My First Grow - White Widow & Unknown From South Florida

Re: My First Grow - White Widow and Unknown From South Florida

Thanks James I will keep an eye on her, that is one of the WW's. I'll try to get some better pics, but only have a 14 mpixle digital camera. Have been adding a magnifying glass in front of some pics so I can get closer. If my tripod co-operates tonight I'll get closer.

:cheer: Will be renaming my journal to "BPN Organics White Widow" as soon as I can figure out how (any suggestions). I received word from UPS that my order from BPN will be here on the 16th, :thanks: Corery for the quick response to my order, I need the :morenutes:very badly.

Also I have ordered a TDS meter and will start using 3 part pH test strips to verify and control my water / nutes. The test strips I ordered are suppose to be accurate to .5 so that has to be better than the pool test kit I am using. Can't wait to see how a tried and true regimen of nutes will do to my girls. I'm hoping they shape up and fill out right. I know that it's really up to me to provie for them so now at least I can provide them with something better now. Time to straighten my act up so that I can nip some bud in the near future.:peace: Out everyone.:hookah: if you gottem!!!! Send any and all advice, I can always learn.

i take it the plants are in doors, you have flushed the soil so this would of took all the nutrients out, when you flushed you should of flushed with water with a low nute mixture in it, they may take a while to dry out, why dont you mix up a batch of nutes at say half strength and just add about a cup full of water to each pot just so you are putting something back into the soil then leave it to dry, the plant has not got anything to take up since flushing the soil this can stress the plants and cause hermie so you need to be careful, but as you have flushed with plain water then id mix up some nutes at half strength and just add a small amount to each pot so the plants have at least got some nutes and micro nutes to take up, this should get your leaves looking better, but dont flood the pot, just pour say a cupfull in each one to get some nutes back in the soil, either use half strength nute or slightly over, i wouldnt go full strength in case it shocks the plant to much and gives you a problem with over nute, so go for say half to 3/4 strength nutes and add a cup ful to each pot and then over the next 24 hours you should notice the plants look a lot better, but dont get adding a load of water to the soil so just add small amount then leave it for a couple of days before adding any more

Thanks donpaul, I am kinda waitting for the BPN to arrive before giving them anything else, I may add some superTrive so they have some vitamins though. It'll also help with the stress, but don't want to add MG or anything so I can start pretty fresh with the organics from BPN. :wood: Time to roll a :joint:.

use some old cotton t-shirts and wick the water out. hold off on the superthrive 'till you can water them correctly. don't feed/water a small amount...just wait & do it right. that soil still has nutrients in it and 3 days won't starve/kill 'em if you watch close enough...i like the plan of waiting for your BPN stuff, would still leach out that water though; put a fan on them.

thanks jamthe3 for correcting me, wick the water out sounds like good idea mate, my 12v computer fans tend to dry the soil out quick even when its not directly on the plants, having the fan blowing directly on the leaves to fast can cause problems but the air moving will dry it out quicker, a wick would work a lot quicker, im just trying to think of ways to stop the plant going hermie, i saw another grow not so long back and it was a scrog and he had a few plants under a big scrog and one went hermie and pollen got on all the plants as he couldnt remove it from the scrog due to it been at the back of the room and all the plants been tangled together, but one went hermie and he got a load of seeds,

i over watered at the start but my plants where small and my plants where stunted then i stopped watering and only watered say every 5 days and my plants loved it and really took off, also bpn works complete miracles my plants changed within 48 hours of using it, so you have made a good choice with bpn,

Thanks jam an donpaul, I needed that bit of encouragement to wait. How would I use t-shirts to wick out the remaining moisture. There is a fan blowing in the cabinet, just not directly on the plants, it bounces off the walls. Really hoping the BPN makes my plants take off, they need to get alittle larger before they bud out completely. :thanks::peacetwo::tokin:

cut in slips and gently slide down inside of bucket. use something to push it down gently & apply pressure against bucket from the inside ( l/ ) so not to mess with the roots to much. Or, gently cram them in the drain hole/holes if that makes you feel safer. Just make sure they're long enough to dangle out of the bucket a decent bit...they'll sponge the water out gradually.

you could try and get something long like a knife or a bit of plastic then push this down the side of the pot between the pot and the soil and if you do this both sides of the pot and then cut an old tshirt into long stripes then poke a strip or 2 down the pot in the bit you just loosened with a knife and push it down to the bottom, a long flat bladed screwdriver will help push the tshirt down and once its in the pot leave enough hanging out of the pot to evap the water thats sucked out the pot, dont blow the fan on the leaves it will cause problems, you want a breeze in the room and the leaves slightly moving to promote strong branches but you dont want a direct wind on the plants all the time, a rotating fan is good as long as you have enough distance between the plants and the fan so that its only a gently breeze,

jamthe3 just mentioned the holes in the bottom of the pot, well thinking just about these i wonder if their blocked, maybe the draining has caused the soil to bulk up where the holes are in the bottom of the pot, so get a screw driver and give them a poke out to make sure their not blocked just poke the screw driver in about an inch, make sure what ever you use is clean and wont cause problems,

Thanks jam, I got a cheap moister meter today, if they are showing really wet I may just give that a try. But I have 3 - 4 days left before the BPN nutes get here and I don't want to dry them out to far in advance. They seemed to still be growing fairly well last night and I used my finger in the soil for every pot and it was still moist enough to stick. Will have to look at what is going on with them tonight.:reading420magazine:

I have an old piece of dowel rod (oak) that should do very nicely for both. I don't think the drain holes are clogged, I drilled diagnally down through the side before I flushed them last week and they drained just fine then. I will run the dowel in a few of them just to make sure though. I was thinking about using that dowel to also poke a few holes a round in my soil for alittle more areation, what do you guys think?

you could damage roots doing that, their only very fine and damage to many and the plant will suffer and growth will slow, id just poke the holes and make sure their not blocked, are you sure your soil is not clumping up, do you have any of the soil left you can check with, like water some of the soil then squash it into a ball in your hand and then open it and see if it falls apart or stays stuck together

could give it a try then mate, just dont poke loads of holes and risk root damage, could say poke 4 a sort of north south east west type so you had 4 holes all opposite each other just dont do the whole close to the stem, plus the roots would be a lot deeper down than 2 knuckles id say depending on pot side your looking at the roots been a good few inches down the pot

Just pulled the male out, he sure did smell. :thedoubletake: The root ball was pretty large, about 2/3 the diameter of my 5 gal bucket and shoots going deeper than 5 inches, but the main ball was about 2 to three inches under the surface. Can anything be done with the leaves from him? I thought about just letting them dry and crush them up, maybe mix them with some of my shake. :smokin:I will take a pic of the root ball later and post it up. My humidy was way high tonight 78, from the rain I'm sure. The temp was down to 70 F. Turned my intake fan off and removed run off that I had still in my catch pans, hope it brings the humidity down, I don't like that. Also took moisture readings, they where all pretty wet (9 and 10 on the scale). I dry tested the pH of the soil and found that they all had levels around 5 to 6.5, but I checked it in a couple of places in each bucket and the readings where different by as much as 1.5. Should this concern me much? :;):

quite often, imo at least, ph'ings way to over emphasized...especially if growing in soil. I doubt very seriously your soil ph is 5. If you're really concerned, use distilled water... theoretically ph of 7. By the time you add in your BPNs it'll prob go down close to a perfect level for soil.

I've done two grows in soil, one in 100% perlite, one in 25% peat/ 75% perlite and germed 15 seeds 4/13...some in 100% coco, some 25% coco/75% perlite, some in 50% perlite/50% peat and some in 25% coco/25% peat/50% perlite (threw out 5 confirmed males Fiday, have 4 Beeches spreading their....pistils so far, btw) never ph'd once, use tap water after sitting in gallon milk jugs w/ tops off for a day or 2 or so. Manually calculate ppm's using info on a Va Tech website &/or calling the manufacturer of whatever I buy to get the N ppm starting point, then do the math to get P & K. Eff it up for a feeding here and there...still smoke prime time glistening sheet...& always from bagseed ta boot.

PH??? please. Thank goodness God didn't read up on how to grow or we'd all have starved to death long ago.

Cheers,
John

Back
Top Bottom