New Member Start Links

Hi, I'm new here, as well as a newbie to growing any Cannabis, and want to grow high CBD:low THC medical strains. I live in MA, and applied for my state medical card last week. Looking thru your site gives me confidence I can do this, but at the same time, it's very overwhelming. Learning the ins and outs of this application, where my posts will go, how to answer, starting a journal, photos... I know the experts and long time growers have been thru it all. I do see some newbies posting here, too, for the first time.

I have a string of alphabet soup acronyms for medical diagnoses. Three, almost four years ago, I suffered a double-axis concussion, which took about 5 months before I could read again. Writing took longer, driving even longer than that. My proprioception (your body senses your spatial location, i.e., standing up straight or leaning... walking down the center of your hall vs. almost rubbing your shoulder on the wall) still isn't what it was before the concussion. My short term memory is nearly gone. (I call myself Dory, it fits me perfectly :blushsmile: ) My neurologist says by now I am as good as it gets.

From the concussion came PTSD, out of nowhere, (the trigger is gunfire, or canon fire - no more firing range practice, and no more 4th of July celebrations in Boston!). Last diagnosis is PMR, (Polymyalgia Rheumatica) a very painful auto-immune disease in the muscles of my shoulders, pectorals, neck, & arms. It also affects my ribs, hips and knees. I have a lot of stress, weakness, and occasional anxiety. It's the PMR that has brought me here...

My choices to partake MMJ has become a little limited, I think... please tell me if there are other ways.... With my asthma, I can no longer smoke. (It's been since the late '60s anyway since my last rolled smoke). Vaping is a question for me as there is still the element of smoke. My pain mgt doc rarely sees PMR, but said MMJ would work well for me. So my choices are to make smoothies, low-sugar cookies (allergic to chocolate, no brownies), and pill form. Any other suggestions are welcome!

When my card comes in from the Dept of Public Heath in Boston, I can buy thru the Lowell dispensary for a short time. Guess I am really old. Dispensaries are incredibly expensive! I remember a ¼ to ⅓ of a street baggie for $15.00 in the late 60's. Yeah, it was full of seeds and sticks, we had parties just separating the "junk" out! :partyboy:

The Lowell, MA dispensary from what I can glean is over $250 an ounce. I'm approaching retirement, eligible in Sept. (I'll be 65). My SS check isn't going to cover buying from a dispensary for very long. So I wish to grow my medicine.

I'm a biologist by education, and have four planted aquariums, one nano, and three picos. My desire is to go with hydroponic cultivation. I use co2 in the nano tank. I can just get another regulator and co2 cylinder for my grow area. I've made the LED lighting for my aquaria, so I can build whatever LED unit I need for PAR and spectrum.

Looking thru the 420 Mag. sponsor seedbanks, I believe I have found several that will meet my needs. Very low THC to high CBD. I want pain relief. I have to function during the day, drive, take care of the farm animals and indoor pets. A little high to sleep is ok. I take Prednisone for inflammation. My pain Doc said I will have to remain on it, possibly for 18 months to 2 years minimum, and supplement with MMJ. Sure is better than prescription hydrocodone. But waiting for Mother Nature to harvest means I have to order seed and plant now...

Any suggestions or comments, please feel free. I am learning as fast as my brain will let me. It's a long uphill climb!

:thanks: for taking the time to read and comment!
Dory

PS Where is there a dictionary of slang acronyms... so hard to learn what ppl are saying when they use so many TLA's (three letter acronyms). :rolleyes3

hi Dory :hug:
Welcome to the best place you could be :hug:
I see you have found the type you want to grow and Critical Cure (name of strain) could be a good one for your PTSD too.

No slang dictionary here, which ones did you see? I can help you out.

There are so many other methods of medicating and smoking isn't necessary. Does your asthma kick in if you use electrical cigarettes too? (called vaping)

I think SweetSue's oil thread would be the best place for you to read up on how to make and what to use.
She has personal experience on PTSD and medicating with cannabis, I love her dearly and she is the most helpful person on Earth.:
SweetSue's Cannabis Oil Study HallThis is a good one for pain relief
https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/best-strains-marijuana-pain-relief.288563/

Thank you so much AngryBird!
I have no idea if my asthma would kick in using vaping. I am looking at three, Firefly2, Pax3, and Davinci IQ. So far the Firefly2 has my interest because I can do sessions, and not have to use all the herb at once.

Any thoughts are appreciated!!

I did find Sweet Sue. She is INCREDIBLE. I've read, and read... and overwhelmed to say the least! But I can go back and re-read anytime! I will look for her recipe(s) on oil. (I have seen your name there too, posting once in a while!

A friend gave me a small street baggie... it looks nice, but I am clueless what it is... or how much THC is in it. I know it's high because I tried 3 puffs and I was in la-la land for a couple hours. I guess I will just give him the rest back and wait until my card comes in from MA DPH.

When I come across the acronyms, I will let you know... Dory brain! LOL!

I appreciate the warm welcome! Sorry my post was so long. I kinda got on a roll.

So much reading, so many ppl with great stories, and experiences... it's going to take a while to get comfortably caught up!

Swimmingly yours,
Dory

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just keep swimming... swimming...

Hi
I love the movie :) Watch it with the kids a lot. No worries about long post, made me get to know you better.
Positive attitude will keep you swimming, and we are here to help.
I don't like high THC since it makes me dizzy and not the feeling I want.

SweetSue has a thread about PTSD too, which is a good read as well.

Feel free to post in her threads and we will all help out.
I just noticed the pain relief thread wasn't correct.
Here you go :The Best Strains Of Marijuana For Pain Relief

Thank you once again AngryBird! I'll be following SweetSue and reading as much as I can.

I'm looking at a 4x8 Galaxy tent, and found 2 MarsHydro 600 lights. Since I plan to do Hydroponics, I'm wondering if I can DIY some of the setup, buckets, watering, heating (tent will be in the basement). I don't think summer temps down there exceed 60°F. Winter temps are about 50-55°F.

I'd like to emulate mother nature as best as I can, but I am unsure that this is the right thing to do. Maybe solid control of temps (74°F-76°F all the time) is better than a little warmer in the day, and slightly cooler at nite (thinking of 75°F daytime/70°F nite). So many variables.

My desire is to get it close to "right" first time out. Or I won't have alot of cash to buy seeds at $20 per seed! (looking at SweetSue's suggestions for medical use) Just the set up is going to cost at least $1000. Tent and lights are already $675-ish. Not much left to get fancy... for now adequate is fine. I'm using Amazon to buy some things. And Sponsors here for others.

1) What are folks using to heat their tents?
Cost effective would be nice. Our house is heated by hydrotherm (furnace heats water, radiators are in attic)... I'm trying (as is hubby) to figure out how to get another zone in the basement for heating without incurring the cost of another plumber. That's for later, for now a safe heater is my goal.

2) Any recommendations on fan/carbon filters?
I'm very into quiet electronics, no noisy fans please... I think the tent has 6" duct fan access.

3) Looking for humidifier recommendations. Not sure how much humidity I will need to put in. Using hydroponics will already have some effect on the humidity inside the tent. Do regular kids room vaporizers work in that small an area, or will I have dripping walls? Thoughts are appreciated.

4) My intention is to use co2 as well. I have co2 running in my aquaria. Another tank and regulator are not a big deal for me. Does anyone have/use the Titan controller (looking at the Saturn 5 model). if it's not a decent one, I'd appreciate suggestions.

I'm happy to go follow links... I know it takes time to answer all our newbie questions. I need to get a good log book, too...
I'm working on a name for my Grow Journal...

Thank you in advance for any answers or re-direction to sources of info...
Fin-flippin happy...
Dory

PS... AngryBird... may I request friending you?

Thank you once again AngryBird! I'll be following SweetSue and reading as much as I can.

I'm looking at a 4x8 Galaxy tent, and found 2 MarsHydro 600 lights. Since I plan to do Hydroponics, I'm wondering if I can DIY some of the setup, buckets, watering, heating (tent will be in the basement). I don't think summer temps down there exceed 60°F. Winter temps are about 50-55°F.

You can easily talk to SmokeSara, she is the @Mars Hydro representative here at the 420 Magazine. Excellent customer service. They have both lights and tents. Also I will send her your profile since you need to make 50 posts in order to be able to PM.

Hydroponic grow has a few DIY set ups here at the magazine Many in the completed journals section. Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY[/COLOR]

I'd like to emulate mother nature as best as I can, but I am unsure that this is the right thing to do. Maybe solid control of temps (74°F-76°F all the time) is better than a little warmer in the day, and slightly cooler at nite (thinking of 75°F daytime/70°F nite). So many variables.

Good idea. I am an organic indoor grower myself (not growing at the moment though) and like to grow as natural as possible.

My desire is to get it close to "right" first time out. Or I won't have alot of cash to buy seeds at $20 per seed! (looking at SweetSue's suggestions for medical use) Just the set up is going to cost at least $1000. Tent and lights are already $675-ish. Not much left to get fancy... for now adequate is fine. I'm using Amazon to buy some things. And Sponsors here for others.

There are various sites and I do know Gorilla Seeds and Crop King seeds are top in customer service.
Although, I need to give you a word of caution, if you get it ALL right in the first grow, you are either very skilled or very lucky :)

You can start with just a good light, and just a dark thick curtain over a box (you know a big mover's paper box) or just hung up from the ceiling/walls.
And next month you buy the tent, for example.

1) What are folks using to heat their tents?
Cost effective would be nice. Our house is heated by hydrotherm (furnace heats water, radiators are in attic)... I'm trying (as is hubby) to figure out how to get another zone in the basement for heating without incurring the cost of another plumber. That's for later, for now a safe heater is my goal.

2) Any recommendations on fan/carbon filters?
I'm very into quiet electronics, no noisy fans please... I think the tent has 6" duct fan access.

Tomula has a tutorial on a DIY carbon filter for about 20$ : https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/my-diy-carbon-filter-scrubber-16-a.285348/post-2995589

3) Looking for humidifier recommendations. Not sure how much humidity I will need to put in. Using hydroponics will already have some effect on the humidity inside the tent. Do regular kids room vaporizers work in that small an area, or will I have dripping walls? Thoughts are appreciated.
You need to set up and then measure, to see your needs.

4) My intention is to use co2 as well. I have co2 running in my aquaria. Another tank and regulator are not a big deal for me. Does anyone have/use the Titan controller (looking at the Saturn 5 model). if it's not a decent one, I'd appreciate suggestions.

Good idea for soil plants to be watered with the fish tank water. Maybe you should grow in coco/soil at first grow?
I'm happy to go follow links... I know it takes time to answer all our newbie questions. I need to get a good log book, too...

I'm working on a name for my Grow Journal...

Dory's first swimming lesson :)
Only kidding.

Thank you in advance for any answers or redirection to sources of info...
Fin-flippin happy...
Dory

PS... AngryBird... may I request friending you?

I already did send you one :) You will find it in your User CP tab)

Hi AngryBird! Thank you for the "Friend"!

I really appreciate your time! I know there are gazillions of newbies to attend to! I'll try to keep this short!

Getting to 50 posts, when I'm a long winded writer, is going to be interesting! LOL! I'm so much more interested in reading, truly, than writing, and there is sooooo much to read here!

I'll look for SmokeSara's contact. I really like what I read about the lights on Amazon! I see they do put out some heat, so maybe I wouldn't need much of a heater in the tent.

You're so right! Once I get stuff up and running, I'll know better what is needed. I'm sure conditions will change seasonally, too.

I do use some of my aquarium water to "feed" my orchids. I have to watch the pH as well in the aquaria, but I'm so rewarded when they bloom!

By having 4 planted aquaria, I have all the test kits for macro/micro nutrients, TDS, pH, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, CU, and a few others. Also a small RO unit for making distilled water. Our town water here isn't too bad on TDS, but pH is usually about 8.2-8.4, yuck.

Ooooh, lots of links! Going to have fun reading them this weekend!

I'll probably get one of my old lab notebooks for a log book, until I can figure out what I need to write in it... Hahahaha! Maybe later put data on an Excell sheet... Ewww.

I like "Dory's first swimming lesson" for a Journal name! Cute! I came up with a name, too, last nite...."Dory's 1st Green Grotto".... will be working on it, or may just use your idea! I really think it's great!

I hope you have a fintastic weekend!
Dory

PS You have some interesting links in your footer... gonna be reading those, too! LOL! Oh my poor BlueEyes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017-04-03_17_52_45-Dory_1x1_inch_signature.jpg

I'm hoping you guys and girls can help me with my very first grow. I'm going with a 450w led light. My grow space is 32x32x64 can upgrade if needed. I'm wondering should I go big or small I have the space and I'm working in getting more money for equipment. I want to use a dwc system in addition with the led lighting.

Hi AngryBird! Thank you for the "Friend"!

I really appreciate your time! I know there are gazillions of newbies to attend to! I'll try to keep this short!

Getting to 50 posts, when I'm a long winded writer, is going to be interesting! LOL! I'm so much more interested in reading, truly, than writing, and there is sooooo much to read here!

I'll look for SmokeSara's contact. I really like what I read about the lights on Amazon! I see they do put out some heat, so maybe I wouldn't need much of a heater in the tent.

You're so right! Once I get stuff up and running, I'll know better what is needed. I'm sure conditions will change seasonally, too.

I do use some of my aquarium water to "feed" my orchids. I have to watch the pH as well in the aquaria, but I'm so rewarded when they bloom!

By having 4 planted aquaria, I have all the test kits for macro/micro nutrients, TDS, pH, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, CU, and a few others. Also a small RO unit for making distilled water. Our town water here isn't too bad on TDS, but pH is usually about 8.2-8.4, yuck.

Ooooh, lots of links! Going to have fun reading them this weekend!

I'll probably get one of my old lab notebooks for a log book, until I can figure out what I need to write in it... Hahahaha! Maybe later put data on an Excell sheet... Ewww.

I like "Dory's first swimming lesson" for a Journal name! Cute! I came up with a name, too, last nite...."Dory's 1st Green Grotto".... will be working on it, or may just use your idea! I really think it's great!

I hope you have a fintastic weekend!
Dory

PS You have some interesting links in your footer... gonna be reading those, too! LOL! Oh my poor BlueEyes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017-04-03_17_52_45-Dory_1x1_inch_signature.jpg

here is Sara's profile @Mars Hydro

It is always good to read up, go to journals (see mine as a good example to avoid my mistakes) and read about how growers handle different problems.

You will do fine, I am sure.
No worries of keeping it short in your posts, I have no obligation, I help because I want to help out :) And also enjoy reading your posts :hug:

a new name, Dory found her way home to the green grotto :)

I'm hoping you guys and girls can help me with my very first grow. I'm going with a 450w led light. My grow space is 32x32x64 can upgrade if needed. I'm wondering should I go big or small I have the space and I'm working in getting more money for equipment. I want to use a dwc system in addition with the led lighting.

Hi and welcome to the magazine King.

You have a lot of info here: How to Grow Marijuana - Everything You Need to Know
If you want to ask grow questions, you are better of posting here :Frequently Asked Questions
With a bit more info on your experience my advice is start small and grow with your experience.

Hello, I been on here for a couple of months now and I did learn quite a bit here on 420. I'm happy, and my girls are happily and growing great cause of people here that help us first timers! Thanks Everyone....✌️

Welcome foxygreen! I'm new to this as well. I'm also planning my first grow, as the dispensary around here is way too expensive to purchase. My Doc suggested I try MMJ... so here I am, reading and soaking up as much as I can... It does get overwhelming with sooo much information, and folks are so funny, too! Glad you are here, we'll learn together. I'm going to grow by hydroponics, so I spend time there reading as much as I can. Hope you find what you need! There are great ppl here to help from all over the world. Yep, I am starting my journal soon, as well!
Dory

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keep on swimming...

2017-04-03_17_52_45-Dory_1x1_inch.jpg

New guy on the block here. Hope I'm posting on the correct thread. I've used this website many times from google to get some helpful information so I figured why not just sign up. First time grower here and I'm pretty excited to see my plants keep growing. About one month into veg and they are growing at a good rate. They are however starting to show some types of symptoms I'm not familiar with but it's looks like that's not stopping the growth. I hope to talk more with everyone soon and hope I can show off my plants to everyone. Thanks for reading and again I hope I posted in the correct thread.

Hi folks have question about leaf issues part of me thinks pest other part says stress or maybe pH issues have never tested it including one with problems I have 4 more idk strain but all seeds came from same bud (ya bad idea kicking myself now ) out of five I'm hoping that's signs r showing me female for 2 ( crossed stipule r good sign of possible female ) yes? Have 2×4 grow area running 2 100w cfls & 2 led 100w and 1 60w led to much light for that space? Been on 18/6 light Probly a combo of not right light not right nutes or not enough something cause for 2 mth veg they r small any advice would be great thanx how to upload pics

Hi everyone ! I'm new to this site and I am so happy I found ya'll !!
My name is Chrissy and I live in NH. I have many medical issues and severe PTSD and severe anxiety, topped off with chronic pain. I am 100% dependent on a pacemaker to beat my heart ALL THE TIME for me since I no longer can sustain any heartbeats at all on my own. Implanted 16 years ago and have had 5 replacements since and will have to every 4-5 years for the rest of my life.
There's a lot more but I won't bore ya'll with it lol.
I made my first edibles a few weeks ago after making canaoil the old fashioned way lol bc I didn't know any better ( brownies and lemon poppy seed bread). Actually came out good ( I think lol).
I just purchased the Magical Butter Machine and Soy Lecithin powder and Everclear 151 to make a tincture. So does anyone have a recipe for making "gummies"??

High People :) new here and have lots of question. I love vaping and im a real collector. If you have a question dont be shy.

Do you vape with a tincture?? I am looking for a recipe and ingredients for a tincture using an oz. I have Soy Lecithin and Everclear and the Magical Butter Machine and the molds for gummie bears. Also, have jolly rancher gelatin mix.
Thank you .

Back
Top Bottom