MegaBudz

420 Member
About Me:
I frequented these forums as far back as 2013 trolling for grow info of every kind. I finally created an account in 2017 with intentions to make a grow journal. Then life just got too busy and I was unable to, eventually shutting down my grow. I learned so much from these forums and especially loved the Journals.
A few weeks ago I decided to start a new grow and in an effort to give back to the community that helped me so much, I will chronicle it in this grow journal.
Everyone is Welcome Here.
Questions, Criticism, and Debate all makes us better growers so please chime in

Let The Grow Begin
I will be growing two CBD Lemon Feminized Auto's (17% THC 17% CBD 40% sativa 60% indica)from seed. One will be sacrificed to create feminized seeds using the STS (Silver Thiosulfate Solution). I only have two of these seeds so I have to make them count.
The Soil
I will be making a custom blend organic soil (Ingredients Recipe to come)
The Lights
This is sure to get some discussion

(Cheap Lights) I have 6 - 4ft T5 3000k 20w led shop lights that cost $49
8 - 4ft T5 6500k 20w led shop lights that cost $59
6 - 4ft T8 full spectrum 42w led grow light strips cost $99
I also have a 4 bulb 4ft t5 florescent and some cfl's
Grow Area
I have a room that is about 7ft x 12ft with 6ft high ceiling (In the process of seting it up). I also have a 4ft x 2ft grow tent

Bonus Coverage
I also have two Fem The Church CBD(8-11% THC 8-11% CBD 40% sativa 60% indica) planted & two Mimosa Shot Fem (30% THC 35% sativa 65% indica) planted. One of each will be grown as Mothers for cloning and the other one of each will be grown to harvest

Pull up a seat get out the popcorn and most of all don't be a stranger cause I would love to hear from you:popcorn:

About Me:
I frequented these forums as far back as 2013 trolling for grow info of every kind. I finally created an account in 2017 with intentions to make a grow journal. Then life just got too busy and I was unable to, eventually shutting down my grow. I learned so much from these forums and especially loved the Journals.
A few weeks ago I decided to start a new grow and in an effort to give back to the community that helped me so much, I will chronicle it in this grow journal.
Everyone is Welcome Here.
Questions, Criticism, and Debate all makes us better growers so please chime in

Let The Grow Begin
I will be growing two CBD Lemon Feminized Auto's (17% THC 17% CBD 40% sativa 60% indica)from seed. One will be sacrificed to create feminized seeds using the STS (Silver Thiosulfate Solution). I only have two of these seeds so I have to make them count.
The Soil
I will be making a custom blend organic soil (Ingredients Recipe to come)
The Lights
This is sure to get some discussion

(Cheap Lights) I have 6 - 4ft T5 3000k 20w led shop lights that cost $49
8 - 4ft T5 6500k 20w led shop lights that cost $59
6 - 4ft T8 full spectrum 42w led grow light strips cost $99
I also have a 4 bulb 4ft t5 florescent and some cfl's
Grow Area
I have a room that is about 7ft x 12ft with 6ft high ceiling (In the process of seting it up). I also have a 4ft x 2ft grow tent

Bonus Coverage
I also have two Fem The Church CBD(8-11% THC 8-11% CBD 40% sativa 60% indica) planted & two Mimosa Shot Fem (30% THC 35% sativa 65% indica) planted. One of each will be grown as Mothers for cloning and the other one of each will be grown to harvest

Pull up a seat get out the popcorn and most of all don't be a stranger cause I would love to hear from you:popcorn:
Good morning @MegaBudz let me be the first to officially welcome you to the forum. :welcome:
I'm so glad you finally decided to make a journal.
And as stated your right that light choice will get some discussion.
It's possible to grow pot with fluorescent lights I guess.
Wouldn't want to try but I won't bother you about it.
We all do the best we can with what we have available.
Fek I can't leave that.
@ViparSpectra has led's for similar prices as your T5's.
If you want some decent bud to smoke after all that work I'd check them out.
Flowering under a t5 will get you virtually nothing from autos.:Namaste:
I can't stress that enough, you will be disappointed.
I'm sorry but it's better to look into something now while you have lots of time.
I hope I'm not sounding pushy.
Just want you to be happy in the end is all.
So how are those beans doing? :popcorn:

Happy growing on your first journal.
May all your harvests be bountiful. :green_heart:

Stay safe
Bill

Good morning @MegaBudz let me be the first to officially welcome you to the forum. :welcome:
I'm so glad you finally decided to make a journal.
And as stated your right that light choice will get some discussion.
It's possible to grow pot with fluorescent lights I guess.
Wouldn't want to try but I won't bother you about it.
We all do the best we can with what we have available.
Fek I can't leave that.
@ViparSpectra has led's for similar prices as your T5's.
If you want some decent bud to smoke after all that work I'd check them out.
Flowering under a t5 will get you virtually nothing from autos.:Namaste:
I can't stress that enough, you will be disappointed.
I'm sorry but it's better to look into something now while you have lots of time.
I hope I'm not sounding pushy.
Just want you to be happy in the end is all.
So how are those beans doing? :popcorn:

Happy growing on your first journal.
May all your harvests be bountiful. :green_heart:

Stay safe
Bill
Thanks @Bill284 for your input I truly appreciate it. No I don't think you're sounding pushy and I am actually looking for critical debate so as to stimulate the brain into figuring out how to get the most out of this as possible.

