Need some advice

meffa

I have 3 Purple Kush that are growing beautifully, but on the lower part of the plant there's die-off that's kinda gnarly, if that makes sense. The die-off doesn't easily come off like a leaf that's died, and I'm wondering if I should be cleaning all of this off with my snips? I don't think it's serving any purpose but I don't want to ruin anything at this point.

The PK's were part of my first grow this past winter/spring and they didn't make the cut. I didn't have the heart to toss them and they survived many nights of below freezing temps. These plants were so scruffy looking and to see them today is just a thing of beauty.

In the pic of the trunk you might be able to see some of the die-off I'm talking about. I've been good about sticking my snout in there and removing dead leaves, but this stuff on the bottom I'm not so sure about and appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_5457.JPG
    IMG_5457.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5481.JPG
    IMG_5481.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5482.JPG
    IMG_5482.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5483.JPG
    IMG_5483.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
Im on to you, this is just an excuse to show us what great plants you are growing. Good job. But yeah, just remove the gnarly stuff, your plants look very healthy.
Ha! For sure there's a little bit of showing off, but really this is my first outdoor grow and I only have one indoor under my best, so I don't have a whole lot of experience.

My instincts tell me to snip all of this gnarly stuff that I'm guessing is partly due to the age of the plants.

I have Purple Kush, White Widow, Alaskan Purple, Blueberry Sour, and Acapulco Gold going right now.

Do you have a yard sprinkler system? Your mulch, under the plants, could have some toxins in it, that are being splashed onto the lower extremities or into your pots. Even light rain, would also cause some splash to reach them. Put something between the pots and that mulch or move them. If, it's that and not just maturity I'd agree that you have done well and this is normal especially with shorter days. ;) showing off

Do you have a yard sprinkler system? Your mulch, under the plants, could have some toxins in it, that are being splashed onto the lower extremities or into your pots. Even light rain, would also cause some splash to reach them. Put something between the pots and that mulch or move them. If, it's that and not just maturity I'd agree that you have done well and this is normal especially with shorter days. ;) showing off
I just spent a good hour removing a ton of lower and inside growth that was dying off. It was all smaller stuff and I think it was normal die off that needed to be cleaned up not caused by toxins etc. The plants are so bushy that I think the inside area wasn't getting enough sun and drying out. I'm hoping the plants don't mind! Before and after photos.
IMG_5481.JPG
IMG_5505.JPG

Maybe your bigger concern should be that we are in September already, and your plants look very early in their flowering stage. I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the northern hemisphere, you may run out of good weather before these plants are ready for harvest.

Maybe your bigger concern should be that we are in September already, and your plants look very early in their flowering stage. I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the northern hemisphere, you may run out of good weather before these plants are ready for harvest.
My friend that's been coaching me was saying he's run out of good weather in the past and has brought them into his tent to finish up. We're both in Massachusetts. I don't have the height or square footage for these in my tent, but I may be able to clear a spot in my shed and cordon it off with a light. The wheels have been turning in my head about this, guess I should prepare sooner than later. What it really comes down to is cleaning out the shed! I do it a few times per year anyway and it's due again.

My friend that's been coaching me was saying he's run out of good weather in the past and has brought them into his tent to finish up. We're both in Massachusetts. I don't have the height or square footage for these in my tent, but I may be able to clear a spot in my shed and cordon it off with a light. The wheels have been turning in my head about this, guess I should prepare sooner than later. What it really comes down to is cleaning out the shed! I do it a few times per year anyway and it's due again.
I was talking to my friend and he said moving his plants indoors stressed them out, which isn't surprising. He's been tenting his outdoor plants with mosquito netting to help keep the overnight dew off of his plants. He has overhead trees and stuff's been dropping on his plants, so the netting helps in a couple of ways.

Has anyone here every used mosquito netting or anything else to keep the overnight moisture off of their plants?

We're both in Massachusetts.

Yikes. Think I'd have started forcing them a month ago. Hopefully, you'll experience a warm, dry Autumn instead of a cold, wet, mostly overcast one that only clears up long enough for frost to occur.

This might help you plan:

Light frosts and night don't seem to be an instant show-stopper. When the days are cold and damp/wet is more problematic. If you had less plants - and smaller ones - then you could probably walk into the nearest Big Lots and buy one of their cheap plastic greenhouse-in-a-box products pretty cheaply this time of year and stick them in that. But they're not going to all fit in a 6'x6' one, lol, and the prices get higher for the bigger ones (if I remember correctly, there are three sizes). You're growing in containers that are sitting on the ground, so it'd probably help to find a way to keep the wind from blowing on the root zone area. And to keep any rain off the plant if you know it's not going to have a chance to dry the next day. Mold/rot sucks.

Do you know when the average first hard freeze is there?

Yikes. Think I'd have started forcing them a month ago. Hopefully, you'll experience a warm, dry Autumn instead of a cold, wet, mostly overcast one that only clears up long enough for frost to occur.

This might help you plan:

Light frosts and night don't seem to be an instant show-stopper. When the days are cold and damp/wet is more problematic. If you had less plants - and smaller ones - then you could probably walk into the nearest Big Lots and buy one of their cheap plastic greenhouse-in-a-box products pretty cheaply this time of year and stick them in that. But they're not going to all fit in a 6'x6' one, lol, and the prices get higher for the bigger ones (if I remember correctly, there are three sizes). You're growing in containers that are sitting on the ground, so it'd probably help to find a way to keep the wind from blowing on the root zone area. And to keep any rain off the plant if you know it's not going to have a chance to dry the next day. Mold/rot sucks.

Do you know when the average first hard freeze is there?
I really don't know frost dates but just found this. I have a small 4x6 greenhouse but the PK's wouldn't fit through the door! I have a full sized greenhouse on its way, I just don't know if I'll be able to clear the site and assemble it in time. Fortunately life is getting in the way and I'm not complaining. I'm happy to have my job and a healthy family.

A little showing off here with the greenhouse I have coming.
eos_1.jpg

Each winter, on average, your risk of frost is from October 8 through May 4.
Almost certainly, however, you will receive frost from October 22 through April 22.

You are almost guaranteed that you will not get frost from May 17 through September 24.

I'm not saying it works everytime every place but I've heard..you could use clean burlap sacks or cattle feed bags (the woven nylon type) and cover the plant, I kinda like the mosquito netting idea but its porous right so the cold will still get thru, does it stop the moisture? Make no mistake the burlap will soak moisture up and become heavy enough to snap your girls down. Man I dig that greenhouse!

I'm not saying it works everytime every place but I've heard..you could use clean burlap sacks or cattle feed bags (the woven nylon type) and cover the plant, I kinda like the mosquito netting idea but its porous right so the cold will still get thru, does it stop the moisture? Make no mistake the burlap will soak moisture up and become heavy enough to snap your girls down. Man I dig that greenhouse!
I've had a couple of pretty cold nights where it got down to about 40F, but it's not really the cold it's the overnight dew and I think the mosquito netting is helping. These ladies survived below freezing temps when they were young, though the forecast isn't calling to anything that low as far out as it goes.

I was searching on the topic of using netting to help with dew and a lot of star gazers that sit out all night looking at the stars use the netting to help keep themselves and the lenses on their telescopes dry.

I cleared the area, dug holes for footings and started assembling the base the greenhouse base. I'm hoping to pour concrete this week and assemble everything right away.

Back
Top Bottom