Low Watts - High Yield - Let's Smash the 1 GPW Benchmark Together

I know with movers it's probably different, but is it same principle put light as close as u can until it's hot if u put your hand there?

Interesting question and one that requires more thought than one would initially think. The same principal does apply. However, considering the fact that the lights are on the move allows you to inch them a little closer than you normally would if the lights were stationary. For example, I have oscillating fans blowing over the tops of the plants/under the bulbs,...always have. This helps cool the ambient temperature of the air between the bulb and the tops of the plants. When my lights were stationary, I would keep the bulb approx 14 inches from the tops of the plants. Now, with the movers, I am finding that I can keep the bulb within 7-8 inches of the tops without stressing them. When I hold my hand by the tops as the movers roll the light by, the back of it gets hotter than I would want if the lights were stationary but the fact that they're on the move keeps them from stressing the plants. I am fine tuning this as we go and I am learning things daily. I keep a very close eye on my grow so if I spot any sign of heat stress I can adjust immediately. I want the bulbs as close as my plants will tolerate without experiencing bud bleach or heat stress. It's these small details that make all the difference.

Good growing.

hey man love this grow. it seems like the perfect perpetual system of veg / clone / flower / harvest. everything running like clockwork. not to mention all the diy work you put into this. you've got a great talent for horticulture. subbed ** and +++reps

Hey there 420fied. I have a quick question for ya. When do you actually start this feeding schedule? Is it from the day you cut clones or the day you start flowering cycle?

How long does he or you grow clones for? starting with day of cutting.

My bad, let me first introduce myself. 420ramrod here. I'm on my way to doing for a SOG set up myself. I'm still working out some of the kinks so to speak. I have had one successful grow and learned alot. Now I have decided to tackle full Hydro, going for "SOG" for sure with my set up and equipment its perfect. I have (2) turbo ebb and flow botanicare systems, holds 14 Square pots in each. I want to be able to Harvest 14 plants every 30 days. maybe more if I use different pots like the 2 Liters 420fied is using. Also Im currently using an "Areogarden" as a cloner, its awesome roots in 5 to 7 days. I'm sure I can get that down now that I have better cloning tips from everyone.

Hello ramrod,

Thanks for stopping by my journal. Here's a bit about how my operation runs. This might answer your questions for you.

* I keep 4-6 mothers which I take clones from. When I take cuttings, I lightly scrape the stems and dip them in Clonex gel. I stick them in the aero cloners and let them sit in their pucks for 15 minutes before starting to spray them. I spray my clones with plain tap water. The only addition is very small amount of Clonex gel that gets washed off of the stems of the clones. Normally, I see visible roots in 7-8 days. The clones are usually ready to be buried by days 13-15 in the cloner.

* Once I bury the clones in the 2 Liters, they're sent to the Flower room right away where I immediately start them on the feeding schedule described above.

I wish you well with your own SOG setup. May all your buds be dense.

hey man love this grow. it seems like the perfect perpetual system of veg / clone / flower / harvest. everything running like clockwork. not to mention all the diy work you put into this. you've got a great talent for horticulture. subbed ** and +++reps

Thanks for the kind words thinkerr. I have read, researched, and grown for a long time. For years I have dreamed about a low cost build featuring a perpetual system that ran on the low watts/high yield principal.

Right now, it's a matter of getting to the point where I can harvest full tables of clonex dipped clones at a time. This will enable me to generate a harvest baseline/expectation. We'll try and improve from there. I'll start pulling 100+ plant harvests in March but these are plants that were not dipped in Clonex gel. The plants seem to be finishing in the 12-15 inch range. I have stayed away from using Clonex to this point because of the wilting it was causing. However, the clones do recover and the root systems are much more vigorous than when I do not dip them so going forward, all clones will be dipped. I believe this will translate into a better end product(more yield). I won't know my true potential until my first harvest of an entire table full of Clonex dipped clones will come in mid May.

I hope you'll stick around to see how far I can push my GPW number.

Good growing.

This is beautiful !!
I'm glad I caught on. Found the new link in your sig after you posted on your cloner thread :). I'm actually planning to start a small hempy sog very soon, it's all after I read your journals a few months ago :blushsmile:

Thanks ismokes. Glad to have you here. I hope your SOG kicks butt!

Please continue to visit and engage in the good conversation with us.

:thumb:

wow so roughly 2 weeks after you cut your flowering? that seems so fast, but I think its exactly what I want! LOL! How big is your cutting to start?

I have 2 mothers right now "Jack Flash" indica dominate. and an unknown Sativa dom. both very good. my set up is up and running, I'm trying to get it all running in a SOG cycle now. My timing is going to be crucial I can see. Thats the reason for my specific questions on time frame. thank you for your time and guidance.

I sure will brother. My timing for my SOG could not have been better :), I get to watch you rock your grow and hopefully follow in your footsteps. Just lurking around here has already paid off :laughtwo:, I'm already picking up tips and tricks for cloning (which I'll be doing in a week or two). I will go with all clonex as your clonex cuttings clearly have more vigor roots. It's pretty cool that you keep answering questions posted on your threads. Keep on with good stuff man :smokin:

Thanks ismokes. Glad to have you here. I hope your SOG kicks butt!

Please continue to visit and engage in the good conversation with us.

I bet I've had 50 people PM me and ask me if this could be pulled off in a 20 oz bottle without the plants getting root bound. I've never tried it but now that I have some space.....for shits and giggles, I decided to see for myself.

Day 31

20_oz_day31.JPG
20_oz_pot.JPG
20_oz_scale.JPG

She's never been given good light until now when I moved her to table 2 with the newly planted babies. I'm curious to see how she finishes up.

wow so roughly 2 weeks after you cut your flowering? that seems so fast, but I think its exactly what I want! LOL! How big is your cutting to start?

I have 2 mothers right now "Jack Flash" indica dominate. and an unknown Sativa dom. both very good. my set up is up and running, I'm trying to get it all running in a SOG cycle now. My timing is going to be crucial I can see. Thats the reason for my specific questions on time frame. thank you for your time and guidance.

Yes. Two weeks after I take the cutting it is usually in the Flower room.

My clones are fairly large and I make sure the root systems are long enough to circle the res of the 2 Liter when I bury them.

clone62.JPG
bury1.JPG
rootz.JPG

When running a perpetual SOG like this, timing is key. I wish you well.

I sure will brother. My timing for my SOG could not have been better :), I get to watch you rock your grow and hopefully follow in your footsteps. Just lurking around here has already paid off :laughtwo:, I'm already picking up tips and tricks for cloning (which I'll be doing in a week or two). I will go with all clonex as your clonex cuttings clearly have more vigor roots. It's pretty cool that you keep answering questions posted on your threads. Keep on with good stuff man :smokin:

Awesome man. I wish you well on your upcoming SOG. I'm glad you are able to take things away from my journal and apply them to your own situation.

I don't mind answering questions when I have the time. Part of the reason I journal on 420Mag is that hopefully, I can help others effectively grow their own medicine.

Like all new growers, I too was once clueless. I always told myself that if I was ever able to bank any quality knowledge based on EXPERIENCE that I would someday play it forward.... and now, here we are.

Good growing.

Oops! I didn't realize the link to your new grow was at the bottom of your signature, so I clicked the top and it was an old grow. So, all the while I've been waiting patiently for the new journal, lol. DOH! :)

Well, don't mind me I'll just squeeze in and look at the pretty pics while I get caught up. Sorry for being tardy - the dog ate my laptop.

I have mad respect for your grows, journals and abilities, my friend. This thread will be a real joy for me - thanks for sharing your work with us.

:popcorn:

Oops! I didn't realize the link to your new grow was at the bottom of your signature, so I clicked the top and it was an old grow. So, all the while I've been waiting patiently for the new journal, lol. DOH! :)

Well, don't mind me I'll just squeeze in and look at the pretty pics while I get caught up. Sorry for being tardy - the dog ate my laptop.

I have mad respect for your grows, journals and abilities, my friend. This thread will be a real joy for me - thanks for sharing your work with us.

:popcorn:

I'm glad you're finally here, X. The respect is mutual. I value your feedback and always enjoy breading your thoughts.

Thank you for the kind words.

:high-five:

Wow, what a great read so far.

You do a really nice job of explaining the little things that make a big difference. Another thing I appreciate is that you often say things like "I don't find it necessary for this strain" or "the strain I run seems to prefer this". Wisely spoken, as absolutes are difficult with so many variations to our plant. Just when I think I have something figured out, I find a plant/strain/pheno that breaks the rule or behaves differently it seems. Nice journal, great pics, and great detail. 5 stars/ + rep

So glad you are journaling again!

:reading420magazine:

Maybe my reading comprehension is in need of a brush up.

"now im not very good at this cloning thing, so i am a seed guy. and no disrespect intended, but it just isnt possible to expand an op with clones at the same rate as seeds."

Those were his words. I take that as him saying that in any established grow, it's impossible to expand the op as fast with clones as it is with seeds. ....and for the 123884576th time, I'm saying that I disagree. That simply is not true. If you think it is, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. I can't believe I'm even debating this.

If it's a new startup, that's another story.

I think that was the most polite "please stop trolling me" I've ever seen on any forum whatsoever. Hat's off to you. I love your threads, and thank you for all i've learned reading the various ones. Been waiting, and waiting for you to do another grow and FINALLY was able to subscribe near the beginning instead of pestering w/questions which would be months old to you. Congrats on the property & good luck on this one as we're all waiting to follow in your footsteps.

Cheers,
John

Back
Top Bottom