New grower unsure of what is wrong with my plants

Couldn’t find any bugs tonight when I got home. Checked each plant pretty thoroughly. Was kinda afraid to move the plants too much but it doesn’t look like I hurt them. Here’s a better picture of the spots on the one plant
The plants look basically healthy and the pots they are in look to be large enough for the size of the plants. I would not worry about hurting them by moving the pot around so you can look at what might, or might not, be a problem.

As long as you don't drop the pot or pull the plant out you are OK. I have some plants just sitting there vegetating under their lights and I picked up and moved several of them this morning so I could look them over and so I could get to the plants behind them. All will survive.

Who knows, maybe moving them promotes some new hair roots. Plants move around a lot in high winds and I figure that breaks some of the hair roots. Any healthy plant will grow new hair roots by the end of the day. The plant recovers and becomes stronger for the next wind storm which will move it more than we do with our fans and ventilation systems.

Here’s a few pics of my plants since the weekend. One has nearly fallen over (‍♂️) and the one with the spots still has the spots but it and the third plant are growing and but the third is growing beautifully.
1. Mendo breath pics 1-2
2. God’s gift (my personal fave) pics 3-4
3. Van Gogh pics 5-6

Attachments

• BE5CEC2A-97D7-4A7F-97FC-50407807D930.jpeg
    BE5CEC2A-97D7-4A7F-97FC-50407807D930.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 53
  • CA3DDA47-0586-48D8-920F-324614859546.jpeg
    CA3DDA47-0586-48D8-920F-324614859546.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 50
  • C00D52C1-8A84-4877-B47C-D94F1884F966.jpeg
    C00D52C1-8A84-4877-B47C-D94F1884F966.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 006078C9-AF6C-443A-A373-1301F5E9725A.jpeg
    006078C9-AF6C-443A-A373-1301F5E9725A.jpeg
    634.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 592635B0-08A2-4C33-A1C9-402896D4D9ED.jpeg
    592635B0-08A2-4C33-A1C9-402896D4D9ED.jpeg
    770.4 KB · Views: 45
You should put another inch of soil in the pot to support the one that's falling over-it's odd for them to do that at this age...the roots are usually established enough to support the plant by the time they're that size

Here’s another update: I topped the god’s gift and Van Gogh on Sunday and both have already shown some good new growth. However I chopped the leaves with the spots off the god’s gift and another leaf has developed these same yellowish brown spots. The 3rd plant (mendo breath) is still growing even though it’s severly lopsided so I’m just gonna let it do its thing and see what happens. I tried to get better pics of the spots on the god’s gift. Let me know if anybody has some thoughts on what this is, what’s causing it, and how to get rid of it. Or at least a point in a direction.

Attachments

• 9BD8739E-F220-45F4-8FCB-1058F36FCABF.jpeg
    9BD8739E-F220-45F4-8FCB-1058F36FCABF.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 5530456D-93C5-4839-A315-8FD5C791EC8C.jpeg
    5530456D-93C5-4839-A315-8FD5C791EC8C.jpeg
    498.2 KB · Views: 44
So I did find I had fungus gnats in the soil. I started watering and have hung yellow sticky papers and they are slowly dying off. Not sure if that’s what was causing the brownish yellow spots in the god’s gift. Another suggestion was that maybe I was deficient in nutes and tomorrow will be the first feeding since the suggestion and the gnats so hopefully one of those two is the cause.

Here’s another update: I topped the god’s gift and Van Gogh on Sunday and both have already shown some good new growth. However I chopped the leaves with the spots off the god’s gift and another leaf has developed these same yellowish brown spots. The 3rd plant (mendo breath) is still growing even though it’s severly lopsided so I’m just gonna let it do its thing and see what happens. I tried to get better pics of the spots on the god’s gift. Let me know if anybody has some thoughts on what this is, what’s causing it, and how to get rid of it. Or at least a point in a direction.

Those brown spots could be caused by too much LED light. What does your light meter say? Young plants should have less than half the light of flowering plants. Doesn't look that serious.

So I did find I had fungus gnats in the soil. I started watering and have hung yellow sticky papers and they are slowly dying off. Not sure if that’s what was causing the brownish yellow spots in the god’s gift. Another suggestion was that maybe I was deficient in nutes and tomorrow will be the first feeding since the suggestion and the gnats so hopefully one of those two is the cause.
As I was preparing for adding this plant to my growing experiences I read up on everything I could. What I read was that fungus gnats are a problem for roots and not leaves. The larvae seem to like eating the tender young hair roots which are the important ones for pulling in what the plant needs to grow.

I have had two infestations and figure both were caused by bringing in the Stevia plant from outside in late summer. Those little critters in the soil make it a lot harder to get viable growing clones from the cuttings I was taking.

The sticky trap helps catch a few, a small percentage in my thinking, of the adult gnats. The most important thing is that the trap tells you how bad the problem really is. Eventually it will tell you how successful you are with control methods. That is why many of them have the lines on them giving the user the ability to count and keep track of how many are being trapped over a given time period. Adding to much water before the soil is fully or properly dried out will just encourage them to lay more eggs. And helps the larvae survive.

@Emilya, @fanleaf, @Blew Hiller and several others have posted excellent messages on the best ways to water the plants. While they were talking about watering I found that by following those methods for just a couple of weeks it did more to eliminate the fungus gnat problem than all the diatomaceous earth or mosquito bits or chemicals I can spend money on.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Back
Top Bottom