My First Grow - is it Female or Male?

When in doubt, wait another day or two, but check every day, because pollen sacs develop very quickly. They form in bunches, like grapes, and you will see them at nearly every node on a male plant. Believe me, it will be obvious! And they won't have any hairs, just a pointed pod. ;-)

If it's a leaf bud, you'll recognize the fingers when they are very young and green. Female preflowers show hairs that are different than anything else on the plant. Also quite obvious, if you give it a day or two.

Your plant is in the Pre-flower stage which last up to 2 weeks - the first sign of bud develo-ment is around day 7 (+/-). Then start your flower count down to harvest. Patience You have a FEMALE PLANT !!!!!!!!:420:

It's a female for sure !!!!!!!!!

Based on what visual cues?

sorry guys but I'm still spectacle about this plant, someone says it looks like a branch but I've been watching my plant every day and this is the first time I've seen that round shaped growth I've been growing it for 6 weeks its been in the flowering stage for about 9 days, please help lol!!!!!

The growth in the nodes are all branches. Small branches though, that's what they look like when starting out. I would strongly suggest moving your lights closer, and possibly increasing the light you have available to the plant.

Antics is correct. What you have is vegetative growth. I am far enough along in my first grow to see all three situations listed below. Plus I have a few decades experience growing garden flowers from seed, and flowering shrubs.

Vegetative growth shows up in the nodes as buds with a couple of green "fingers" (using common terminology). The rest of the fingers will emerge as the leaf unfolds and expands from the bud. But it will always be by itself in the node, unless you did some serious cropping or applied some chemical to the foliage.

Female preflowers show a couple of very fine hairs, usually white. You may or may not be able to see the calyx at first, but it will show up soon enough. So far, I have only seen female preflowers at the growing tips of branches and shoots, and not directly nestled in a node. But then, that may be due to my particular strain.

Male preflowers don't have hairs or fingers. They show up as bunches of bare, teardrop-shaped pods, which quickly develop all over the plant, right from the nodes, attached by tiny stalks. Most likely, by then, your male will have stretched, with long spaces between nodes, and not nearly as much foliage as the females. Their leaves may have fewer fingers than the females, as well. You might also get a few new, vigorous branches with alternating growth rather than symmetrical growth at the nodes, depending on strain. This is how my male Indicas have been presenting themselves during this grow.

If all you're seeing during 12/12 is vegetative growth you may have a light leak somewhere or the humidity and temp are too high. Other than environmental factors, the plant just might not be ready to show sex yet, and needs more leaves to feed its flowers. Different strains have different flowering times and requirements, and may take longer than you expect. Just be patient and check every day after your lights switch on.

addendum: Just saw a pic under the topic Unknown Bud where the female hairs were colored, not white, and the new calyxes nestled right down in the nodes. So the common feature across strains, I'm guessing, is the fine hairs. I won't be experimenting with various strains, as I'm going to clone from here on out, due to space limitations. So my experience will be limited to the Purple OG x Mazar. It's amazing, however, the amount of genetic variation I got out of the first crop from purchased seed!

Just try-ing to help -just let it grow and you will find out for sure. When you have a few grows behind your belt, then it will be easy foer you to determine the sex. -just trying to help. just goggle how to determine of a marijuana plant is male or female or hoe to sex marijuana plants. There you will find your answer. Happy cultivation. That's why many folks purchase "female" seeds so they don't waste time on growing male plants -Peace !

Just try-ing to help -just let it grow and you will find out for sure. When you have a few grows behind your belt, then it will be easy foer you to determine the sex. -just trying to help. just goggle how to determine of a marijuana plant is male or female or hoe to sex marijuana plants. There you will find your answer. Happy cultivation. That's why many folks purchase "female" seeds so they don't waste time on growing male plants -Peace !!!!!!! ------------ is another guide

There's no need to google it, or link to outside disallowed websites to find the answer. The information is all here:

How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

To be more specific, sexing information can be found here:
What are preflowers?
And here:
After 10 Days Flowering what Does a Male Look Like?
And of course here:
What does an emerging Female preflower look like?
And again:
How do I determine a female sex plant from a male?
And this is also pertinent to the topic at hand:
What is an Hermaphrodite?

This is helpful to know, while on the topic of sexing:
Should I Force Flower My Plants To Determine Sex, Then Revert To Veg

Help is always great, but in order to avoid confusing the poster asking the question, and any guests who may find this post through an online search engine, have something to back it up. Whether you're on your first grow, have a few grows under your belt, or have grown for decades, anyone can properly, and accurately sex a plant when they know what to look for.

Other than visible preflowers, there is no other way that I know of to accurately sex a plant.

Is mine female as well??? I can't tell

20150523_144318-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom