LEDs and seedlings

ImTheOneWhoKnocks

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what distance from my plants I should place my light? I plan on putting my seedlings in my tent shortly after they break ground. I will be running an AutoPot system but won't be placing them in the large pots at the beginning. I'm assuming that when they are real young I should have the light a fair distance away? Also, should I run the Veg light and the Bloom light at the same time during the Veg and or flower cycle, being that they are Autos? or will that be too much? I will be planting autoflowers for my First grow. Here is a link with a review of the light I have. It has some tech details and does mention the light shouldn't be any lower that 24" above plants. ViparSpectra 1200w LED Review - Yield & Specs - The Weed Prof

Par chart

Attachments

• Viparspectra-1200w-V1200-PAR-value-1024x1024.jpg
    Viparspectra-1200w-V1200-PAR-value-1024x1024.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 95
I would start with them companies recommended hight.
Maybe a little higher, unit you see how they react.
Better to be safe than sorry, because you can always lower them as the kids start to firm up.

not a fan of vipar lights. but not knocking your choice.

i found burple can be odd for seedlings. had many issues from over stretching to burning up the seedlings at the first couple nodes.

i brought in a couple cfls, and then t5s for my seedlings when i had burple. i would put them under the main light once established in the seedling stage.

i could run seedlings under the light, but i wound up with it at 30" above the plants, the manufacturers recommendation was 20"-24". i'm not sure what vipar recommends

I'd start 3 feet from the pots, and lower if they start to stretch at all. I just picked up a few corn cob lights for my work and they're so bright i think i'm gonna try one for my next batch of seedlings.

They say 540 watts, that's a real big light for starting out seedlings.
I used a cheap galaxy 300 (about 100-135 watts) for my seedling to start out with.
you don't want to burn them up.

Par chart

I was looking at the same graph for my lights, and noticed that, just like this one, there seems to be one side of the light that is weaker. i'm now reconsidering light placement ..

I used a cheap galaxy 300 (about 100-135 watts) for my seedling to start out with.
you don't want to burn them up.

right now i use a 45w blurple. 12"x12". 2 of them if needed. they're perfect for seedlings.

Exactly, small light's are better for fragile seedlings.
we're all on the same page. :thumb:

they don't need much to start.
that said the vipars aren't that powerful really. a lot of those watts go to heat on that light

they don't need much to start.
that said the vipars aren't that powerful really. a lot of those watts go to heat on that light

Ya, I know I was just quoting their spec sheet.

Good luck I'm in the woods, we hope you start a grow journal, so if you need any help down the road, we can find you.
there's a link on my signature box to get you started.

I was wondering if it might be too much. Maybe If I put them on the edges of the tent where the PAR values are less would work?

you can try, but make sure you raise them up !

Catch you later, I gotta get to work.
BTW, I'll be trying out some new light's for @BudgetLED next week, stop on by.
Your all invited, to the party. :party:

not a fan of vipar lights. but not knocking your choice.

i found burple can be odd for seedlings. had many issues from over stretching to burning up the seedlings at the first couple nodes.

i brought in a couple cfls, and then t5s for my seedlings when i had burple. i would put them under the main light once established in the seedling stage.

i could run seedlings under the light, but i wound up with it at 30" above the plants, the manufacturers recommendation was 20"-24". i'm not sure what vipar recommends
I will have to try and find some info on plant life cycles in regards to this light. I have plenty of distance from the floor, 61" at the max height.

I will have to try and find some info on plant life cycles in regards to this light. I have plenty of distance from the floor, 61" at the max height.

i wouldn't over think it.

I'd start 3 feet from the pots, and lower if they start to stretch at all.

this is the best advice you've gotten so far.

Back
Top Bottom