Making The SH Mistic Cloner

JonnyBtreed, excellent DIY thread +reps

Wish I had read it before my lame attempt - wasted a lot of time on an humidity dome.

I did buy another tub... looks like that $3 went to good use!

I was wondering doe's the fogger heat up the water and do you run the fogger all the time or do you you run it on an on and off cycle?
plus having trubble finding foggers where woud you guys look for one ? and is there different sizes?

hiway, try a petshop or a hydro store...

Tonight i build! pics thursday.

stay up ya'll.

f_clones-.JPG

yup, i built it. had a heck of a time getting the fogger to work, returned one even.
fog11.JPG

fog3.JPG

fog21.JPG

i don't know if you can see it here, but the fog rises up and out of the holes...

btw, it does heat the water up. substantially. but i don't think it's going to harm them. probably help. i made these cuttings on the 1st. i'll let ya know when they're rooted.

yup, i built it. had a heck of a time getting the fogger to work, returned one even.

i don't know if you can see it here, but the fog rises up and out of the holes...

btw, it does heat the water up. substantially. but i don't think it's going to harm them. probably help. i made these cuttings on the 1st. i'll let ya know when they're rooted.

Alright, trial by fire! Great to see your build and I can't wait for the report!

f_clones-.JPG

Very nice looking man! beautiful job! When were the pics taken? Did you get your fogger from my link? Yes it does warm up the water, but technically the water (while cloning ) should actually be warmer then the ambient air temp.

They normally slump a little bit in the beginning and then straighten back up overnight when the lights go off. If they Don't straighten back up within a day or two, they got air in the cut and will most likely not root.

You should see little bubbles on the first cut underwater but not on the second. If you see it on the second, move up a little further and cut again underwater, then immediately into the gel. Whats you RH in there?

thanks man. couldn't have done it without ya.

hk1-.JPG

i took the pictures yesterday. i think i may have gotten air in the one HK. this picture above is of the other one (not the air one). as you can see, it looks good. the super crystal cuttings (close ones) look liek they are droopy cause of where the neoprene is holding the cutting.. i had to place the neoprene puck on an internode so i would beable to extend the cutting low enough. also, the leaves look bend and limp because they were under a beaker for humidity (old habits die hard) it looks like the all the gel has washed off the cuttings from the mist, though.

i haven't tested the RH in my tub, but i'm sure it's 100% or close to it. the thing is filled with fog. :D the RH in my veg space is about 50-60%.

5 stars from me too Johnny!

One question - I understand the first underwater cut to make sure there are no embolisms, but why the second 1" up? Forgive my lack of cloning knowledge.

5 stars from me too Johnny!

One question - I understand the first underwater cut to make sure there are no embolisms, but why the second 1" up? Forgive my lack of cloning knowledge.

Personal experience. That's how I was taught and that's how I teach others. If you happen to miss all of the air on your first cut there might still be some trapped in there, which might not kill the cutting, but will certainly stunt it's growth. Take your cuttings long. Then you have plenty to work with. Also the more nodes exposed in the rooting area the more hormone is sent to the area and the quicker your going to see roots.

My reasoning being, when you make a cut on a plant, it creates a vacuum, drawing air up into the cut. As I'm sure 99% of you know, cannabis is hollow in the very center. Different types (indica or sativa) and strains grow differently with a different dilation or space in the center or the stem. This also has to do with the amount of transpiration the plant is going through. I've noticed hydro plants are generally ALWAYS "more hollow" in the center because of their environment. They tend to transpire more fluid through their leaves which creates a need for more fluid to travel up the stem, which in turn creates a need for a larger passageway for fluids. Which I believe is an underlying factor as to why hydro gardens are "more effective producers" than soil. The ability to absorb, use and transpire water and nutrients more effectively.

and thanks for the great rating, I'm very happy I could help.

Thanks for the quick response Jonny!

I understand now - kind of extra insurance against that center hollow having any air.

Thanks again for the tutorial - I've never cloned before, and this thread has helped get my confidence up for that first cut on the Afghani momma I'm nursing back to health.

Thanks for the quick response Jonny!

I understand now - kind of extra insurance against that center hollow having any air.

Thanks again for the tutorial - I've never cloned before, and this thread has helped get my confidence up for that first cut on the Afghani momma I'm nursing back to health.

Ha, sorry that last response was a bit patchy, I had wrote the whole thing and responded without even answering you original question... Time for abowl to help keep me on track. Damn ADD...

:smokin:

So I went back and edited a bit.

:roorrip:

But yeah. Cloning is simple. It's all about having the right tools for the job. And good luck with it, If you have any questions about any kind of cloning, please feel free to ask! I try to check up and respond to my threads as quickly as possible.

This is a great thread, i've seen those same rubbermaid tubs at wal-mart for about 3 bucks. I don't know that I'd use a 5 gallon bucket for cloning but if I did I would definately get or make a fogger buoy(boo-ee) which if you would just buy one there is detailed informatin below the foggers on the link from the first page.foggers
Basically you could put 3-4 gallons of water in the bucket and feel safe that the fogger is going to get enough fog to the bottom of the cuts. I myself would just hold rig up my own homemade device to keep it at the appropriate depth under water but sometimes purchasing one is easy when you are already getting a fogger. :ganjamon:

Great Job!

Musik :peace:

My reasoning being, when you make a cut on a plant, it creates a vacuum, drawing air up into the cut. As I'm sure 99% of you know, cannabis is hollow in the very center. Different types (indica or sativa) and strains grow differently with a different dilation or space in the center or the stem. This also has to do with the amount of transpiration the plant is going through. I've noticed hydro plants are generally ALWAYS "more hollow" in the center because of their environment. They tend to transpire more fluid through their leaves which creates a need for more fluid to travel up the stem, which in turn creates a need for a larger passageway for fluids. Which I believe is an underlying factor as to why hydro gardens are "more effective producers" than soil. The ability to absorb, use and transpire water and nutrients more effectively.

and thanks for the great rating, I'm very happy I could help.

A perfect picture example of how hollow a branch can actually be courtesy of C5Rftw. He said water actually POURED out the cut after it was taken.

Picture_00639.jpg

Back
Top Bottom