Lola's Indoor Soil Northern Lights Auto Fem Journal, First Grow

02/17/2017 I am still awful with the mini microscope thing. I can see stuff if I pluck a leaf off but I'm not steady enough to look at anything while its on the actual plant. I did get this picture though with my document scanner. Is this quality enough for me to see when the trichs start turning color or not? I think it will be but...maybe someone can enlighten me. Or do you pluck a hair off a bud and look at it under a microscope steady? I hate to waste anything. My buds and plants are small enough already.
IMG_00007.jpg

02/17/2017 I am still awful with the mini microscope thing. I can see stuff if I pluck a leaf off but I'm not steady enough to look at anything while its on the actual plant. I did get this picture though with my document scanner. Is this quality enough for me to see when the trichs start turning color or not? I think it will be but...maybe someone can enlighten me. Or do you pluck a hair off a bud and look at it under a microscope steady? I hate to waste anything. My buds and plants are small enough already.
IMG_00007.jpg

You should be able to tell just by looking at the buds. Once you see the amber hairs you can decide when you want to harvest. They say there's different effects from taking it down at 80% amber and different effects at 20%. So maybe loo into that side of things to see how far you want to let it go before you give it the cop.

You should also try get some natural light on the planets to see the colours clearly. I left one too long because the lighting made it look like there was very little amber. Took it out of the room and the buds were brown lol tasted horrible and effects were pretty week. Hope that helps .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Help!??? Am I ready to harvest? My plants are so small. There are tons of buds but really tiny ones.

I have been looking and I have a good bunch of hairs turning golden or amber. It was far easier to tell outside of the tent under regular light as you suggested. I'm showing some pictures. I still have some pointy white hairs and very few amber trichs. Do I wait a week? At this point I won't even have an oz on 2 plants!!! But it's been fun doing.

Also I have one plant I started much later than the others. Can I keep it going while I'm drying stuff in the tent?
Lola
0222171610a.jpg
0222171610_Burst01.jpg
0222171610.jpg

March 3rd update. I never heard from anyone if I was getting close to harvest so I've been reading a lot. Admittedly I'm anxious like a kid before Christmas. I went ahead and cut one branch tonight. I starting a flush over a week ago. I've got it hanging. All the trichs are cloudy. I have a few amber but not many. Any way in just don't to get it. I'm planning on waiting another few days before hacking any more off. Up until now I haven't had odor concerns but damn 2 hrs after cutting and I could smell it when coming in the house!!

If you stop by, does it look
0303171606.jpg
0303171558.jpg
0303171547a.jpg
to you like I'm ready for harvest?

March 3rd update. I never heard from anyone if I was getting close to harvest so I've been reading a lot. Admittedly I'm anxious like a kid before Christmas. I went ahead and cut one branch tonight. I starting a flush over a week ago. I've got it hanging. All the trichs are cloudy. I have a few amber but not many. Any way in just don't to get it. I'm planning on waiting another few days before hacking any more off. Up until now I haven't had odor concerns but damn 2 hrs after cutting and I could smell it when coming in the house!!

If you stop by, does it look
0303171606.jpg
0303171558.jpg
0303171547a.jpg
to you like I'm ready for harvest?

Hey Lola sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

From the pictures they look like they could go a little longer, but again it really depends on the effects your after. Personally i leave them until i see 80% amber.

The ones you have chopped, try keep them in a dry cool place with no light. What is the humidity and temps like where you are drying them ? Ideally it should be kept at 50% humidity and temps around 15 - 20 C. Check them every day. Once the stems snaps you know they are dry enough and you can stick them in a sealed jar or container to cure them for a couple of weeks. Or if you can just smoke it after drying and skip the curing. I tend to take one or two buds off after drying and cure the rest of 2 - 3 weeks opening the jar daily to let out moisture. I love them smell after harvest but not throughout the house haha. Carbon filter will sort that out for you

Thanks for responding. My thoughts too, maybe just little longer. That was the smallest branch I had. I'm guessing maybe next weekend to harvest everything else but I'll play that by ear. I have a closet that would be dark but there is no air flow. I have it hanging in the bedroom from the ceiling. When I harvest the rest I'll probably have to go with the closet. So did now about 68° and 30%humidity in the room .

Lola

Thanks for responding. My thoughts too, maybe just little longer. That was the smallest branch I had. I'm guessing maybe next weekend to harvest everything else but I'll play that by ear. I have a closet that would be dark but there is no air flow. I have it hanging in the bedroom from the ceiling. When I harvest the rest I'll probably have to go with the closet. So did now about 68° and 30%humidity in the room .

Lola

If you have a small oscillating fan stick it in the closet and point it way from the buds just so there's moving air. For the best quality smoke it's best to slow dry. If you have low humidity where you are try leave some of the leaves on after you cut them down it will slow the drying process.

Did you do a final flush on them ? I.e running 2 - 3 times the amount of water through the pots to clear out any salt build up from the nutrients.

I know it's hard to resist cutting them early but it will be worth it in the long run .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I do have a small fan in the room. I did flush as best as I could. I used soil so I ran water through and let it dry out some and then used plain water for over a week before cutting. I ended up cutting down one plant because the leaves on the main cola were turning brown. The other plant is still growing. Some of the buds are very small so they dried quick.

Lola

3/ 27/17 So I ve dried and tried... I love the high. I probably ended up harvesting on the early side.

So when I cut and trimmed I had 60+gr wet but once dried and final trim plant one only had 10gr. Plant 2 had about t the same amount wet but dried weighed at 14gr.

Plant 3 was grown 12 from seed . It only had one cola, no side branches. I just cut it today. The one large bud weighs 40 gr.. No stem.. Hoping for about 14gr once dry. It's a huge bud.

Take away is I need to do the timer from day one, proper chems from day one and I'm going to change my lighting. I'm pretty bummed to not get over an oz from 3 plants . I had hoped and read on the website I'd get about 2oz each.

Anyway, it was a great experience. I'll do again just not real soon at once got my house listed.

Thanks for all the tips.

3/30/17 Final entry for me.

I had 2 plants initially, many problems at first. I finally harvested one plant over a month ago. I dried it for several days and had a smoke. Nice high but harsh on the throat even in a vaporizer (V2). I then harvested the second plant. Between the two once dried I only ended up with about 25 gr. I had hoped for a bit more per plant. I had a third plant. It only grew one main cola. Probably going to end up around 9 gr dry. So barely over an ounce on 3 plants. It was still a great experience.

So I guess my question is when is weight taken, at the very end I'm guessing since if I was selling (which I'd not do) I would be selling by weight. I'm just at a loss because the difference is so high between harvest and dry. Also I'm using a hygrometer and have it at 62% but that seems too dry. I know when I've bought some it's been much wetter and I was thinking that would make if heavier.
Anyway after putting my dry stuff in jars and I started curing its lost another 2gr!

How long was the stuff I was buying before dried? Is keeping it wet for weight something people do to trick suckers like me?

The smell of this is quite a bit skunky. It hardly smelled at all while growing and only a little while don't but now it just smells skunky. It's not at all like the girl scout cookies or other stuff I've had. Anyone else have experience with northern lights.
0330171928.jpg
0330171927.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom