Newb, 1st grow attempt in 2x2x5.3

Is it listed as 300w or is it 300 actual watts from the wall? Some of those lights claim a wattage equivalent but their actual wattage is much lower, just a heads up.

I just googled the light and if it's the same one I was looking at, it states its suitable to flower a 1.5 x 1.5 area and is about 130w at the wall... take a look at Mars or Budget LED if you decide on returning

Is it listed as 300w or is it 300 actual watts from the wall? Some of those lights claim a wattage equivalent but their actual wattage is much lower, just a heads up.

I just googled the light and if it's the same one I was looking at, it states its suitable to flower a 1.5 x 1.5 area and is about 130w at the wall... take a look at Mars or Budget LED if you decide on returning

At the wall you're right its only about 130w. I know someone personally who flowered 1 plant with the same light in a 2x2 and didn't have any issues. Two plants is probably ambitious with just the 1 light but after veg I'll probably add a second light, maybe supplement with an HID/MH to flower. Most everything I've read recommends ViparSpectra over Mars. I haven't looked at Budget LED but will check it out.

That should be good then for 1 plant. I had some extra boards around. If I was buying, I would get one with a heat sink for a 2x2 but it is a bit more. Its actually a decent space to run 4 trained plants in 1gal pots.
20200325_110715.jpg

Good luck on your grow :popcorn:

Hi. I'm about to attempt my first grow ever and I have absolutely no experience growing cannabis. My production goals are very, very modest as I only want to grow enough for personal consumption. Here's my plan, I'm looking forward to comments/suggestions from those of you who have done this a few times:

-Space: Using a 2ftx2ftx67in. grow tent from growershouse.com. It's going in my garage.
-Light: 400w iPower HPS/MH dimmable grow light system (wing reflector).
-Ventilation: VIVOHOME 4in 188 CFM Inline Duct Fan with a 4in carbon filter, will also run a separate mini fan for air circulation
-Seeds: Probably autoflowering, but still not sure.
-Soil: Fox Farm FX14081 Happy Frog
-Vegging nutrient: FoxFarm 6-4-4 Grow Big Liquid Concentrate
-Flowering nutrient: FoxFarm Big Bloom

I've done hours of research on growing in such a small space and this is the ideal set-up for my budget and circumstance. I feel good about everything except ventilation, my budget in this category is $100-$150. The carbon filter is going to take up precious space but I was airing (see what I did there) on the side of caution from a smell-control standpoint. Will this work? Is the air intake/exhaust adequate? I would rather my garage/mudroom stink than my pants not be able to breath.

I'm thinking about raising 4 seedlings and choosing 1 of them to continue with vegging/flowering. Thoughts?
I would be worried about heat with the high pressure sodium light, I have never used one but I have used Mars hydro lights and they are legit. One 600w equivalents led from mars hydro would be perfect for 2x2 flowering. Quantum boards are the cutting edge in grow lights and there are starting to be more affordable brands available for people like us.
If possible get a quantum board white color grow light

Hi. I'm about to attempt my first grow ever and I have absolutely no experience growing cannabis. My production goals are very, very modest as I only want to grow enough for personal consumption. Here's my plan, I'm looking forward to comments/suggestions from those of you who have done this a few times:

-Space: Using a 2ftx2ftx67in. grow tent from growershouse.com. It's going in my garage.
-Light: 400w iPower HPS/MH dimmable grow light system (wing reflector).
-Ventilation: VIVOHOME 4in 188 CFM Inline Duct Fan with a 4in carbon filter, will also run a separate mini fan for air circulation
-Seeds: Probably autoflowering, but still not sure.
-Soil: Fox Farm FX14081 Happy Frog
-Vegging nutrient: FoxFarm 6-4-4 Grow Big Liquid Concentrate
-Flowering nutrient: FoxFarm Big Bloom

I've done hours of research on growing in such a small space and this is the ideal set-up for my budget and circumstance. I feel good about everything except ventilation, my budget in this category is $100-$150. The carbon filter is going to take up precious space but I was airing (see what I did there) on the side of caution from a smell-control standpoint. Will this work? Is the air intake/exhaust adequate? I would rather my garage/mudroom stink than my pants not be able to breath.

I'm thinking about raising 4 seedlings and choosing 1 of them to continue with vegging/flowering. Thoughts?
First of all, Welcome! I know all about being on a tight budget, but that won't stop you from pumping out some frosty buds. I'm looking forward to watching you work your magic, and you'll get lots of help from the pros here. Man, 420 is growing in more ways than one! ;)

I would be worried about heat with the high pressure sodium light, I have never used one but I have used Mars hydro lights and they are legit. One 600w equivalents led from mars hydro would be perfect for 2x2 flowering. Quantum boards are the cutting edge in grow lights and there are starting to be more affordable brands available for people like us.
If possible get a quantum board white color grow light

Yea I'm glad I didn't go the HPS route, it would have been a huuuge bitch trying to maintain temps and RH with that thing in a 2x2. I did end up getting a MARS TS1000 for flowering. Compared to the blurple I used for vegged, it came out of the box looking super dinky and I was wary at first but it has been a great light so far...pretty much the perfect amount of coverage to flower in a 2x2.

First of all, Welcome! I know all about being on a tight budget, but that won't stop you from pumping out some frosty buds. I'm looking forward to watching you work your magic, and you'll get lots of help from the pros here. Man, 420 is growing in more ways than one! ;)

@Grim Creeper thanks for the words my friend. I have no magic to work unfortunately, just going off a ton of research on the interwebs. Honestly the most critical aspects of my first grow came from what I gleaned in these forums and the badass advice from all these talented growers up in here like yourself. Update coming soon in the journal!

@Grim Creeper thanks for the words my friend. I have no magic to work unfortunately, just going off a ton of research on the interwebs. Honestly the most critical aspects of my first grow came from what I gleaned in these forums and the badass advice from all these talented growers up in here like yourself. Update coming soon in the journal!
[/QUOTE]
We're gonna learn together. :high-five:

I agree with Mocha on the light. Will put off too much heat for a 2' x 2' area. It will be really hard to cool unless you're growing in a basement back east in the dead of winter. Then you'd need the heat to keep it warm enough. You will easily hit 90 F with a wing reflector HPS in a 2' x 2' in normal conditions. (Been there, Done that) The only way I can see it working is if you duct your house AC to your tent. (Done that too) It works great. I cooled a 5' x 10' x 7' tent this way & it kept my temps at a perfect 77 - 79 F. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. It's probably your cheapest route to cooling your tent. (Maybe $20 in fittings) The other thing you have to think about is with hotter temps the Humidity goes down. So you really need to get temps right as it effects the RH.
GEDC4685.JPG

Bro I'm sooo glad I found this. Forgot all about it! I'm gonna give it a shot, may be just the thing for a tent upgrade in the middle of summer!

Back
Top Bottom