Munki's 576 Watt LED & Hempy Style Flower Power

Man, sorry to hear about your PM Munki, best wishes for a humidity drop ;)

Me too but hey, isn't that what life's all about though? Learning how to overcome challenges such as this? I guess it is only a matter of time until one experiences major issues such as this. Went to the Indoor Gardening Expo and got samples of products to try. So far, I haven't seen anything bad since the trim and treatment with milk.

(report from yesterday) Flower day 56. Finishing up 8 weeks of flower at this point.

I pulled out most of the plants and filled the buckets with RO water by plugging the hole and pouring in 1 gallon of H2O. Let it sit for about a minute then drained them. Measured the TDS of the run off. The Blueberry Wowie came back with about 275ppm but the others were 450 - 480 ppm. The Blueberry is a slow drinker and was given nutrient fluid at a slow rate while the others drink much faster. These results show that the thirsty plants may take up fluids quickly but that does not translate to faster nutrient uptake. If anything, it reduces it by allowing the nutrient salt concentrations to rise when extracting all the water out of the buckets, possibly forming insoluble salts at the root zone.

I will be going with water only on the Blueberry Wowie and Master Kush from here on out with a harvest date predicted to be 10/29 - 10/30.

Powdery Mildew was found on Satori 1 and Blueberry Wowie. Leaves with visible PM were removed. I also trimmed underneath some of the plants removing leaves and budsites. Should have done that earlier.

Here is the tent. Note that I am running 2 x 600 watt lamps presently. One is a Sunpulse 10K and the other a standard Eiko HPS in a cool tube. The Sunpulse is in a hood but I removed the glass. Hoping to have whatever UV light that gets emitted to reach the plants. Standard glass will absorb UV.
101910-pic8.JPG

101910-pic9.JPG

Blueberry Wowie
101910-pic7.JPG

101910-pic1.JPG

101910-pic2.JPG

Satori 1
101910-pic4.JPG

101910-pic5.JPG

101910-pic6.JPG

Satori 3
101910-pic3.JPG

Ogre tops (so covered in trichs) :drool:
101910-pic10.JPG

101910-pic11.JPG

Looks like you're back on track Munki. That ogre looks tasty.

I'm interested to see how long your Satoris go after that late start.

They all look healthy.

Munki, Its ben awhile since I have stopped over here to chck out your mixed spectrum grow and it looks like youre doing shit right over here man. Got the fucking sunpulse 10K UV light in there to boost that resin production eh? I have read good things about those sunpulse bulbs and their light schedule. I think I was reading in Cultivating Cannabis in the 21st Century that there is a company that makes ballasts to run at much higher frequencies and I didnt really understand what that does, but isnt that what those sun pulse bulbs require? I think I actually just confused myself more by trying to tell you youre doing a damn good job. Keep it up munki

flo

shit forgot to mention that ogre looks like some serious personal stash shit

Flower day 62. Wow, approaching 9 complete weeks of flowering. After checking the trichs on a few samples, it appears I can harvest from all plants this week. Amber trichs showing on all plants. Most large fan leaves are now drooping and yellowing as the flowers suck out the remaining life from them. With Powdery Mildew being a visitor I cannot shake for more than a few days, an earlier harvest has its advantages.

So, any suggestions on how to not get any active PM in my cure jars? Oh, other than check all buds carefully and check the jars often for smell and hope for the best. Thanks!

Gone to water only for all plants!

102510-pic1.JPG

Satori 1
102510-pic2.JPG

Satori 3
102510-pic3.JPG

Master Kush
102510-pic4.JPG

Ogre
102510-pic5.JPG

102510-pic6.JPG

102510-pic7.JPG

102510-pic8.JPG

Looks like you're back on track Munki. That ogre looks tasty.

I'm interested to see how long your Satoris go after that late start.

They all look healthy.

plants look great munki + rep

Thanks for the comments. Getting close to the finish line though worried about Powdery Mildew ruining my crop after the harvest. Never dealt with it before.

Munki, Its ben awhile since I have stopped over here to chck out your mixed spectrum grow and it looks like youre doing shit right over here man. Got the fucking sunpulse 10K UV light in there to boost that resin production eh? I have read good things about those sunpulse bulbs and their light schedule. I think I was reading in Cultivating Cannabis in the 21st Century that there is a company that makes ballasts to run at much higher frequencies and I didnt really understand what that does, but isnt that what those sun pulse bulbs require? I think I actually just confused myself more by trying to tell you youre doing a damn good job. Keep it up munki

flo

Shit forgot to mention that ogre looks like some serious personal stash shit

Thanks. The Sunpulse is a bulb that is engineered to run in the electronic ballasts. They work in a way that makes the current alternate very fast (up to around 20,000 times a second) as opposed to the 60 times a second normal bulbs expect. That is the alternating current frequency normal household current runs at and what the normal coil ballasts pass to the bulb.

Sunpulse also has different color mixes with the idea that they would be used together. The one I have is to be used at the end of the grow. I had the Ogre plant out of the tent and could see on one of the top buds which side was near the Sunpulse bulb. Trichs were at least twice as thick in height and must have been denser as that side was whiter. The "dark" side showed some greens still.

Your stuff is lookin great Munki.

Been a long time, my brother. :ciao: Thanks for stopping by. Humidity has been a tough one to deal with (80%+ daily for the past 2 weeks). I sympathize with those that have to deal with that all the time.

Girls are all looking really good brother, I really like the way that Ogre looks, the chunky rosettes on the buds (looks easy to trim) and they just look like hard little fruits, should be some wonderful smoke. (She a relative of Chemdawg?)

Sorry to hear about the humidity brother...no advice here...I believe a sustained 80% humidity here would signal the end of days....or something like that. :Rasta:

:goodluck: on the harvest and drying...you might ask someone like Norcaliwood or another Oregon grower about drying your buds in high humidity, sure they have good advice.

:peacetwo: brother. +rep

Beautiful plants. I wasnt able to read it all as the post has become a book lol but im glad you shared this with us and i will be sure to tag along.
:yummy::yummy::thumb::yummy::yummy:

Girls are all looking really good brother, I really like the way that Ogre looks, the chunky rosettes on the buds (looks easy to trim) and they just look like hard little fruits, should be some wonderful smoke. (She a relative of Chemdawg?)

Sorry to hear about the humidity brother...no advice here...I believe a sustained 80% humidity here would signal the end of days....or something like that. :Rasta:

:goodluck: on the harvest and drying...you might ask someone like Norcaliwood or another Oregon grower about drying your buds in high humidity, sure they have good advice.

:peacetwo: brother. +rep

Not that you mention it, I would not be surprised if the Ogre's genetics were once handled by Chemdawg as the buds look a lot like my 3 x 3 ScrOG grow. Those buds were supposed to be Sour Diesel which was also done by Chemdawg.

Weather is looking somewhat better near term. That is one of the big reasons to move up the harvest date on the Sativas like the Ogre.

Beautiful plants. I wasnt able to read it all as the post has become a book lol but im glad you shared this with us and i will be sure to tag along.
:yummy::yummy::thumb::yummy::yummy:

Thanks guys. Love to hear that you are out there reading the journal. My life has gotten pretty busy and with few people posting questions or comments in the thread, I let it go somewhat. Should be a good finale however. ;)

Hey Munki! I've been following along and I got some advice from a good friend of mine on the Powdery Mildew...

Apparently, misting them a water/milk solution with 9 parts water to 1 part milk (or if you would like, you can just pH water up like I did) should make all that powdery mildew disappear. Basically, the powder that you see are the spored form the fungus. They're already in the air and all around the plants so even if it look's like it's gone when humidity decreases, they can still land on the leaves and kick the fungus right back up when humidity increases again. Powdery Mildew lives in conditions that are Acidic, Temps of 60-70 degrees, and Humidity of 50%. Change any of these conditions, and the Powdery Mildew will subside. By changing the pH on the leaves/bud by misting them, the spores cannot give rise to another fungus infection, thus you're plants will be cured.

Seeing that you're basically at the end of budding and you will be drying soon, I'd give them a pretty good misting, bud's and all. Just to be safe. Just make sure to get the surfaces wet. When you dry out the plants after harvest, they shouldn't get mold if you have good airflow in the drying room.

If anything, you might have to dry them out for an extra day or two. Or you could just stick a fan blowing on them for the first couple hours of drying. The raised pH mist you give them should keep the pH high enough on the leaves (even after it dry's) to keep the powdery mildew at bay.

Here's a good page on the milk method:

Got Powdery Mildew? Get Milk! – The Frugal Life

Let me know what you think! Just trying to help :)

Hey Munki! I've been following along and I got some advice from a good friend of mine on the Powdery Mildew...

Apparently, misting them a water/milk solution with 9 parts water to 1 part milk (or if you would like, you can just pH water up like I did) should make all that powdery mildew disappear. Basically, the powder that you see are the spored form the fungus. They're already in the air and all around the plants so even if it look's like it's gone when humidity decreases, they can still land on the leaves and kick the fungus right back up when humidity increases again. Powdery Mildew lives in conditions that are Acidic, Temps of 60-70 degrees, and Humidity of 50%. Change any of these conditions, and the Powdery Mildew will subside. By changing the pH on the leaves/bud by misting them, the spores cannot give rise to another fungus infection, thus you're plants will be cured.

Seeing that you're basically at the end of budding and you will be drying soon, I'd give them a pretty good misting, bud's and all. Just to be safe. Just make sure to get the surfaces wet. When you dry out the plants after harvest, they shouldn't get mold if you have good airflow in the drying room.

If anything, you might have to dry them out for an extra day or two. Or you could just stick a fan blowing on them for the first couple hours of drying. The raised pH mist you give them should keep the pH high enough on the leaves (even after it dry's) to keep the powdery mildew at bay.

Here's a good page on the milk method:

Got Powdery Mildew? Get Milk!

Let me know what you think! Just trying to help :)

Thanks kylester816 for the reply. I used skim milk in a 1:9 ratio with water when I first started treating the PM. It works pretty well though does not get rid of it completely. No one is totally sure why the milk works but the elevated pH is one good reason but the other seems to be that milk does a plant's body good as well. Seems to help a plant's overall health and assist it in resisting the invading mildew.

But you are right that the only real way to get rid of it is to not have an environment that can support the mildew. I am at the mercy of the climate. Normally, this is not an issue but we had several days of rain and high humidity. Finally, our area is going to have a few days of warm temperatures and low humidity (20 - 30 %). That should help a lot. Just want to harvest the crop now before the troublesome PM returns too strongly. I can see it on some of the sugar leaves of the Ogre again.

EDIT: yeah, that was one of the articles I read when deciding on the milk treatment.

There you go, it's clearing up here too and all the PM I had is completely gone so yours should hopefully subside soon too! Enjoy the harvest Munki! They're looking more than amazing and you deserve all the love those plants are gonna return to you :] Till next time my friend!

Right on and thanks again. Since I am now harvesting parts of the plants, I went with a final treatment with baking soda. I sprayed both Satori and Ogre very well with 3/4 tsp of NaHCO3 in a quart sprayer with a couple drops of detergent. That with the very low humidity we have right now should arrest the condition until I'm finished.

From what I can tell, PM only grows on living plant tissue so I shouldn't have to worry too much about it growing on curing buds. Am I wrong?

Right on and thanks again. Since I am now harvesting parts of the plants, I went with a final treatment with baking soda. I sprayed both Satori and Ogre very well with 3/4 tsp of NaHCO3 in a quart sprayer with a couple drops of detergent. That with the very low humidity we have right now should arrest the condition until I'm finished.

From what I can tell, PM only grows on living plant tissue so I shouldn't have to worry too much about it growing on curing buds. Am I wrong?

It will grow on freshly cut buds too.

I had PM on my MK Ultra grow. I put the buds in the oven....forget the exact temp, but I think it was 120. Put em in there for about 20 minutes.

I tossed anything that had mold touching it. In other words, if a fan leaf had a spot, I baked the bud. If a sugar leaf had a spot, I tossed it in the trash.

A good friend who is a master grower told me about the oven thing. PM is common place in outdoor grows if the rains and fog come in....and they would bake their buds to kill it.

Another thing you can do is dry them a bit more thoroughly than usual before putting them in curing jars. Once in the jar, put a piece of iceberg lettuce in the jar for a day or two to re-hydrate them, then remove the lettuce and cure as usual.

It's one of those things we just have to deal with.

Nowadays, I keep a bottle of Serenade on hand and if the RH ever goes over 70 I give 'em a spray.

It will grow on freshly cut buds too.

I had PM on my MK Ultra grow. I put the buds in the oven....forget the exact temp, but I think it was 120. Put em in there for about 20 minutes.

I tossed anything that had mold touching it. In other words, if a fan leaf had a spot, I baked the bud. If a sugar leaf had a spot, I tossed it in the trash.

A good friend who is a master grower told me about the oven thing. PM is common place in outdoor grows if the rains and fog come in....and they would bake their buds to kill it.

Another thing you can do is dry them a bit more thoroughly than usual before putting them in curing jars. Once in the jar, put a piece of iceberg lettuce in the jar for a day or two to re-hydrate them, then remove the lettuce and cure as usual.

It's one of those things we just have to deal with.

Nowadays, I keep a bottle of Serenade on hand and if the RH ever goes over 70 I give 'em a spray.

Thanks Doc. What I've harvested so far were buds from plants that were not affected by the PM. The other 3 plants are drying after being doused in a baking soda solution. That with the very low humidity (~30%) should vastly help the situation. If when I harvest the affected areas I still see PM, I'll do the oven bake thing. Sounds like doing that with out stinking up the house / neighborhood with the smell of weed would be next to impossible! ;)

Back
Top Bottom