Newbie Grower

bchcan

420 Member
Hi. I'm at day 41 of the flowering stage of my first grow inside. The buds appear to be looking good but the leaves are turning yellow and spotted. The heat in the grow room was hotter than normal when the light is on the past 10 days at 86F but a bigger fan is now keeping it at about 81F. When lights are off, the temp is about 68.5F. The light is about 15" from the plant.

Could the yellowing leaves be from nutrients, excessive heat or maybe too close to the light. I have a 480Watt DIY light for a 17 sq.ft. room with only one plant at this time as I took one of my 4 plants from outside when it was about 30" high to see how it flowers inside vs the the rest outside in a similar size plastic greenhouse. Those 3 are over 6 feet high, no problems with leaf discolouration but have much smaller buds at this time (Sept 2).

Any help with what could be yellowing the leaves would be appreciated as this is my first crop, ever.

EDIT I just realized that this should have been put into a different thread than the introduction but I don't know how to switch it.

Attachments

• Flow d41 a.jpg
    Flow d41 a.jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Flow d41 b.jpg
    Flow d41 b.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Flow d41 c.jpg
    Flow d41 c.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Flow d41 d.jpg
    Flow d41 d.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Flow d41 e.jpg
    Flow d41 e.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 31
:welcome:

I dunno if she's overfed, or underfed.
The burned tips seem to tell me that she's overfed.

What are you feeding her? How much? How often?
What kind of medium are you in?
I don't think that she's complaining about heat.

Since you are new at this I can make the following suggestions:
* Get and learn how to use and why to use a Ph pen. Get a good one - the cheap ones are not accurate. Get a BlueLab Ph pen, spend about $100. It will last forever if you don't let it dry out.
* Get and learn to use and why to use a PPM pen. Get a cheap one and replace it every couple months. Cost about $20 or less.
* Get the room air conditioned. It will prevent a lot of problems, including powder mildew.
* Get a decent light, meant for cannabis.

You might need to spend a few $ to set up a small indoor grow - but if you don't you will be chasing problems the whole time.

The plant is Aurora Indica and apparently it does not handle high EC well. I feed it about 1.5 liters, twice a day. It got burnt tips early in the veg stage at 1.7 EC so I backed it off to 1.5EC which it appeared to like. I have been feeding with Megacrop, Cal Nitrate and Epsom salts in a 3-2-1 ratio with some Sea kelp in a 5 gallon cloth pot of coco noir. The basement area is air conditioned but the grow room is not, other than the fan blowing in the air conditioned air. I have pretty basic PPm and PH pens which I keep adjusted. The light is DIY but has 480W of Samsung F-series strips. The single plant is lonely in the bigger grow space but since this is my first grow and I have zero experience, I took this plant from the outside small greenhouse during the veg stage to start the flowering inside to see how the flowering differed inside vs the outside. The outside plants kept veging to over 6 feet in height and much less flowers at this time.

Hi. I'm at day 41 of the flowering stage of my first grow inside. The buds appear to be looking good but the leaves are turning yellow and spotted. The heat in the grow room was hotter than normal when the light is on the past 10 days at 86F but a bigger fan is now keeping it at about 81F. When lights are off, the temp is about 68.5F. The light is about 15" from the plant.

Could the yellowing leaves be from nutrients, excessive heat or maybe too close to the light. I have a 480Watt DIY light for a 17 sq.ft. room with only one plant at this time as I took one of my 4 plants from outside when it was about 30" high to see how it flowers inside vs the the rest outside in a similar size plastic greenhouse. Those 3 are over 6 feet high, no problems with leaf discolouration but have much smaller buds at this time (Sept 2).

Any help with what could be yellowing the leaves would be appreciated as this is my first crop, ever.

EDIT I just realized that this should have been put into a different thread than the introduction but I don't know how to switch it.
Up your cal mag bud

It should finish at 63 days, so 21 more days. I expect to flush with water the last 14 days so I expect to only feed with nutrients for one more week.
Coco I would only flush for 3 days personally heavy flushes

Thanks KingJoe83. I wondered about the Cal Mag. I'll give it a try. What do you mean by heavy flushes?

It should finish at 63 days, so 21 more days. I expect to flush with water the last 14 days so I expect to only feed with nutrients for one more week.

Looks like you might have a slight pH issue. Are you following your fertilizer instructions and whats the source of your water??

They are overall light colored so to me that means there's some sort of nutrient lockout but its not that bad. I'd pH test your water and instead of "flushing" just water extra to run off and leave the water in the trays. Be sure your water only tests between 6-7pH on the low side the better.

What soil are you in?? Stop using all that epsom salt and cal nitrate. Thats probably your problem. You're over doing it with Mg.

Epsom Salt = MgSO4 - the plants dont need all that magnesium. Eventually and it looks like you're there now you get Mg toxicity.

Cal Nitrate = Calcium and nitrogen. In flower plants dont need all that nitrogen. Just stop using that and the Epsom salt and use your MegaCrop. Its got everything you need. The other stuff not so much.

Flusing - what do you think its going to do? Good to do with a soil-less medium like Coco. Mega crop should be all you need follow the label.

Thanks Bobrown14.
I have found that I have to keep working the pH down below 6.50 as it creeps up. It sometimes has been above 6.50 but never above 7.00 for feeding. The source of water is city which has a 200 PPM +/-. I use Coco Coir. The plant loved all of the 3-2-1 mixture until the past few weeks but now as it is well into flowering, it makes sense that it doesn't need as much N. I didn't realize about the Mg toxicity. Using coco, it sounds like I don't have to water flush more than the last few days, rather than the 14 days I initially thought. I will keep to Megacrop the last few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom