Medium question

Coco coir is a very easy stepping stone to hydroponics. Much more forgivin when mistakes are made but can out perform anything when you become experienced with it. I have a 'how to grow in coco' thread in my signature thats worth a flick through.

However remember this.....

Different mediums make differences as do nutes etc. BUT before you do anything make sure your environment is good, its the no1 most important thin in growing.

Also makesure you have adequate lighting if going hydro as plants have a much higher demand for everything, minimum 400w m2 but to be honest i would never grow with less than 600w per m2.

man thanks, think im gonna give it a shot, just started two girls in soil, about a week old, got some coco and perlite and try germination to bud in that, see how they compare , the coco just seems easier to regulate nutes,

Just make sure you feed nutes everyday in coco and start from the moment you transplant. Coco is hydro and must be treated as such. Keep ph between 5.5-5.8 in veg and 5.8-6.2 in flower. Dont over do nutrients. BUT FEED EVERY DAY. check my grows and 'how to' thread if you are going the hydro route. there are way more qualified folk here to guide you in soil but i can help you with hydro with anything you are unsure of.

thanks again, i would eventually like to be in total hydro. thried it once and bombed out, i live and learn though, like the idea of coco for ph adjustments also, gonna try a few ideas and post results as much as possible . great news is if all girls take off i have to get more lights lmao

no.
the great thing about coco is it's ability to retain enough water to keep the roots happy
but it drains exceptionally well, so you don't have to worry about drowning your plant
when I'm in full flower mode I water/feed twice a day. Some do even more than that!

You technically cant over water coco. Coco is true hydroponics so im not sure what you mean? The only thing in common it has with soil is that it looks vaguely similar. Just dont allow plants to sit in trays with run off. Its best for coco to feed enough so that pots are light to lift 24 hours later. You only need to multifeed if using an automated system. Once per day an hour after lights on. Dont drown plants, its harder when they babies but you want the coco partially dried before each feed. If you keep the coco wet it will attract fungus gnats. Just have a read of my thread cos that will stop me repeating myself mate.

Coco has treated me well with consistent solid yields and healthy plants. Cult really knows his stuff. He is a professional. You can't go wrong listening to him. Read through his threads. ;)

Just make sure you feed nutes everyday in coco and start from the moment you transplant. Coco is hydro and must be treated as such. Keep ph between 5.5-5.8 in veg and 5.8-6.2 in flower. Dont over do nutrients. BUT FEED EVERY DAY. check my grows and 'how to' thread if you are going the hydro route. there are way more qualified folk here to guide you in soil but i can help you with hydro with anything you are unsure of.

I watched that cool guy on you tube groweasy or growpotcheap i forget, but he said rotating between feeding and watering , you should water with at least 200ppm or 300ppm to not shock the plant with zero or low ppm.
Does this make sense?

I've grown in coco for a few years and have switched to original hempy buckets. I like it a lot better - no calcium deficiencies, no pH fluctuations, no bugs, and it requires a lot less nutes and water because they are only fed every other day instead of twice a day. There is nothing simpler in my opinion - unless I get bored, I won't go back. Good luck whatever you choose. :)

going to make the jump to coco , two questions , the Mycorrhizae , is this added as a water
nutrient , if so how much . ive got seedling just started in a seed soil mix, I am going to presume
it will be okay transplanting this to my coco mix. thanks

Hello.
This is my 2nd grow ever. I have been using 100% Perlite with Canna Aqua nutrients. It is a hand-fed feed-to-waste system. Water is not recycled here, outside on the roses, yes.
Positive sides; Perlite is so freaking easy to use. It is impossible to overfeed/nute burn. It retains 0,00% water, so the roots are max aerated. It is almost 100% Pest free. NO Mold*, no root aphids. You can rinse/clean/dry/reuse**.
* = If you use an algae nutrient, algae will grow on perlite that sees light, do NOT use see-through solo cups. Only solid colours!!
**= You need room, lots of room for washing, drying, and collecting of used and/or washed perlite. Its light but has a huge volumetric size. A 100 L bag is about the size (not weight) of a 50lb bag of taters...
Negative sides; Frequent watering req'd, depending on size of plant, and length of watering, up to 3 x day... (!!)
The dust is dangerous!! Not for the plants, but for you!! This is the stuff that comes out of active volcanoes, causing pyroclastic avalanches. The dust is like fine glass crystals (See sand and the silica therein). This is the stuff that suffocates humans, and causes massive problems in aircraft engines.. It bakes onto the hot parts inside the engines, causing overheating (Plugged/blocked cooling holes) and therefore material failures.
I had contacted Canna about the nutes, was I using the propper nute. The answer I got was long winded and litterally said nothing, I haven+t found anyone who grows aswell on 100 % perlite, so my questions about smell and aroma have remained unanswered. Info: The kick is ok. The smell and aroma are almost not there... After 5 weeks in a jar, the final batch slowly started to develope smell and flavor. I will have to cure longer before getting into the harvest. More patience needed.
Mounty

Back
Top Bottom