulphur burning, temps between 75-80, and fans on the plants. Spidermites all seem dead. I haven't seen any movement yet since the floramite bath. Hopefully, they are dead. Getting 700 lady bugs on tues anyway, just in case. Maybe a few praying mantises.

HPS bulb

What a bone head I am. I forgot to remove the plastic that came on the inside of the hood, a pinkish plastic. I removed it, and did more LUX testing. To my surprise, you can add 10 to all my last tests. So 90,000 lux in the first foot, and on out to 40,000 and 30,000 3x3 feet. That first foot is almost as powerful as the sun, when the sun is at its best 100,000 lux. Booya. Bad-ass little 400w. It hasn't burnt any leaves at a foot away either.

I only wish it pulled 90,000 lux at like 18 inches away so to cover 2x2 or something.

Yeah, 600w will work in a 4x4, but the last foot around the parameter gets much lower lux, and so not as big or dense buds. I am going to test this at my brother in laws house. I grows in a 4x4 with 600w at 18 inches above canopy.

Update. I will be watering today, starting a bloom mix with higher ppm than last time. It has been four days since I last watered with just water and florakleen. I will post the measurements I end up using, plus the ppm.

I am trying another experiment with the clones. So two are in the ph Orbeez, and now three are in ph 5.5 rockwool, which are sitting on top of ph Orbeez. The rockwool is slightly pushed in. This way, when the roots start to emerge from the rockwool, they have a moist place to go.

TEST

I did some test with different reflective material. I will make a thread all about it. White reflects the best, better than mylar and better than the metal hoods, that sort of dented, popular, material.

Check out the results here at this thread -- Conducted tests for best reflective surface for your lights/hoods

Watered

5th day flower

Watered with 1200ppm. Same stuff as usual, but this time 1 tsp per gallon of everything. 1, 1, 1 of florabloom, floramicro, florablend, and floragrow.

Once buds start to show up, I will switch to 1part floragrow, 2 part flora micro, 3 part florabloom. I think that is what it recommended.

However, it recommends 2 tsp per gallon for the 2,2,2, but I made it 1,1,1. 2,2,2 would have put me at like 1500ppm if not higher. Last time I watered with nutes, it was at 900ppm.

I will see if the 1200ppm burns them. There shouldn't be any major salt build up, as last time I watered with water and florakleen, no nutes but cal-mag+

I phed it to about 6.0 this time.

Back
Top Bottom