Make Your Own Boveda Humidor Bag With Silica Gel Beads

I bet the Art Sorb Beads can be rejuvenated too. Simply dry them out, stick them in a sealed plastic bag with a bowl of water, wait for the humidity to go to 60% RH again via hygrometer in bag, stop hydrating them and bag em in tea bags or coffee filters again. Store them together in their own sealed jar and use as needed. There you have it. Rejuvenated 60% beads. Note: you cannot add water directly by faucet or spray bottle because the beads shatter and powder.

Some vendor sources for silica gel beads:

Art Preservation Services - Order | aps
(RH=60%, Rhapid, conditioned silica gel beads, each "sachet" contains approximately 300 grams of silica gel beads)

Talas - ProSorb Silica Gel
(RH=60%, ProSorb, conditioned silica gel beads, each full "cassette" contains approximately 950 grams of silica gel beads)

Talas - Art Sorb Beads
(RH=60%, Art Sorb, conditioned silica gel beads, bulk variety sold per pound)

Gaylord Archival - Gaylord Archival® Preconditioned Silica Gel Packets (6-Pack) | Humidity Control | Environmental Control | Gaylord Archival
(RH=60%, silica gelbeads, each packet contains 0.5 lbs)

as you found, Boveda packs cannot be easily reused.
??? My recharged ones seem to be working fine. I just went a little heavy on the recharge and the gel turned to water, 5 months later and they're back to gel again all the while maintaining my jar of random buds at 58%. I use them to keep my buds from getting too dry. I haven't had any problems drying out my buds yet, they are just a moisture control device as you and I are both suggesting.

It is just a point of an alternative, a less expensive solution... At least that is my thoughts. I looked into Boveda packs and the cost of them, they are not cheap. If I can put a little work into something and save money doing that, what is wrong with it? They both accomplish the same goal. I'm not looking at if one recharges better over the other. I'm looking at the cost of each and having an alternative or choice.

Having said that, what did every one do before Boveda packs?

It is just a point of an alternative, a less expensive solution... At least that is my thoughts. I looked into Boveda packs and the cost of them, they are not cheap. If I can put a little work into something and save money doing that, what is wrong with it? They both accomplish the same goal. I'm not looking at if one recharges better over the other. I'm looking at the cost of each and having an alternative or choice.

Morda says: "
ppm Charlie says: Orange peels.

Morda says: "

ppm Charlie says: Orange peels.
Yeap, that and also lettuce, potato peels, Banana peels... :rofl: Ahhhww those were the days. LOL

You are a true maestro of moisture! :slide:
I remember that old Mexican dirt weed you needed a pair of pliers to break up the buds and then you had dust. LMAO

'Grove Bags" - check them out --- all RH packs have "salts' in them (boveda & Boost_ Grove bags have no salts/chemicals and keep pot at required RH for curring !!!! Have used both boveda and boost Rh packs

'Grove Bags" - check them out --- all RH packs have "salts' in them (boveda & Boost_ Grove bags have no salts/chemicals and keep pot at required RH for curring !!!! Have used both boveda and boost Rh packs
Thank you for your thoughtful input. I have looked into Grove bags in the past. I like the idea of Grove bags and I will try them at some point in the future. However, they are expensive and must be bought in bulk from Grove Bag, the manufacturer (minimum order approximate pricing: quantity of 250 - 1/4 lb bags @ $1.50/ea; quantity of 200 - 1/2lb bags @ $1.60/ea; and, quantity of 100 - 1lb bags @ $4.14/ea). I guess Grove Bag, the manufacturer, mainly sells to dispensaries and growers since they do not sell their products in small bulk lots (10, 25 or 50).

The manufacturer of Grove bag Terloc bags also recommends that the bags be zip-locked and then heat sealed for ultimate protection. Therefore, the bags are not reusable in the sense that they can be reused intact. I suppose a person could reuse them at least once or twice by being careful about cutting them open along the top heat seal so some amount of "flap" remained to heat seal again. However, at some point, the Grove bag would be used up.

I think a person maybe could get a better deal by buying "micro-pore" plastic film or micro-pore plastic bags (breathable plastic) in bulk and heat sealing them themselves to make sealed pouches (micro-pore plastic sheets are meant to keep vegetables fresh on store shelves). It would be a "one-use" strategy, however, it could be done. Or, simply buying alternative breathable RH-62% plastic bags in bulk.

Something like this: Earthwrap | compostable/breathable bags/films

or, this: Rh 62 Humidity Control Pack For Medical Herb - Buy Humidity Control Pack,Rh 62 Humidity Control Pack,Humidity Control Pack For Medical Herb Product on Alibaba.com

Just keep the clear plastic bags in a dark place to avoid UV degradation of sensitive reactive cannabis compounds.

The silica gel beads provide a low cost alternative to moisture control in closed and semi-closed environments. They are reusable many times and are not "one-use" plastic bags that are banned in certain areas because of environmental concerns. Silica gel beads are simply an alternative. There are many products that are available for proper curing and storage of the "magic herb". ppm Charlie

Thank you for your thoughtful input. I have looked into Grove bags in the past. I like the idea of Grove bags and I will try them at some point in the future. However, they are expensive and must be bought in bulk from Grove Bag, the manufacturer (minimum order approximate pricing: quantity of 250 - 1/4 lb bags @ $1.50/ea; quantity of 200 - 1/2lb bags @ $1.60/ea; and, quantity of 100 - 1lb bags @ $4.14/ea). I guess Grove Bag, the manufacturer, mainly sells to dispensaries and growers since they do not sell their products in small bulk lots (10, 25 or 50).

The manufacturer of Grove bag Terloc bags also recommends that the bags be zip-locked and then heat sealed for ultimate protection. Therefore, the bags are not reusable in the sense that they can be reused intact. I suppose a person could reuse them at least once or twice by being careful about cutting them open along the top heat seal so some amount of "flap" remained to heat seal again. However, at some point, the Grove bag would be used up.

I think a person maybe could get a better deal by buying "micro-pore" plastic film or micro-pore plastic bags (breathable plastic) in bulk and heat sealing them themselves to make sealed pouches (micro-pore plastic sheets are meant to keep vegetables fresh on store shelves). It would be a "one-use" strategy, however, it could be done. Or, simply buying alternative breathable RH-62% plastic bags in bulk.

Something like this: Earthwrap | compostable/breathable bags/films

or, this: Rh 62 Humidity Control Pack For Medical Herb - Buy Humidity Control Pack,Rh 62 Humidity Control Pack,Humidity Control Pack For Medical Herb Product on Alibaba.com

Just keep the clear plastic bags in a dark place to avoid UV degradation of sensitive reactive cannabis compounds.

The silica gel beads provide a low cost alternative to moisture control in closed and semi-closed environments. They are reusable many times and are not "one-use" plastic bags that are banned in certain areas because of environmental concerns. Silica gel beads are simply an alternative. There are many products that are available for proper curing and storage of the "magic herb". ppm Charlie
another post with excellant information -- Thanks !! at present use "a,ber? mason jars - maybe for a person that yields are not too coud use thwm (grove bags) if one does order a size bigger than you need

another post with excellant information -- Thanks !! at present use "a,ber? mason jars - maybe for a person that yields are not too coud use thwm (grove bags) if one does order a size bigger than you need
Or, maybe if you know others that want to use Grove bags, you can split up the cost and buy in bulk. Like going to COSTCO and splitting bulk buys with family and friends (Q: who needs 50lbs of rice, A: but the price was right and everyone loves to get quality items at a reduced cost). LOL!

Back
Top Bottom