And WOW!! Congratulations on such an Impressive 2021 thats a lot of awards and accomplishments. Nice Job!
Maybe if I can accomplish a fraction of that I might win a nice light LOL

The first three sets of lights I mentioned are all led's the t5 and t8 are just size designations I guess. I will post pics of them soon

Background on Light Choice
So I originally purchased the shop lights for just that a shop. Then my crazy little brain started thinking "HUM" I wonder if those would work as grow lights, mainly as extra lighting in the corners of my grow tent, since they were of the right spectrum. Then I thought "HUM" I wonder how those would do as the primary grow lights. "You always know when I start thinking "HUM" I'm about to challenge myself "
Knowing that those lights were probably not going to be quite enough I decided to get the full spectrum 42w lights to maybe get there.
I am by no means implying that these lights will even come close to comparing to better, more expensive lights.
So this is really just an experimental challenge to myself to see what I can do with this setup and what kind of harvest I can produce
Warning Do Not Try This at Home as you could be highly dissapointed investing your hard earned money and time. So just join in here and you can waste my money and time and be a Big part of the Experiment
You Just Never Know

As for my beans just got them yesterday and planted them(will elaborate in my next post)

The Seeds
The seeds arrived yesterday 4/15/22. I have 11 different strains and 41 total seeds.
Before I go any further I would like to give a big thumbs up and thank you to @Herbies Seeds Since 2013 its where I have always ordered my seeds from. They have always been reliable and quick to get my order to me. They always give you plenty of free seeds with every order. They also give you a discount if you pay with bitcoin which is right up my alley

The grow area is not ready yet so I decided to start with the least aromatic strains I had so l planted:
2 - CBD Lemon Feminized Auto's (17% THC 17% CBD 40% sativa 60% indica) free seeds
2 - Fem The Church CBD (8-11% THC 8-11% CBD 40% sativa 60% indica)
2 - Mimosa Shot Fem (30% THC 35% sativa 65% indica)

I started them in Rapid Rooter plugs. I'm a firm believer in that seeds don't need nothing but water and some plain peat moss and all the Rapid Rooters are made of is peat and some binder to give them that sponge like action. So thought I'd try them for the first time

Resize_20220416_111458_8912.jpg

:rofl: The Seeds
The seeds arrived yesterday 4/15/22. I have 11 different strains and 41 total seeds.
Before I go any further I would like to give a big thumbs up and thank you to @Herbies Seeds Since 2013 its where I have always ordered my seeds from. They have always been reliable and quick to get my order to me. They always give you plenty of free seeds with every order. They also give you a discount if you pay with bitcoin which is right up my alley

The grow area is not ready yet so I decided to start with the least aromatic strains I had so l planted:
2 - CBD Lemon Feminized Auto's (17% THC 17% CBD 40% sativa 60% indica) free seeds
2 - Fem The Church CBD (8-11% THC 8-11% CBD 40% sativa 60% indica)
2 - Mimosa Shot Fem (30% THC 35% sativa 65% indica)

I started them in Rapid Rooter plugs. I'm a firm believer in that seeds don't need nothing but water and some plain peat moss and all the Rapid Rooters are made of is peat and some binder to give them that sponge like action. So thought I'd try them for the first time

Resize_20220416_111458_8912.jpg
Well you have your mind set so who am I to argue.
Quick result to your experiment.
I started with 1000w hps, fantastic.
But heat and electricity costs forced a change.
1000w led from Zon was the replacement.
Well 2 months later my bonsai plants were ready for harvest.
Complete waste of time and money.
That light went in the clone room.
I ordered 3900 watts from @ViparSpectra .
Great lights would recommend them highly.
Economical and reliable.
But I'm not trying to get you to change.
Just telling my failure story.
Hopefully you get some decent bud.
Any sprouts yet? :rofl:

Stay safe
Bill

Well you have your mind set so who am I to argue.
Quick result to your experiment.
I started with 1000w hps, fantastic.
But heat and electricity costs forced a change.
1000w led from Zon was the replacement.
Well 2 months later my bonsai plants were ready for harvest.
Complete waste of time and money.
That light went in the clone room.
I ordered 3900 watts from @ViparSpectra .
Great lights would recommend them highly.
Economical and reliable.
But I'm not trying to get you to change.
Just telling my failure story.
Hopefully you get some decent bud.
Any sprouts yet? :rofl:

Stay safe
Bill
Thanks @Bill284 I appreciate the input and the advice. I highly respect you and your opinion. I hope you stick around cause I'm sure to learn a lot from you.
I by no means expect this to compare to the results one would get using the @ViparSpectra 3900
That is a nice light, I was checking it out along with some others from 420 sponsors because I will be in the market for one when I get my grow room done. So far that looks to be a front runner to me.
Speaking of My Grow Room Progress
I've been hard at it. It's coming along but still a ways to go

