Munki's 576 Watt LED & Hempy Style Flower Power

Beautiful plants, such colorful grow room shots! Never had to deal w/ PM and don't want to - good save it sounds scary. And the smoke looks bomb - Happy harvestin' !

Prevention is ALWAYS better than treating or curing a problem for sure. However, learning to deal with pests and fungal attacks does help strengthen my growing skills.

Keys to avoiding PM: Keep air moving in the grow space at all times. Keep humidity down. Avoid plant overcrowding (helps in keeping the airflow moving).

I expected to get a male plant or two when I grew out my seeds. The "success" of getting all females helped lead to overcrowding in my tent which did not allow me to get a good fan in the space which led to bad airflow. Humidity went up for about 10 days and BINGO ... got mildew.

Thanks for coming by the grow, Growheart.

Hey Munki, Those purpling leaves:

110110-pic3.JPG

I'm thinking it's the leds... but if that's natural, woweee!

Pretty garden :thumb:

:peace:

Hey Munki, Those purpling leaves:

110110-pic3.JPG

I'm thinking it's the leds... but if that's natural, woweee!

Pretty garden :thumb:

No LED panels in the tent at this time. They needed to be used at a trade show, so I swapped them out and put in 1200 watts of HID lighting. So, yeah, those leaves are purpling. :hippy: I think that it is happening quickly due to the PM treatments I've applied. Most likely, it is from the sodium bicarbonate or baking soda (NaHCO3). Premature aging of the leaves. All good as these plants will be chopped in a few days.
:peacetwo:

No LED panels in the tent at this time. They needed to be used at a trade show, so I swapped them out and put in 1200 watts of HID lighting. So, yeah, those leaves are purpling. :hippy: I think that it is happening quickly due to the PM treatments I've applied. Most likely, it is from the sodium bicarbonate or baking soda (NaHCO3). Premature aging of the leaves. All good as these plants will be chopped in a few days.
:peacetwo:

Man, then those girls get a double wowee. When ever we used to get purple plants (outdoors) clients would go nuts for them. I never could tell any difference over green stuff, except maybe the purple was a little harsher.

Purple also seemed pretty random. Mostly seemed to happen after some plants got a little frost ( temp not trichs :)), but maybe age is it, since they're usually pretty old if they get frosted. Eskimo on the iceberg thing?

If the baking soda does it, I can see it now: Munki's Purple Powder. Purples yer plants, and keeps yer shoes and fridge smelling like the great outdoors :Rasta:

Man, then those girls get a double wowee. When ever we used to get purple plants (outdoors) clients would go nuts for them. I never could tell any difference over green stuff, except maybe the purple was a little harsher.

Purple also seemed pretty random. Mostly seemed to happen after some plants got a little frost ( temp not trichs :)), but maybe age is it, since they're usually pretty old if they get frosted. Eskimo on the iceberg thing?

If the baking soda does it, I can see it now: Munki's Purple Powder. Purples yer plants, and keeps yer shoes and fridge smelling like the great outdoors :Rasta:

LOL! No purpling noted on the buds themselves. The buds do look top shelf in quality though. The Ogre nugs look similar to what floroman pulled in his 8000 watt Chemdawg grow.

Harvested the rest of the Ogre last night. Was too tired to take pics and besides, my hands were quite sticky with resin. Threw some buds away that had significant PM. Truly a heartbreaking experience. More harvesting should happen tonight.

The purple leaves were pretty cool. Seeing PM on some of the buds ... definitely NOT COOL!

The other plants should not be nearly as bad as the Ogre. Other than a susceptibility to PM, it appears to have very good genetics. Nice score from a bagseed.

Sorry to hear about your PM issues, Munki, that sucks.

No LED panels in the tent at this time. They needed to be used at a trade show, so I swapped them out and put in 1200 watts of HID lighting.

Are you going into the LED business yourself mate? "Funky Munki Lighting"?

Sorry to hear about your PM issues, Munki, that sucks.

Are you going into the LED business yourself mate? "Funky Munki Lighting"?

I'm not the business, entrepreneurial type who would do that but instead prefer to advise others. Good name though!

Yesterday, flower day 74, I completed the harvest. Ogre was completely harvested a few days ago. I had kept the other plants in the dark until I had completed the Ogre harvest which was at 11 PM. So, I set the timer for the lights to run from 11 PM to 7 AM. Only 8 hours of light per day, but it would keep the plants alive until I could complete harvest on the weekend and would further signal to the plants that end days were near! Lights were off completely over Friday night so when I harvested on Saturday afternoon, they had been in an extended dark period, about 31 hours.

Smoked a sample of some of the Ogre buds harvested earlier that had been curing for a few days. The buds were well dried when jarred, so I had added a small piece of orange peel to up the moisture a tad. Very high quality buds and a nice smoke :grinjoint:. They got the highest lumens and it really shows in the final product. Can't wait to ScrOG her out!

Onward to some pics.

Here are the Satoris and Master Kush awaiting their fate.
110610-pic1.JPG

The buds ... Ogre hang from the ceiling and the other strains are in the box.
110610-pic2.JPG

110610-pic3.JPG

110610-pic4.JPG

The stumps. I'll try to get pics of the root zones later.
110610-pic5.JPG

Nice grow Munki :bravo: I hope you don't mind if I steal that drying box design... probably obvious to anyone else :light bulb:

Do flash your rootballs... and expose them on OB-1's thread, everybody else is :)

Do flash your rootballs...

OK. Got pics of the root zones. Except for the Blueberry Wowie which has always been a slow grower and drinker, all had evenly distributed, thin roots. Often, the roots would grow right through the perlite rocks. This led them to securely hold the perlite in when I removed the buckets. Also, even though these were from seed, the tap roots did not go past the depth of the original Solo cups I germinated them in. No rigid roots were noted on any plant outside the original dimensions of those little cups. Also, no real root spinning noted either. Roots would just keep branching. Finally, the root zones smelled and looked quite healthy.

So, perlite hempy buckets are a success. Watering them later in flower is a challenge and I do not recommend moving the plants in the later stages unless the branches are well secured, but otherwise they were a great way to grow Cannabis.

First up is Ogre. Many of the root zones looked similar, so I only took one pic each of the other strains. Note how well it holds its shape with only fine hair like roots.
110910-pic1.JPG

110910-pic2.JPG

Most of the perlite removed to better show overall root mass.
110910-pic3.JPG

Closeup of where the tap roots were. They tended to like to get into that soil top layer early on as I saw several grow through that region.
110910-pic4.JPG

Satori 1
110910-pic5.JPG

Satori 3
110910-pic6.JPG

Master Kush (arguably had the most root mass and was the only one I could not break the top from the base of the roots. It could have survived a category 5 hurricane if growing in the right media as it was truly anchored to the ground.)
110910-pic7.JPG

Blueberry Wowie. Roots were thicker and less of them. They could be swelled as it was still somewhat wet in the bucket.
110910-pic8.JPG

Back
Top Bottom