Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

Sara do you know the speed on the fans, the RPM, and the CFM

this is an example of information I need .

Dimension 120 x 120 x 25
Air Flow 37 CFM
Noise 20.2 dBA
Speed 1000 RPM

Hi, I am new to growing and just picked up a Mars II 900w. I used a 400w HPS-HID system last year once. The seeds were the ashtray strain. I had some good results. . I bought the standard set up. Could someone give me the name of a few types that I can get from Herbies that would be good for a new grower. Do I need to suppliment my light? What would be a good nutrient for flowering that comes from a discreet source?

What would be a good nutrient for flowering that comes from a discreet source?

I think General Hydroponics Flora Series is great for new growers. It's ph buffered which helps hold your ph steady. I think ph is the biggest issue for new growers. Use Pro-Mix HP, add 20% Perlite and 1 Tbsp dolomite lime per gallon of medium. Pro-Mix has dolomite, but may not be enough. The dolomite is a source of calcium and magnesium which helps going into flower (and LEDs seem to exacerbate this common deficiency). I go toward a "heaping" measure.

As far as seeds, I think autoflowers are great for beginners. They do their thing on a built-in schedule. You don't have to deal with switching to 12/12 lighting. Light leaks don't matter, which means you can work on your grow during what would have been "lights out." They finish faster than photosensitives, which keeps it fun. Criticisms are that they aren't as potent, use more electricity and wear on lights (because you keep them at 16/8 the entire grow), don't produce as much as photos. But, my first grow produced 6.5 oz from a single plant. Some friends with high tolerance say it's strong by their standards.

I don't consider myself a beginner anymore, but I'm thinking about growing autos exclusively. Like, a perpetual grow with 4-5 plants in a 4x4 tent. Harvest one every 3 weeks, adding a new seedling at the same time. I've only grown "Northern Storm." It's not available from Herbies.

I'm also considering going back to GH Flora. I'm using Grow More Sea Grow. It's priced like Miracle Grow products (which few cannabis growers recommend), and as simple to use. It's more organic. But, I really like the stable ph of GH Flora. I'd like to try GH Nova which is more organic. If it has the buffers (which I believe it does), that might be the sweet spot for me. (Sea Grow is working great. Definitely saving a ton of money. But, my ph was more stable with GH Flora.).

Good luck.

What az2000 said was good except I would not grow autos as first grow. I would grow photoperiod plants, as to exact strain there are a TON of good strains it all about what you like.

I grew photos and one auto as my first grow. Initially I wasn't enthused about the auto. I ended up loving it.

Not trying to take away from your advice which I'm sure is more experienced. But, just wanted to add some context to why I suggested what I did. Cheers!

Hi SmokeSara, I sent you an email... need some help
kind regards

Hi, I am new to growing and just picked up a Mars II 900w. I used a 400w HPS-HID system last year once. The seeds were the ashtray strain. I had some good results. . I bought the standard set up. Could someone give me the name of a few types that I can get from Herbies that would be good for a new grower. Do I need to suppliment my light? What would be a good nutrient for flowering that comes from a discreet source?

northern lights seeds easy to grow. don't stretch much under LED

Advanced nutrients PH perfect, no need for ph up or down

Which one should i get for veg? the 192 x 3w reflector, the mars 2 900 or 1200? I am using a 4x4 tray. I want my girls to be thick and stubby.. lol.

neither get 125 watt CFL instead... the 3 watt has to much red for veg and so does the mars 2. you want blue, and as for thick and stubby, 1 , it depends on strain. if you want supper dense buds even low down then get the mars 2, in your tent for flowering, go for the 1200 watt. or 2 x 900 watt.

or you can get the veg spectrum like i did lots of blue and whites no reds.
photo_4_2_14.JPG

I use my Mars2 900 standard spectrum for veg and it works great , why would you say not to use it for veg, I don't understand.

I have the 3 watt thought it would be good for veg , however I noticed the plants did not respond well in veg to the 3 watt LED. I noticed slow grow and deficiencies, I also have a 4 ft 5T setup for veg, and the plants loved this light so much better, good strong growth, also cfl's are cheaper to buy , and give of less heat, in one tent I have an 85 watt CFL and this works very well.

This is just my ways of doing things.

Mungo, I don't have the 3 watt so I can't comment on them but my Mars2 works better than my 4' 6 bulb t5.ho fixture because light intensity is greater on the lower branches. With t5's you lose a lot of usable light as soon as you get a few inches away from the bulbs. Like you said tho, everybody's different. I still use my t5's, but only when the plants are short.

Back
Top Bottom