Lighting!

Jackleen

Hi everybody
First . Thanks to all lovely people here for all the advices .
I grow my two babies in a box
420-magazine-mobile302639753.jpg

This box is 120 CM hight ( 50 inch approximately )120 CM tall
And 60 cm ( 24 inch approximately ).
Now i use two sets of lamps
The first set is 3 CFL 23 W each for the new baby . About 14 cm above(5 inch approximately ) .
The second set is 5 CFL 23W each for the 22 day old baby and they are about 18 cm above ( 7 inch approximately ) .
420-magazine-mobile1740831011.jpg

I buy a 400 w HPS but dont use it .
The question is which is better to use
The two sets or the HPS .
And if the use of HPS is better at what high should it be for the both babies.
Is there any dangerous using HPS inside a box of wood .
Best regards

jackleen

The HPS would be MUCH better, IMO, but you'd need to be able to control the heat.
I keep my light about 18" above the top of the plants once mature. I keep it about 30" above new seedlings.
The wood box is OK as long as everything is wired safely and you are able to keep the heat where you need it. You'll need several inches above the light for air circulation/cooling.

The HPS would be MUCH better, IMO, but you'd need to be able to control the heat.
I keep my light about 18" above the top of the plants once mature. I keep it about 30" above new seedlings.
The wood box is OK as long as everything is wired safely and you are able to keep the heat where you need it. You'll need several inches above the light for air circulation/cooling.
Thanks
Will one HPS cover the box

jackleen

Thanks
Will one HPS cover the box

jackleen

Yes - it would cover it extremely well. :thumb:
My only concern is with the heat it will generate. Do you have an extraction fan to pull heat out?

I'd give it a "dry run" with the HPS light to see how the temperatures are before putting plants in there. I think you will need to pull a LOT of air through the box to keep it where you need it. If you are pulling in cool air (outdoors?) it will help a lot. If you are pulling room temp air through the box, it takes a lot more to do the job.

:goodluck:

here comes my 2cents worth I have a 6 by 10 grow room and a 4 foot tent I am using 600W LEDs and the following is why I choose these over HID the amount of heat is an obvious concern even the LED's make heat my tent goes up to 84 degrees at the floor with just 2 of these lights but my exhaust fan does a great job what the real issue here is PAR levels no matter what the source is the quality and intensity is the bottom line the HID guys will tell you that they like them cause that is the same light that comes up in the east every morning I like the LED ( and there are a ton to shop) for the spectrum of light as well as the par level (read up on PAR) this is the light that plants use I measure my light in PAR as this the spectrum plants "see" not Lumens is what we see down side of the LED upfront cost friends joked that if I was robbed they would take the LED's and leave the weed! HID is lots less cost to set up but need to set up correctly look into the inline fan reflector hoods makes it easier to plump the air flow right now I am studying just how much light I can put on the strain I have in veg right now JD

here comes my 2cents worth I have a 6 by 10 grow room and a 4 foot tent I am using 600W LEDs and the following is why I choose these over HID the amount of heat is an obvious concern even the LED's make heat my tent goes up to 84 degrees at the floor with just 2 of these lights but my exhaust fan does a great job what the real issue here is PAR levels no matter what the source is the quality and intensity is the bottom line the HID guys will tell you that they like them cause that is the same light that comes up in the east every morning I like the LED ( and there are a ton to shop) for the spectrum of light as well as the par level (read up on PAR) this is the light that plants use I measure my light in PAR as this the spectrum plants "see" not Lumens is what we see down side of the LED upfront cost friends joked that if I was robbed they would take the LED's and leave the weed! HID is lots less cost to set up but need to set up correctly look into the inline fan reflector hoods makes it easier to plump the air flow right now I am studying just how much light I can put on the strain I have in veg right now JD

I like LEDs fine - and use them, but I think she already has the HPS.
The choice is between CFLs and HPS for $$$ = 0.00.

I'd give it a "dry run" with the HPS light to see how the temperatures are before putting plants in there. I think you will need to pull a LOT of air through the box to keep it where you need it. If you are pulling in cool air (outdoors?) it will help a lot. If you are pulling room temp air through the box, it takes a lot more to do the job.

:goodluck:
Ill do a dry run now ...
Hope things goes well

jackleen

I try the HPS 400W
one hour and the temp is 26 - 27 C
Is that acceptable?

jackleen

Yes. 26-27 is fine. I'd go longer than an hour to make sure it doesn't get much warmer. You are fine at 27, but you don't want it to go much higher.

Yes. 26-27 is fine. I'd go longer than an hour to make sure it doesn't get much warmer. You are fine at 27, but you don't want it to go much higher.
Right now i end the HPS experience for more than 3 hours .
It seems good cause temp still around 27 C .

jackleen

I do this try through the time were temp outdoor at the max ( 25 C ) .
Usually at this time my plant sleep .
When its time to light the temp outdoor go around ( 11 to 13 C )

jackleen

Right now i end the HPS experience for more than 3 hours .
It seems good cause temp still around 27 C .

jackleen

Awesome! :woohoo:

You should start a journal. You'll get lots of help and ideas while meeting new friends.

Sounds like you have the temp at least known---- something to use as a base---- the next thing now in that box is how much light are you putting on the plants will you have the ability to adjust the light at all? something I am still working on is : seems like all the feeding cycles I see increase in flower those nutes for flower and increase the PAR making the plant really work give it more light and food and it should grow bigger better buds? how much on what strains ? so far the answer I have is watch you plants and......this is the important part .....Know what the heck you are doing----reacting to tip burn on leaves-- a little curl going on ? yeah watching the plants will tell you that the plant is stressed for this or that AFTER the fact.... maybe if you know how much light they are getting KEEPS you in the sweet spot --this is why I want to know what is going on with my plants what the heck am I doing -- rant done all this comes from a lot of screwing up perfectly good plants

Back
Top Bottom