LED vs HPS: is everyone really on the same bandwagon?

1st time heard it , just read a little , bye bye GG.lol . I am 53 now and from uk though so we will eat each other if needs be.
first time you heard peak boomer?
or about the lizard people?

If LEDs are to the point where the yield is at least close to HPS running lower wattages, the weak light penetration problems from a few years ago have been corrected, the panels don't have a history of failing, and the prices are within reason, I might consider getting one to replace my 600w HPS (which I love by the way, even with the excessive Summer heat). Seven hundred bucks for one LED light! :jawdropper: I expect a door to open on it and a phukken alien to walk out for that much; then show me how to fly it so I can attack the lizard people and save the planet Earth!

If LEDs are to the point where the yield is at least close to HPS running lower wattages, the weak light penetration problems from a few years ago have been corrected, the panels don't have a history of failing, and the prices are within reason, I might consider getting one to replace my 600w HPS (which I love by the way, even with the excessive Summer heat). Seven hundred bucks for one LED light! :jawdropper: I expect a door to open on it and a phukken alien to walk out for that much; then show me how to fly it so I can attack the lizard people and save the planet Earth!
I like the fact that I was able to build my 6x COB array for just under $500 and custom design it just for my tent. I used to run two 600w hpd and loved the output from my tent although I was not in love with the power bill and the heat issues.
I am still dialing in these COB lights and learning what I am capable of with an array that is able to produce way too much light, but I am already producing better pot than I was under my dual HPS/MH 1200w system and now that I have a better idea just how high I can turn this thing up, this next grow is already breaking every record I have ever made in my tents for many reasons, and the lights are a big part of it.
The lack of heat issues, anticipated extreme long life, the ability to save huge amounts by dialing in exactly the lumens needed during any stage of the grow plus the already low operating cost per lumen, the nearly perfect light spectrum, and the extreme penetration provided by the LED light, all added up to me putting my big air cooled hoods, lumetek ballasts and short lived $100 light bulbs into storage. I made the leap, and found it to be a better way.

I expect a door to open on it and a phukken alien to walk out for that much; then show me how to fly it so I can attack the lizard people and save the planet Earth!

After reading this thread I’m not 100% sure it’s worth saving...? :hmmmm:

I can buy a quality ballast and light for 300 and grow the hell out of some dope. I can use the mh during flower to influence color along with hps. Or I can spend 1200.00 on an led is how I look at it. Do not worship false idols. Hps is king ;)

I'm a hps guy, even after dropping 2k on QBs I switched back. But the lifespan of a QB will pay for itself just in not replacing bulbs. Jus sayin

After growing with HID for 10+ years (600w MH in veg and 1000w de for flower), I switched to a 315CMH with 6 CXB3590s around it for my 40"x40" tent and used that rig for the last 2 years with amazing results in both veg/flower, much more density and easier to control the temp of the tent, great flavor and frostiness too. Just picked up a 480w quantum board in 3000k and so far I'm happy with it in veg, haven't flowered under it yet though. I don't understand people thinking HID is a be all end all light, they work great no argument there, but they have some serious pitfalls of you're trying to grow stealth, if I had a 20'x20'x10' grow space with HVAC and an unlimited budget for electricity I'd run nothing but 1000w DE, if I want to grow a few plants to keep myself supplied with medicine for the cheap, I'll embrace modern technology in the form of LED and the advantages that come with it in the form of less heat, more even coverage in my tent, more vertical grow space (gained about 10" by switching from a vertical CMH fixture) and no bulb replacement. If I have to I can supplement UV in with T5HO, big whoop. Each light source has it's own advantage and disadvantage and it's own place. Starting from scratch right now the advice I'd give is COB or QB and some autos for a newbie grower just getting started, learn to read the plants and how they react to stressors.

I can buy a quality ballast and light for 300 and grow the hell out of some dope. I can use the mh during flower to influence color along with hps. Or I can spend 1200.00 on an led is how I look at it. Do not worship false idols. Hps is king ;)
I dont know about king. Different lights for different applications. LED does work better in some grows. Mine being one of them.

Wow, you guys are really enlightened!!! and soooo smart!

a friend with weed, is a friend indeed, but a friend in need is a pest!

Just finishing my first run under a 600w hps. Then switched to a 1000w hps for flower. Just ordered and recieved a spider-farmer sf-2000. And holy cow is it bright. Extremely excited to finish up this run and hang her up. Temps have been a little bit of a struggle for me, so also excited to see how they look under led vs the hps I've run this go. Not to mention the lower operating cost..

I read all the Amazon reviews and some web sites reviews, but does anyone here have any personal experience with this company and these lights? I will be doing a journal next run under mine. But just looking for anyone heres 2 cents in the mean time.
I have heard that thay grow god buds , but thay have to Little of far reeds. I follow cannabeard Grow and be has one

I have heard that thay grow god buds , but thay have to Little of far reeds. I follow cannabeard Grow and be has one

I've seen a little of cannabeard stuff, I'll look for where he shows some of this light in action. Thanks for the input @kisskorv72

Hey growers it has been a while since I have been on line and as of right now this will be the last post for a while. I am transferring to Roton New Mexico next to the mountains to work a few more years and retire. The grow I am doing now is my last until I get my medical card there in new mexico and have to build my grow room again. On the subject of LED VS HPS I actually use both at the same time with the HPS as the over head lights and the LED on the sides of my walls and have more than good results. My walls have mylar on them to reflect the light even though I have taken a little of the mylar down and have packed a few of my lights not in use. My theory is that they both work it is just what one may prefer and can afford. I really think it is a combination of lights and type of soil you use. I have always use fox farm and have great luck with it. This grow is Big bud x NL and Critical cheese, here are some pictures of my second most favorite girls, Sorry guys at my age I have to butter the wife up when ever I can. I have already started packing and have put my LED,s that were on the walls in their boxes so have finished up with the over head lights only.

Attachments

• DSCN0930.JPG
    DSCN0930.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom