Molasses for stickier buds?

I'd need to do more research on the effect of chems on myco, but that doesn't change one thing, myco don't feed on molasses, but on sugars released by the roots :) There are different kind of sugars, like glucose and sacharose for instance, and they will feed different species of bacteria. Also, presence of fertilizer high in P will inhibit growth of myco. That's not an easy subject to understand as it's very complex and environment-dependent!

Oh another thought. If ive vegged using chem nutes killing all the microbes in the soil, and now switch to organics in the flowering stage will the microbes come back or are they dead and gone now?

Ok so new plan Step1. Flush Flush FLush. Step2. Replace top Inch of soil with fresh compost. Step 3. Water with molasses (so the new microbes can have a feast) Step 4. Make own fertiliser of dried banana and peel, coffee grounds and crushed egg shell. Step 5. Feed the organic ferts for the rest of grow :)

Oh another thought. If ive vegged using chem nutes killing all the microbes in the soil, and now switch to organics in the flowering stage will the microbes come back or are they dead and gone now?

You could reinoculate probably. I'd mix inoculant with compost tea, and apply it like that. But myco need at least 4 weeks to grow mycelium around the roots, so after early flowering it stops making any sense.

You could reinoculate probably. I'd mix inoculant with compost tea, and apply it like that. But myco need at least 4 weeks to grow mycelium around the roots, so after early flowering it stops making any sense.

i have approximately 5 weeks left of flowering so i might be too later i'll let you know how it turns out!

I was sent the following link regarding Soil Microbiology FAQs and one of the FAQs was "Do inorganic fertilizers and other chemical inputs harm the soil microbial population?". The quote that struck me the most was "Short of incineration its hard to imagine a stress in a soil that would lead to complete extermination of the microbial populations." So it would appear that while organic nutrients have less of a negative impact on microbial activity than inorganic nutrients, inorganic nutrients do not wipeout microbial activity as was stated earlier and therefore can still be used with a live medium with success. Comments?

Impact of Organic and Inorganic Fertilizers on Microbial Populations and Biomass Carbon in Paddy Field Soil

Abstract

A field experiment was conducted to examine the microbial populations and microbial biomass carbon under organic and inorganic farming practices in paddy (variety IR-64) fields. The organic fertilizer used was a mixture of farmyard manure, rock phosphate and neem cake, while on the other hand for inorganic fertilizer, a mixture of urea, single super phosphate and muriate of potash was used. Microbial population counts were analysed from samples collected from the surface (0-15 cm) and sub-surface (15-30 cm) soil depths of the treated plots by soil plate and dilution plate methods for fungi and bacteria, respectively. Results obtained showed that the organically treated plot recorded the maximum microbial population counts (fungal and bacterial) and microbial biomass carbon, followed by the inorganically treated plot and control. A significant variation in fungal population was found between control and treated plots (organic and inorganic) at the surface soil depth, whereas at the sub-surface soil depth it was between all the plots (Tukey’s test at p≤0.05). Organic plot exhibited a significant variation in bacterial population (both the soil depths) with the inorganically treated plot and control (Tukey’s test at p≤0.05). Organic carbon showed significant positive correlation with fungal and bacterial populations (p≤0.05). The application of organic fertilizers increased the organic carbon content of the soil and thereby increasing the microbial counts and microbial biomass carbon. The use of inorganic fertilizers resulted in low organic carbon content, microbial counts and microbial biomass carbon of the soil, although it increased the soil’s NPK level which could be explained by the rates of fertilizers being applied.

Further reading: Impact of Organic and Inorganic Fertilizers on Microbial Populations and Biomass Carbon in Paddy Field Soil

No, it won't kill it completely. You're just gonna limit your microlife to a point, where the only choice is to pump more chemical ferts to keep up with demand for nutrients.

We should maybe take into account when reading this experiment that the chemicals applied to the paddy fields were Industrial grade chemicals (The stuff farmers spray on crops and fertilise the soil with tend to be much stronger than store bought chemicals in my experience and applied in much higher concentrations than we would apply to our babies).

Having read both articles I am now more confused than when i started out. :p I guess we can all agree that organics are friendlier to the microbes and fungi populations of soil But only marginally according to the results tables from the paddy field study.

I wonder how much effect this marginal difference has on Yield and growth rates. It would be cool if someone with space for multiple plants and a lot a free time could test these effects for us i am still on the fence. :morenutes::geek:

Teaspoon huh. I tried it last year with the first girl I ever grew, later in flower. I was told a tablespoon to a gallon. My buds were so, so sticky, sweet smelly hairy things that dried nicely into little balls of resin. I was very lucky.

5790.jpg

I use one tablespoon of UNSULPHURED BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES per gallon per plant. Unsulphured Blackstrap is the only type of molasses you should use, not that you can't use the other types, they will just not have the same benefits as the Unsulphured Blackstrap will have. Check out this webpage Molasses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If you look into how molasses is made or rather how it turns into a byproduct of sugar production, you can see that unsulphured blackstrap is the final boiling of the cane juice and it leaves behind every trace mineral that is in nature as well as beneficial sucrose and other food for soil and root zones. I use this gift from Mother earth to feed my soil, root zone and plants between Nutrient feedings. Check out the results in my journals.

Greenest Gardens :yummy:

I've tried all kinds of experiments to test this kind of thing. I haven't noticed anything different with stickiness by using different types of sugar. I also haven't noticed any difference between brown sugar and molasses, except brown sugar is cheaper.

In fact, regular ole cheap sugar does the same thing.

All I have noticed sugar doing is giving the weed a slightly sweeter smell and smoother flavor.

Back
Top Bottom