New Grower

oldmanjj

Hello everyone!

I am a very new grower who has been lurking and learning from this awesome community as I get my feet wet on this adventure.

My State has legal cannabis for both medical and recreational. Recently, my wife and I decided to take the plunge into growing. We are currently not users but that will change once we get our first harvest ready (fingers crossed). It's been 25 years since I've had a puff, I hope I like it as much as I did then!

I will be starting a grow journal shortly and hope some of the veterans here can give me advice along the way.

Hello! Welcome to the community!

Here's a couple of tips that I think could help you starting out on this growing journey:
Do some research first. Read some articles about horticulture and get to know the basics of the show. You obviously wont be an expert after this but this growing thing is trial and error. Whenever you feel you know enough to start, muy biggest recommendation would be not to cheap out on stuff. Get some good lights, i would suggest Iluminar Lighting. Get some good strains, this depends on your taste and what you want and lets hope genetics are nice. And stay on top of the grows checking for humidity, air flow and nutrients, I would recommend coco coir+ perlite for medium. It's not easy but you have to start somewhere. Good Luck!

Welcome aboard @oldmanjj

I am a very new grower who has been lurking and learning from this awesome community as I get my feet wet on this adventure.

That's a great think to do before you start, mainly for terminology and to figure out what approach you want to start.

Have you decided what method you are interested in?

We have some very knowledgeable growers here for any type of grow you decide.

I do DWC mainly right now, but I have done dirt also.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

:welcome: to the forum @oldmanjj :passitleft:

Hello everyone!

My State has legal cannabis for both medical and recreational. Recently, my wife and I decided to take the plunge into growing. We are currently not users but that will change once we get our first harvest ready (fingers crossed). It's been 25 years since I've had a puff, I hope I like it as much as I did then!

I will be starting a grow journal shortly and hope some of the veterans here can give me advice along the way.
I got the itch to grow in 2007, didn't know sites like this one existed :lot-o-toke: ...but I jumped right in with both left feet :rofl: and started in Miracle Grow and used CFLs :thedoubletake::thedoubletake: learned I had a green thumb and moved up from there, to tents and better lighting.......I say start as cheap and simple as possible till you get the hang of it, then move up to better equipment...it sucks to get a bunch of good equipment, supplies and beans, only to have things go wrong and get discouraged..."K.I.S.S." ...Keep It Simple Stupid... :goodluck:

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have already gathered most of my equipment.

Small tent 2x4x7'11
ROI E200 Led light from Growers choice
6" clip fan
Small space heater (it's cold in my basement)
PH Pen
Running an average of 76 F with 51% RH (I will try to get the RH closer to 60% using an air stone and bubbler for a fish tank)
18/6 light schedule
Currently starting 7 plants (1 from a previous attempt at germination that was pretty much a disaster)
1x Power Plant
1x Chem Dog
1x White Cookies
1x Chocolope
1x Purple Kush
1x Blueberry
1x Skunk Hero (the only one to survive my first attempt at germination, looks sad but is showing signs of new growth, she want's to live!)

Seedlings are 8 days old as of today. I started them under small led clone lights then moved them to the small tent and dialed the led to 25% of it's total output.

All plants are going to be grown in soil - Michigan Mediums Start Mix (Current) Veg Mix and Bloom Mix
According to the information, it's living soil - water only no nutes.

Large Tent 5x9x7'11
4" Exhaust with charcoal filter
2x ROI E680 Led light from growers choice
Tower fan
AC/Dehumidifier combo (may not have needed this but we will see) Initial test runs of the main tent the temp runs about 77.6 F 50% RH with all fans and lights on.

:welcome: to the forum @oldmanjj :passitleft:

I got the itch to grow in 2007, didn't know sites like this one existed :lot-o-toke: ...but I jumped right in with both left feet :rofl: and started in Miracle Grow and used CFLs :thedoubletake::thedoubletake: learned I had a green thumb and moved up from there, to tents and better lighting.......I say start as cheap and simple as possible till you get the hang of it, then move up to better equipment...it sucks to get a bunch of good equipment, supplies and beans, only to have things go wrong and get discouraged..."K.I.S.S." ...Keep It Simple Stupid... :goodluck:
See above, it's a little too late for K.I.S.S. LOL

Wow just read the grow light spec nice but i would hold fire on the 6 inch's away from your canopy.Shocked they adviced that tbh. the smaller of my lights is 300 watt and i would not dream of putting it so close, i would have bleached white buds foxtailing all over.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have already gathered most of my equipment.

Small tent 2x4x7'11
ROI E200 Led light from Growers choice
6" clip fan
Small space heater (it's cold in my basement)
PH Pen
Running an average of 76 F with 51% RH (I will try to get the RH closer to 60% using an air stone and bubbler for a fish tank)
18/6 light schedule
Currently starting 7 plants (1 from a previous attempt at germination that was pretty much a disaster)
1x Power Plant
1x Chem Dog
1x White Cookies
1x Chocolope
1x Purple Kush
1x Blueberry
1x Skunk Hero (the only one to survive my first attempt at germination, looks sad but is showing signs of new growth, she want's to live!)

Seedlings are 8 days old as of today. I started them under small led clone lights then moved them to the small tent and dialed the led to 25% of it's total output.

All plants are going to be grown in soil - Michigan Mediums Start Mix (Current) Veg Mix and Bloom Mix
According to the information, it's living soil - water only no nutes.

Large Tent 5x9x7'11
4" Exhaust with charcoal filter
2x ROI E680 Led light from growers choice
Tower fan
AC/Dehumidifier combo (may not have needed this but we will see) Initial test runs of the main tent the temp runs about 77.6 F 50% RH with all fans and lights on.
Hi! Good choices you have made here... but there is a detail I would like to suggest. The living soil will serve you well as long as you also work to keep it alive. That means no tap water. RO water only and your microbes in that soil will remain strong. Also, with the combination of the RO water and the LED lights, you will most likely need to supplement with calmag... get the organic kind. There will be no need to worry about or check pH in this grow. Organics is cool that way.
Welcome to the hobby! I wish I could be a fly on the wall when you both get the first hit of your own homegrown pot! It is going to be an event!
:welcome: :circle-of-love:

Hello everyone!

Hello @oldmanjj hope your having a great day.
Sorry I'm late, Welcome to 420magazine my friend.
Wish I could go back 40 years to my first smoke Mexican red hair is all we called it. Stuff is much better now.
Happy growing to both of you.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom