Newbie: You're Gonna Laugh

SB4L

Well here we go. :welcome:

I'm just a country kid that has been wanting to grow for some years now bc I'm tired of paying someone else and want to share my grow with others in need. So bare with me as I'm learning on the fly.

I started on February 1st, I only have unknown Reggie seeds, which now I can see are a variety of strains. I didn't know what to expect and I wanted to be able to have enough to experiment with.

I started indoors by germinating my seedling in distilled water until growth signs appeared. I then planted them in 3 - 72 seed starter kit and placed them under 2 red heat lamps from home depot for the first two weeks. I noticed undesired stretching and majority of them died, basically from an inexperience grower.

20170206_182857.jpg

20170213_224723.jpg

20170220_135839.jpg

I did my research and found that my seedling needed to have the light spectrum in the 6000 k range. All I could find from my hardware stores was 5500 k cfl's. So took my remaining survivors and put them under 4 - 5500 k lights and germinated another 2 - 72. By the time these sprouted I had bought 8 - 6500 k lights and added them with the other 4 lights.

20170303_174914.jpg

20170301_002747.jpg

20170305_123625.jpg

Now in the March I have approximately 140 plants by the time I placed them into cups with organic soil with no additives. Note the cups are clear, which I found out is bad for my roots, but as an inexperience grower I wanted to see where and how my root growth was.

20170313_231059.jpg

I collected stream water bc I knew the ph would be better than the crap you get from the faucet. I watered when I could and tried to stay in between over and under watering and just watching the development take place. I have no real set up and using what's available without spending any serious money.

At this time I'm impatient, I would sit and stair at my plants for hours unsure what to do next and wondering what to do next. So I turned to the www and started googling everything I could think of, knowing I needed to gather as much info from different locations to determine my next move.

I looked at all the different ways to go and main lining had my interest bc it mean more hands on with the plants. More than less I wanted to do something other than waiting. Everyone has their own pro's and con's on where, when and how to cut. So I started just cutting away lol, but being generous not to kill any of them. I knew cutting them would delay their growth but I was starting early, so I knew I would be fine. I also left my smaller plants alone.

20170317_043306.jpg

20170309_074702.jpg

20170306_192829.jpg

20170309_074712.jpg

In this whole process I never turned my grow lights off, why bc I didn't have a timer and I didn't have time to do it manually. Also I tried to keep my temp in between 60-78 degrees. I only have a fan and there's no ac/heater in the building I was growing in.

So far so good, I haven't killed anymore yet since I got the correct lights and they seemed to be doing fine with the me cutting on them every two weeks. I did leave some untouched to grow naturally.

Well by the end of March I knew I had two options and now I think I made the wrong move. I either could transplant them to bigger pots or I could plant them outside (not know the light factors for my area at this time).

By March 28 all the trees where blooming so I knew the last freeze had passed. I planted them out side in 3 different locations secure locations with no human travel or residence.

20170328_165217.jpg

20170328_165240.jpg

20170328_165424.jpg

20170411_154726.jpg

20170411_154809.jpg

20170415_165244.jpg

This is the first time I put any nutts other than a few small application of a root booster. Your gonna laugh I used miracle grow, haha I know, but they seem to thrive from it. I've been watering every 3 days unless it rained and add-in nutts in water, every 6-7 days as instructions say. But always being conservative to how much I gave, not to burn my plants.

20170417_140335.jpg

20170417_140421.jpg

20170417_141950.jpg

So back to planting in march, my plants pre-flower which was nice to be able to remove all my males and hermies. Which out of @ 140 plants I have 82 that are pure females. Still I have an issue I want pounder plants but I have flowering starting.

20170418_132122.jpg

The days here are getting longer now and majority of my plants reveggied with no problem. Some signs of leaves spinning but you have to look close. The others seem to be stuck completely, for the past month, when I really notice flower I've been trying to introduced some light at night to encourage reveggie.

20170422_231055.jpg

20170422_231047.jpg

20170424_123317.jpg

20170429_151021.jpg

20170429_151021.jpg

20170429_151113.jpg

20170429_151200.jpg

20170429_155911.jpg

20170429_222938.jpg

20170429_223048.jpg

20170429_223102.jpg

20170429_223127.jpg

20170429_223146.jpg

20170429_223206.jpg

20170501_030447.jpg

20170501_030521.jpg

I could use some advise now and I know pictures will help but I have to get May's pictures. Personally as a newbie I feel wonderful to have this much production in 3 months even with my set backs. But the more knowledge I can gain will be a benefit for the years to come.

I didn't think I would be posting this online, so there are pics that I didn't get and things I might of left out. Just bare with me and I'll try to post everything I used or answer your questions to help fill any gaps that I missed. Not to mention I did have a baby boy in early march, so I'm doing the best I can with the time I have. So don't judge me by my methods, just advise me on how to do it the proper way. Thanx for your time to read my post, hope your having as much fun as I am.
:thanks:
:420:

I was waiting for someone to start asking questions lol...

No, I didn't. I just dug enough to plant. I made my decision fast and acted on that note. During the process I knew I was doing wrong. But I went back to my original plan and did it as cheap as I can. I should have done much more even in labor wise as well but time is a factor with a new baby, business and life. Not to mention I had 140 plants. My thinking is I don't really need that much and what the God Lord bless me with, the better off I am from something basically free. This is more of a learning year and will produce some money out of it, even if I have to let it go as swag, which I hope I don't have that problem lol and ill spend more money on it next year. But some of the land that my plants are on is man made levies (not compacted) to see the water disruption if it floods.

We need some rain here period but the last storms missed us really, but flooded Louisiana. I've been caring 5 gallon buckets of water from the creek and if I'm using nutts, I port them into a 50 gallon container then transferring it to gallon jugs to keep my portions even. I'll post pics of my of my North patch on the levie, I haven't pasted any of them. I also need to cut some tree branches down to allow more direct sun, but majority receive more than 4-5 hrs a day. But I live in a moderate air traffic area as well. So pro's and con's to everything.

But I would say next year i will drill a 3'x3' hole and determining on the soil, add in what's needed. I would say 30% clay, 30% sand, 40% soil. But that can always change in a year. The more opinions I hear will shape my opinion on what to do. I'm interested to know what your opinion on your hole and soul mixture, thanx for your time.

I've used a post hole digger in the past. I usually filled this with a potting soil/ perlite mix. It was more important for me to go down than wide. I wanted to ensure the taproot had plenty of area to grow stronger while searching for water.

Boy does this grow bring back memories! I did it back in the mid 70's to early 80's much like this but only 20-25 sites, you have your work cut out for you with 80+ sites!

I would invest in a gas powered trash pump asap, in the hot Texas sun, they are going to need a lot of water, dipping a 5 gal bucket 80 times in the creek don't sound like fun every couple days when the really start drinking!

The site I had was a old homestead from the late 1800's, close to the 49th parallel, (Canada) it was about 100 feet from a slough and the homesteader was smart enough to plant a lot of trees in a semi-circle that made a nice mature sheltered clearing. I worked up the soil with a rototiller in strips approx. 5ft wide x 50' long and spaced the plants about 4' center to center, after planting the seedlings, I covered the dirt around them with lawn clippings, leaves, straw, hay, or whatever dead matter I could find...it not only kept the weeds from growing, it helped the soil from drying out so fast in the sun.

I would start the pump and water the plants good every 2-5 days depending on temps and how much water they needed, after a couple years of this, I got a hold of some 55 gal plastic barrels which I drilled a series of very small holes near the middle and bottom in a 90 degree pattern and buried them in the ground between 4 sites with the holes in the direction of each plant, all I had to do was fill the barrels once a week...steady moisture to the plants.

Back then, my fertilizer was the water from the slough which had all kinds of goodies in it, home-brewed fish emulsion to top feed, and chicken shit that I tilled in to the soil + the ground cover I used the year before. I did use liquid anhydrous ammonia with a special probe I made to inject it with a 5 gal propane tank to make it portable, but unless you are trained in the proper use and application of this fertilizer I would not recommend it...you can be very dead or very badly injured if you don't know how to properly handle it!!!

I am not sure how the bug or rodent situation is in Texas, that is another control you may need to watch for, they can cause a lot of damage in a short period of time so keep a eye out for that.

I am subbed in for this one, your plants are much larger at this time of the year than mine were, my start time was mid March indoors, and in the ground the 1st of May with waterwalls, flower started mid July and harvest was late October...I had 6-8 foot trees that produced 2-3 lbs of good stuff, if some of yours keep off flower for 1-1 1/2 months, you will have 10-12' trees!!!

Wishing you a great grow!!!
OTM

I have my skid steer with agure so it's an easy poke and mix. I can go deeper 4' but if the plants are striving now with untreated ground, wonder what a little more work time would get me. Next year will be planned out better, with this years experience and test to guide me to a successful grower later down the road. Thanx sage again for your time and advise.

Hello Old timing man.

Anhydrous ammonia with take your breath away and suficat you faster than you can run. My dad's a x-farmer and I customer harvest for family friends for a year, I understand that aspect. Farming suxs just sitting in a tractor for 14-16 hrs a day, but I love helping my dad in his vegetable graden when I can to pick his brain.

My plants are between 2-5 ft tall right now and some half are in veggie and growing nicely but the others look confused. They just sitting there lol, maybe it's seeing them everyday you don't seem to notice the changes right away.

My biggest problem with the bugs are leaf hoppers or whatever you want to call them. They leave little white specs on your leaf, they are basically sucking the sugars stored in the leafs. But my number one remidi is soapy water, my 3-in-1 spray solution. Which I think it is; co2, bug repelint and help with some diseases. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. It helps but they still come back, what a good solution for them? Anyone.

I got barrels, generators, pumps and some more goodies but I don't have time to get them ready. I want to run drip lines, they're easy hidden and easily regulated with tips determine the structure of pipeline.

I've been planning this for years now, studying taking notes bc I know this is one of my callings. The plan is to get a op underground as soon as I can, to reduce the risk of getting caught with clones or mother plants. I got 29 clones from the first big cutting I did, so I actually have 111 plants but I want to mother them for next year since I already know their females. I'm trying to plan ahead, but I'll take the ups with the downs. It be nice to also have seeds that I knew what they are as well.

If I get 2-3 lbs per plant I'm inviting everyone over to harvest bc that will take me forever by myself. Maybe I should of never introduced the light and let them flower now to spread out the work I got myself in. Bc I'm not going to waste anything, I have a friend that's has seizures and he's starting to juice from my cutting. I want to bubble hash or dry ice the leaves once harvested and he can juice from the rest of leftover.

I also want to learn how to make hemp rope and whatever else I can but time will tell.

Lol I need me someone honest and real from Texas to help me and not get greedy. But that's few far inbetween now days. That's why I work with 5 gallon buckets bc if I want it bad enough I'll worker harder the first year to prove to myself all I need is will power and I'll be able to do anything I set my mind to.

Thanx for your time to share your story and advise with me on my journey to the buds.

These are clones that I didn't have time to mess with but I got them trimmed and potted. I'm surprised they survived as long as they did with little to no care. Total 38 females, ready to go back indoors.

20170415_1652571.jpg
20170508_130913.jpg

This is my North patch, 34 plants and some lst training.

20170508_131152.jpg
20170508_131233.jpg
20170508_131303.jpg
20170508_131403.jpg
20170508_131630.jpg
20170508_131757.jpg

South patch, 38 plants

20170508_132341.jpg
20170508_132408.jpg
20170508_132414.jpg
20170508_132720.jpg

Middle patch, 10 plants

20170508_132808.jpg
20170508_132829.jpg

I have my skid steer with agure so it's an easy poke and mix. I can go deeper 4' but if the plants are striving now with untreated ground, wonder what a little more work time would get me. Next year will be planned out better, with this years experience and test to guide me to a successful grower later down the road. Thanx sage again for your time and advise.
Definitely the more you put in the more you will get out of it, but like you said this is a learning experience for you. You will learn alot this year, and be able to apply it for next year. Good luck on everything im subbed.✌

Hello Old timing man.

Anhydrous ammonia with take your breath away and suficat you faster than you can run. My dad's a x-farmer and I customer harvest for family friends for a year, I understand that aspect. Farming suxs just sitting in a tractor for 14-16 hrs a day, but I love helping my dad in his vegetable graden when I can to pick his brain.

My plants are between 2-5 ft tall right now and some half are in veggie and growing nicely but the others look confused. They just sitting there lol, maybe it's seeing them everyday you don't seem to notice the changes right away.

My biggest problem with the bugs are leaf hoppers or whatever you want to call them. They leave little white specs on your leaf, they are basically sucking the sugars stored in the leafs. But my number one remidi is soapy water, my 3-in-1 spray solution. Which I think it is; co2, bug repelint and help with some diseases. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. It helps but they still come back, what a good solution for them? Anyone.

I got barrels, generators, pumps and some more goodies but I don't have time to get them ready. I want to run drip lines, they're easy hidden and easily regulated with tips determine the structure of pipeline.

I've been planning this for years now, studying taking notes bc I know this is one of my callings. The plan is to get a op underground as soon as I can, to reduce the risk of getting caught with clones or mother plants. I got 29 clones from the first big cutting I did, so I actually have 111 plants but I want to mother them for next year since I already know their females. I'm trying to plan ahead, but I'll take the ups with the downs. It be nice to also have seeds that I knew what they are as well.

If I get 2-3 lbs per plant I'm inviting everyone over to harvest bc that will take me forever by myself. Maybe I should of never introduced the light and let them flower now to spread out the work I got myself in. Bc I'm not going to waste anything, I have a friend that's has seizures and he's starting to juice from my cutting. I want to bubble hash or dry ice the leaves once harvested and he can juice from the rest of leftover.

I also want to learn how to make hemp rope and whatever else I can but time will tell.

Lol I need me someone honest and real from Texas to help me and not get greedy. But that's few far inbetween now days. That's why I work with 5 gallon buckets bc if I want it bad enough I'll worker harder the first year to prove to myself all I need is will power and I'll be able to do anything I set my mind to.

Thanx for your time to share your story and advise with me on my journey to the buds.

I used a organic soap called Basic H sold by Shacklee, added some lemon oil and mixed it all up in a 5 gal hand sprayer...16oz of the soap, 4 oz of the lemon oil, and the rest water. It kept the bugs away and didn't affect the smoke. You have to make sure to spray the undersides of the leaves too and reapply after a rain.

You have plenty of plants to try different training methods, I was aggressive with topping and defoil to get as many bud sites as I could, outdoors you don't have any limits other than keeping it hidden and a secret. Kind of like a outdoor laboratory! experiment away!:thumb:

Thanx OTM

I will try this mixture and I do try to spray every square inch of each plant.

I try to limit my actions on each plant, I don't want to cause anything the plant can recover fast from. Later on I will show pics of my super croping and other method I've been using.

But I wish I could eventually be invited to a few other gardens and see their systems and methods. There are so many tricks to the trade and I'm ready to absorb as much as I can. Flying along isnt always fun but you have to start somewhere.

Thanx for the advise

Thanx OTM

I will try this mixture and I do try to spray every square inch of each plant.

I try to limit my actions on each plant, I don't want to cause anything the plant can recover fast from. Later on I will show pics of my super croping and other method I've been using.

But I wish I could eventually be invited to a few other gardens and see their systems and methods. There are so many tricks to the trade and I'm ready to absorb as much as I can. Flying along isnt always fun but you have to start somewhere.

Thanx for the advise

What works for someone else sometimes won't work for you, this adventure will let you try a whole lot of different things and it sounds like you like to DIY anyway...you may loose a few plants along the way, I know I did my 1st and 2nd year...back then there was no world wide web, I learned from my grandpa, my mother and the many farmers I worked for when I was young...knew how I used the knowledge i picked up all hell would have broken loose!

Keep em Green:cheer:
OTM

Wow, its been a while since I posted and can say i haven't cared for my ladies as much a I would of liked, due to other life situations. Im currently around 60 strong plants ranging from 2' to 10'. My majority loss was planting outside to early and plants not regenerating, but there are pros to this process if done correctly. Trail and error is the best method to learn because not everything is revealed or experimented. I have so much to say and a little time to do it in which you call tell by my delay in posting.

So a question I would like to know is what is the best drying and curing method determining the possibility a large amount of product to be yield. I will begin the process with cutting each limb and hanging upside down from a string. Remember this is my first time and any small detail is neccassary to know to have the best possible results I can. Thanx in advance for your time.

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom