Need Help: Extracting THC Using Alcohol

This is NOT true.

Methyl alcohol CH3OH (methanol aka wood alcohol) is NOT safe for human consumption unless you are a desperate homeless alcoholic who has given up on life. As little as two tablespoons (1 fl oz / 30 mL) can result in blindness and/or death.

Ethyl alcohol C2H5OH (ethanol aka booze hooch etc) is safe for humans to consume provided that it is NON-denatured (the only kind bars and liquor stores serve, but beware buying "pure" ethanol online as some of these products are denatured and thus toxic to humans / for industrial purposes only).

Propyl alcohol C3H7OH (isopropyl aka rubbing alcohol) is NOT safe for human consumption unless you are aforementioned desperate alcoholic. While not nearly as toxic as methanol, even small amounts can cause irritation of lungs and mucous membranes, bleeding of stomach and intestines, so why risk it?

Three very different alcohols with increasing number of carbon and hydrogen atoms. Three very different effects on the body.

Strongly recommend using high purity ethanol such as 190 proof (95%) Everclear. "Regular" spirits like vodka/gin/tequila/etc are typically only 80 proof (40%) therefore almost 60% water, which will not do the trick. Everclear isn't too hard to find as even BevMo carries it.
151 rum works but not as clean as the everclear.

Sure and all that butane stuff also has those issues but is being sold everywhere it is legal; people worry about a few molecules left behind (that can't even be tasted) but are perfectly willing to use terpenes to flavor their extracts when they liquidize them to put them into vapes; they might want to view an SDS for their favorite terpene;-). By the way; are you worried about the hydocarbons that butane lighter imparts to your weed when you smoke it?

For a home extraction pentane has the advantage over butane and alcohol because of the ability to use a closed system (fumes are minimal) and it has nothing added to it. Alcohol absorbs water so chlorophyll can be an issue (n-pentane has no water absorption). Butane used for home extraction has odorants (mercaptan) to contend with, which commercial extraction doesn't have, is also avoided with pentane.
You do know ethyl rubbing alcohol is,
" In the United States, rubbing alcohol made using ethanol must conform to Formula 23-H, which specifies it consists of 100 parts by volume of ethyl alcohol, 8 parts by volume of acetone, and 1.5 parts by volume of methyl isobutyl ketone"
(pretty sure acetone and (CH₃)₂CHCH₂CCH₃. might be hydrocarbons)
Isopropanol is,
" Rubbing alcohol made using isopropanol is regulated to contains at least 355 mg of sucrose octaacetate (MSDS sheet) and 1.40 mg of denatonium benzoate per 100 ml volume. " (that sure sounds like stuff I really don't want in my vape or to be dabbing)

Everclear seems to be the only viable choice (of the alcohols availible) after one distills it further to remove the water it contains if one wants to avoid the few molecules of hydrocarbons that almost every commercially available hash oil has, wants to avoid the added crap drugstore alcohol has, wants to avoid chlorophyll and isn't planning to fill a vape (it's silly to worry about a few molecules of hydrocarbons if you use terps). I'd also go for quality over quantity; an easy quick soak over grinding it fine and soaking for a long time, likely gets one a nice amber color instead of green. Also, any moisture left in the plant will help the chlorophyll get into the alcohol even if the alcohol is truly anhydrous.

For me pentane is safer, cleaner, my butane lighter with that yellow flame imparts more hydrocarbons than pentane leaves behind and I really really hate chlorophyll.

Hey Bud,

Wasn't getting on your shit there, just stating I would not use it. I know using the method I use does not rid the oil 100% of the alcohol, but it does not leave any dangerous shit behind and using the FECO making method I use reduces the chlorophyll to a minimum. Been making my oil for years this way.

I don't buy terpenes to flavor my FECO and I press and vape with a rig the Rosin I make from the cannabis I grow.

If you are happy with what you make and it works for you, congrats!

I agree about the butane lighter, I never used one, even in the years I smoked cigs, I have always used paper matches for every thing. Ha ha, I do keep a butane lighter on the table so if someone come over they have a choice of how they want to light the joint they bring.
Now the torch I use to heat my rig is butane but your heating the banger not the Rosin.

Have a great holiday.

To be right it’s got to be frozen cold, and pulled thru a very fine filter material as fast as possible using a vacuum pump to do this. Store in freezer in amber bottles.
How do you keep the chlorophyll out when you are using darn near 25% water with 151?
Any thing over 150prof can b used as a stripper and I prefer to drink the (tincture ) after the strip! Cheers mate

Hey Bud,

Wasn't getting on your shit there, just stating I would not use it. I know using the method I use does not rid the oil 100% of the alcohol, but it does not leave any dangerous shit behind and using the FECO making method I use reduces the chlorophyll to a minimum. Been making my oil for years this way.

I don't buy terpenes to flavor my FECO and I press and vape with a rig the Rosin I make from the cannabis I grow.

If you are happy with what you make and it works for you, congrats!

I agree about the butane lighter, I never used one, even in the years I smoked cigs, I have always used paper matches for every thing. Ha ha, I do keep a butane lighter on the table so if someone come over they have a choice of how they want to light the joint they bring.
Now the torch I use to heat my rig is butane but your heating the banger not the Rosin.

Have a great holiday.
Likewise to you; if you are happy smoking what you have (if you believe your contaminants from alcohol extraction are not "dangerous shit", more power to you; the OSHA "target organs" of alcohol are the Nerves, Liver, and Heart, so what is that alcohol left behind doing by being ingested by smoking? What about the other chemicals left behind?) congratulations as well. "Minimum" chlorophyll is just too much for me.
If you are worried about what you ingest while vaping perhaps you should look into the studies about the by-products liquidizers produce when heated. Update: Toxic Vape Oil Additives Endanger Patients
Vegetable glycerin does appear to be safe.

Do it your way, I know what my Cannabis oil has done, and I know how my lungs feel from no combustion.
I am 71 years old been consuming cannabis for 55 yrs, if it kills me tomorrow I am well ahead. LOL
Peace Brother.

Bust product down evenly and add to glass jar. Fill jar with either alcohol(99iso) or good quality butane(zippo premiim). Rapid stir or put the lid on and shake it for a minute or two. Avoid making the water turn green with iso, that is the chlorophyll coming out and you dont want it. Let the shake settle and slowly pour off into another jar with a coffee filter. Pour off what you can without getting too much product in the filter, and then add a little more solvent to the first jar, shake for 3 seconds, and filter it too.

Natural evaporation is best for beginners. However, you can convert some constituents by quickly heating the soup, making a stronger overall product.

If heating to evaporate or potentiate:

Alcohol stinks but isn't as "explosive" as the butane. The alcohol makes a woomph if you catch it on fire but it wont knock you across the room, but may get your eyebrows. It doesn't flame that far into the air in a gaseous sense if you catch it on fire, only the fumes its creating locally to the heat source, and is fairly easy to put out with a wet towel you should keep nearby.

Butane stinks less but is more explosive and requires far less temps to evaporate. More difficult to "bump" temps for potentiating purposes. Burns in the air easier.

Rule #1, dont catch it on fire. Dont cook it on a propane/gas stove. All it takes is that flame's heat to lick over the side too much and ignite the rising fumes.

Rule #2 ventilate.

Spark sources are a real danger, but I've never ignited anything that way. Your toaster on your counter isn't going to do anything unless you use it. The light if already off or on assuming its electrically sound isn't going to do anything if you dont touch it. Your fridge turning on might, but is highly unlikely. If you have that perfect ignition ratio in the air to begin with then you are going too fast or not ventilating enough(and its probably bubbling and vaporizing)

Rule #3 small batches are easier and safer and usually faster than waiting on gallons of soup.

This is just my two cents on it, I love making oil and have had many compliments(and a few people go from partying to bedtime in 10 mins).

you can soak your weed in Isopropyl alcohol for 24 hrs no worries...
but you don't want to soak your weed in Ethanol/Ethyl alcohol for any more than 20-30 seconds.

ethanol extracts everything, particular chlorophyll, which is why the alcohol goes GREEN...
it makes it taste disgusting and will give you a headache before it gets you high

if you are using ethanol, try making some crackle.
there is a recipe in this same forum...
under, 'making crackle'

cheers
Pure iso will pull out chloropyll in a short time as well. 24h in iso would be horrible. Are you thinking of butane? It doesn't pull chloro like any kind of alcohol surely will. This is why "QWISO" is a thing.

I've done this sooo many times, I buy the 99 percent rubbing alcohol at Wally. I then put a wad of DRIED leaves and trim in a blender then pour the alcohol over the trim/leaves and then blend it till it turns into a green mush. I then get a large pvc pipe with one of the ends taped up with a coffee filter then fill up the pipe and let it drain into a large Pyrex dish. I do not wait I immediately pour the mixture after it has blended. I then put that Pyrex dish somewhere safe and warm so the alcohol will evaporate. After it has evaporated I use a large cutting razor. to scrape the hash oil off the pan. I smoke this the same way I dab, I also put a small amount the size of a grain of rice on a cracker and eat it before work. Best high in the world. Eating this hash oil is awesome, it's easy to conceal no need to inhale a bunch of garbage and it's not like eating weed. It takes only ten minutes or less to kick in.
I use the same scrape method and vape it off in the oven

Likewise to you; if you are happy smoking what you have (if you believe your contaminants from alcohol extraction are not "dangerous shit", more power to you; the OSHA "target organs" of alcohol are the Nerves, Liver, and Heart, so what is that alcohol left behind doing by being ingested by smoking? What about the other chemicals left behind?) congratulations as well. "Minimum" chlorophyll is just too much for me.
If you are worried about what you ingest while vaping perhaps you should look into the studies about the by-products liquidizers produce when heated. Update: Toxic Vape Oil Additives Endanger Patients
Vegetable glycerin does appear to be safe.
The alcohol left in finished product is very minute and would certainly burn 100% if smoked. Vaped would be different as any alcohol would still be present, but still so insignificantly small I doubt its an issue. I scrape mine off a pan, and the only reason its still liquid is that I scrape it warm. I dont even think what is left could be measured, except for maybe ppm.Stepping outside and taking one breath of vehicle pollutants, or even just the air quality in the average house is more of a concern.

Rich Simpson Oil uses Naphtha and it is some nasty shit.
Use EverClear for a clean oil.
Actually I use frozen IPA, then distill the IPA off the extract, and heat the extract until it stops frothing, so no IPA left. Next time I will refreeze the extract, and cold vacuum filter off some of the heavier ends when the solidify. I usually recover 75% or more of the IPA for re-use.

Actually I use frozen IPA, then distill the IPA off the extract, and heat the extract until it stops frothing, so no IPA left. Next time I will refreeze the extract, and cold vacuum filter off some of the heavier ends when the solidify. I usually recover 75% or more of the IPA for re-use.

I was looking for a food grade IPA but found I could buy EverClear cheaper.

The alcohol left in finished product is very minute and would certainly burn 100% if smoked. Vaped would be different as any alcohol would still be present, but still so insignificantly small I doubt its an issue. I scrape mine off a pan, and the only reason its still liquid is that I scrape it warm. I dont even think what is left could be measured, except for maybe ppm.Stepping outside and taking one breath of vehicle pollutants, or even just the air quality in the average house is more of a concern.
I agree with you that any alcohol molecules left would be insignificant just as any butane (or in my case n-pentane).
Heck, the process of decarb or dewaxing (or if you go the full route of a heated magnetic stirrer to mix with) will get rid of these molecules and if you are still worried you probably are too paranoid to be smoking weed anyway.
Afterall as you point out vehicle pollutants are more of a concern. One gets more hydrocarbons absorbed by their body whenever one uses Neosporin, Vick's Rub or Vasoline just one time they would over the course of the year smoking hash oil.

I agree with you that any alcohol molecules left would be insignificant just as any butane (or in my case n-pentane).
Heck, the process of decarb or dewaxing (or if you go the full route of a heated magnetic stirrer to mix with) will get rid of these molecules and if you are still worried you probably are too paranoid to be smoking weed anyway.
Afterall as you point out vehicle pollutants are more of a concern. One gets more hydrocarbons absorbed by their body whenever one uses Neosporin, Vick's Rub or Vasoline just one time they would over the course of the year smoking hash oil.

Exactly! I actually deleted the word "paranoia" out of my post as I didn't want to seem argumentative; the way you said it made me laugh anyways.

I used to use iso specifically and have been quite buzzed off of cooking it down more than once. The first time I ever noticed is when I went to go downtown and somehow turning out of the driveway was difficult as my synapses just didnt fire in time. I almost drove straight into the ditch! Quite a different buzz than regular old ethanol, I honestly just felt slight sedation until I tried driving lmao and which, unless I cant see straight, normally wouldnt be an issue with ethanol (although drinking and driving is not high on my list of things to do). I digress.....

My point is that in no measurable medical way did it permanently effect me despite iso being toxic to pretty much your whole system. All my internals are great. Perhaps you could measure the few brain cells I killed.

And yeah, if you're worried about trace amounts of iso or other solvents, then you better not smoke anything ever(the results of normal combustion), drink anything alcoholic ever(still a poison even though its metabolized safely) or breathe, or use any personal hygiene products, or wear any coloured or man made clothing, or take any medications, the list is endless.....if its hard as a rock at room temperature it really has almost no solvents in it. If it looks and feels like a piece of black glass then I would be confident in saying that there is no solvent whatsoever left behind except maybe impurities, which imo dont stick around much during heated vaporization anyways. I hadnt even thought of the hydrocarbons in everything until you mentioned it. Its nice to find a member who gets their sciences down!

DSC01635.JPG My still to reclaim the IPA
I was looking for a food grade IPA but found I could buy EverClear cheaper.
Get IPA Pure 100. Everclear has water(chlorophyll solvent) and is more expensive. I can get IPA 100 on ebay @ $65/4 gallons. Only have about 25 grams left, so I'm about to do another batch.DSC01634.JPG

Exactly! I actually deleted the word "paranoia" out of my post as I didn't want to seem argumentative; the way you said it made me laugh anyways.

I used to use iso specifically and have been quite buzzed off of cooking it down more than once. The first time I ever noticed is when I went to go downtown and somehow turning out of the driveway was difficult as my synapses just didnt fire in time. I almost drove straight into the ditch! Quite a different buzz than regular old ethanol, I honestly just felt slight sedation until I tried driving lmao and which, unless I cant see straight, normally wouldnt be an issue with ethanol (although drinking and driving is not high on my list of things to do). I digress.....

My point is that in no measurable medical way did it permanently effect me despite iso being toxic to pretty much your whole system. All my internals are great. Perhaps you could measure the few brain cells I killed.

And yeah, if you're worried about trace amounts of iso or other solvents, then you better not smoke anything ever(the results of normal combustion), drink anything alcoholic ever(still a poison even though its metabolized safely) or breathe, or use any personal hygiene products, or wear any coloured or man made clothing, or take any medications, the list is endless.....if its hard as a rock at room temperature it really has almost no solvents in it. If it looks and feels like a piece of black glass then I would be confident in saying that there is no solvent whatsoever left behind except maybe impurities, which imo dont stick around much during heated vaporization anyways. I hadnt even thought of the hydrocarbons in everything until you mentioned it. Its nice to find a member who gets their sciences down!
We probably might not want to mention that line of Peruvian marching powder has tons of hydrocarbons left in it although I bet most worrying about a few stray hydrocarbons in a vape would not turn down that line especially if a beautiful woman was offering it.

How do you keep the chlorophyll out when you are using darn near 25% water with 151?

Rick Simpson considers even 95% grain alcohol not good enough for his purpose because of the water. It depends on what you are using it for. If you want to make the oil you should go to this site. FAQ about RSO « Phoenix Tears | Rick Simpson

If you're making a tincture you have no choice but to use some type of grain alcohol made for human consumption. I use a magic butter machine and make tincture. Some pay money for bottled chlorophyll and take it as a vitamin. I mix less than a quarter of a teaspoon in a nice tasting drink and get wasted. So I'm sure it's strong enough and I'm sure the chlorophyll isn't going to kill me.

Rick Simpson considers even 95% grain alcohol not good enough for his purpose because of the water. It depends on what you are using it for. If you want to make the oil you should go to this site. FAQ about RSO « Phoenix Tears | Rick Simpson

If you're making a tincture you have no choice but to use some type of grain alcohol made for human consumption. I use a magic butter machine and make tincture. Some pay money for bottled chlorophyll and take it as a vitamin. I mix less than a quarter of a teaspoon in a nice tasting drink and get wasted. So I'm sure it's strong enough and I'm sure the chlorophyll isn't going to kill me.
If one is orally consuming tincture then I would surmise that retaining the chlorophyll would be a good thing. In fact, given that alcohol will get you terps (unlike butane or pentane) in large quantities, if I were orally consuming, using alcohol would be my first choice. Heck, there's alot of tasty choices available . . . perhaps when I make some Apple Jack this winter . . .

Back
Top Bottom