Resize_20220418_001744_4839.jpg

I did get the tent cleaned up and sterilized so I can get this grow going in it.
As for my beans no sprouts yet, I couldn't find my heat mat so I didn't have them in optimal conditions. I'll make sure I get them warmed up tomorrow.
It's been 48 hrs and I'm kinda anxious to see some green LOL

Thanks @Bill284 I appreciate the input and the advice. I highly respect you and your opinion. I hope you stick around cause I'm sure to learn a lot from you.
I by no means expect this to compare to the results one would get using the @ViparSpectra 3900
That is a nice light, I was checking it out along with some others from 420 sponsors because I will be in the market for one when I get my grow room done. So far that looks to be a front runner to me.
Speaking of My Grow Room Progress
I've been hard at it. It's coming along but still a ways to go

Resize_20220418_001744_4839.jpg

I did get the tent cleaned up and sterilized so I can get this grow going in it.
As for my beans no sprouts yet, I couldn't find my heat mat so I didn't have them in optimal conditions. I'll make sure I get them warmed up tomorrow.
It's been 48 hrs and I'm kinda anxious to see some green LOL
:woohoo: bring in the beans :woohoo:
Maby slide a piece of Styrofoam sm under the tent before you fill it.
Cement floors give ladies cold feet.
A little insulation now will help.
Roots work best above 18c.
Happy growing my friend.

Stay safe
Bill

:woohoo: bring in the beans :woohoo:
Maby slide a piece of Styrofoam sm under the tent before you fill it.
Cement floors give ladies cold feet.
A little insulation now will help.
Roots work best above 18c.
Happy growing my friend.

Stay safe
Bill
That's a great Idea, Will definitely put some insulation down, I have some leftover from another project too.
Last night I set the beans on my hot water heater to warm them up.
Good News
I see Life Emerging from the Soil

Resize_20220418_164904_4624.jpg

how much you got in that cash wise ?

i'm sure at some point could just invest in a real rig for what those rails cost.

it's innovative for sure. there's loads of things you can do. i built my own cob rigs. you should check out some of the diy strip builds. @Nunyabiz and others built their own strip rigs that rival any mfgr. it's not that hard to do if cost is an issue.

i recommend having a look at led gardener dot com for loads of info including example builds. also keep watch on what our sponsors are offering.

Hello @MegaBudz :welcome:
Gotta admire your enterprise, been there lol
Can't see it being strong enough for good buds unless you lst it flat and have the light 8" away, but even then...
We'll see how it does when you put some light meters (plants) under it :hookah:
Thanks @Growings for stopping by my journal, appreciate the complement, We are just getting started hear so I hope you stick around.
I do plan to LST to keep everything even and get the most out of the lights. As for the distance of the lights I'm sure I will have to keep them as close as possible. What that distance is will take plenty of testing and experimenting to figure it out. And that we will do right here in this journal.
Good buds you say I'm rooting for "MegaBudz" LoL

how much you got in that cash wise ?

i'm sure at some point could just invest in a real rig for what those rails cost.

it's innovative for sure. there's loads of things you can do. i built my own cob rigs. you should check out some of the diy strip builds. @Nunyabiz and others built their own strip rigs that rival any mfgr. it's not that hard to do if cost is an issue.

i recommend having a look at led gardener dot com for loads of info including example builds. also keep watch on what our sponsors are offering.
Thanks @bluter for stopping by. Seems to me I have some top notch growers on board here @Bill284 , @Growings , and now you @bluter. The knowledge should just start spewing all over the place.

How much cash in Lights?
$8 each in the 20w light strips x 10 lights = $80
$16.66 each in the 42w full spectrum light strips = $100
The makerbeam I had leftover from some crypto mining rigs I built. So that's the only reason I used it.

I did check out @Nunyabiz diy strip build. That was pretty awesome hopefully he'll chime in here at some point, would love to hear from him.

I glanced at led gardener. I will definitely be checking it out more cause I do like to build some things, in case you didn't notice. And if I buy a pre built light I would definitely support one of the sponsors.

This is really an experiment to prove one way or another, is it really worth it messing around with the cheap stuff or are you better off just buying a decent light. And what kind of result can I get with these cheap lights. So others can learn from a well documented experience.

The Mad Scientist has emerged from within me and I think I have to expand this experiment to include hard evidence either way. More on that in a future post "stay tuned"

Hope you're in it for the long haul cause this is gonna get Good

Update
The Little ladies are growing Like Weeds
CBD Lemon Auto and The Church CBD are both doing great
The Mimosa Shot has not shown any signs of life yet (Fingers Crossed)
My fabric pots should be here Tuesday so I will Mix up the soil this week end and do some transplanting next week.

Resize_20220421_212555_5605.jpg

Resize_20220421_212554_4034.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom