Open Pollination Project

LOL at Gjeans that's funny.
That was a big point too to water them but not too much I guess like cultivating worms vs a plant similar watering practices.
I also forgot you mentioned banana peel tea, my friend does it but uses the fresh peels cut up a little bit. I like to dry my peels and bake them a little with some spent coffee grinds and give it a little charring. Gets a bit smokey and can stain the glass on the oven if it starts to billow
Been baking with the door cracked a little to let the moisture out when I do if I do that but have a good reserve of dried to start out a worm farm with and pretty excited to get one going.
So far aspirin what I been doing most recently was getting the most generic effervescent tablet of it and most of the time dissolves completely in to the water. I use 1 round 325 per a gallon of water. Dropper in and let sit a minute. Theres also 1000mg of citric acid in there which will reduce ph but the sodium bicarbonate will help stabilize it. There's 1916 mg which is a lot but on a monthly dosage it seems to be tolerable. I seen to use them from a you tube plant tips video. I used to take the dollar store bottle tablets and use them but like the chemistry behind these and how the aspirin totally dissolves best when I used these.
So aspirin is synthetic salicylic acid which is what plants produce to ward off attacking insects. I use it on my vegetables, houseplants and the girls. It helps kill the soil insects like gnat larvae but same time doesn't have enough to kill microbes and worms or centipedes and the other good guys.
I had stopped using harsher home remedies that can kill mites to help keep the beneficial mites alive and breed.
Had a bad mite problem and thought that was bad until I experienced aphids and white flys with their larval aphids. I think the sweet potato aphids were the worst. Everytime I thought I got rid of them they were back.
Thats what you get for trying to overwinter regular pepper plants and bring in to your garden a mess of bugs.
The aspririn trick seems to work well if it's used as a preventative but can only really supress the mites and other sucking insects to an extent. Thats where having healthy soil and good bugs around comes in handy.
Mites are the worst to have mid to late flower because you would never think to use onion spray then and risk having that enter the flower and be saturated in it.
So I tried using a clean shop vac and would vac the webbing off the colas but was also spraying entirely a clean solution of 1 part h2o2 to 4 part water.
Ruined some of the terpenes made them kind of blah alright but devastating for me to have experienced.
They didn't like OG kush it was too dank for them hahaha
Now, also I have sprayed with aspirin but unless it is 100% dissolved it will clog in the sprayer eventually which is annoying.
I though I would give spraying sulfur dissolved in water on aphids on some autos I grew last yr and learned to never put sulfur on your buds they will forever taste of it even with a bud wash or water cure.
Vegging they were loving the sulfur treatments but I realized it also will get gummy if you mix it with other things. So need to use things by themselves for individual treatments for better results.
I like using peppermint castile soap (has coconut oil and my lady is allergic so I stopped using it on the plants) but started using a clear simple "organic" dish soap just at a very dilute rate but helps break surface tension of water and spreads the solution better, and isn't really all that bad to get in soil. Soap helps things flow and soap is good for plants but not in mass amounts people say to use a lot of soap in some of he home made sprays and I find less is better like a good bloom booster. Too much is gonna cause some adverse effects but just enough and desired effects are attained.
I keep the soap off if at all possible when the trichomes show but have sprayer soapy water on mites on flower before when I started growing not thinking about the dyes and fragrances being a possible health risk.
They also say to not use an antibacterial detergent because it will hurt the biology of the plant/ soil.
It sounds like you have quite the worm factory going though to have a noise when they get attention LOL theyre all say la vi! Welcome to the party!
I have a similar story going on a long new unfamiliar hike to a fishing holw and my friend ahead let the branch come back on me scratched my cornea but I caught the big one that day on a fake mouse off a lily pad. I will never forget it.. Had to stand on a downed tree and casted over the tall grass to fish off the lillies. My perseverance paid off. My eye hurt but not as bad as last years little accident LOL i hope theres a picture of that somewhere but I started wearing glasses a lot more since then and my word of the day when I jammed a stick in my eye last year was twig. Which if I read my emails and seen that would have bwen loike hmm better put my glasses on today HAHAHA Oh the irony.
Don't give up the fight!

16479908293443179400490152396413.jpg

I look back and remember I cut the aspirin that grow and wanted to prevent hermaphroditing because too much aspirin can cause plants to do that. I didn't think I would have any bug problems since they were all clear but then when they flowered hard the mites showed up and multiplied so fast. They are all around my house and this yr seen more lady bug larvae around but treated around the house with a spider dust and sprayed a few times some essential oils and soap to kill them and keep them under control. They must have been getting in through the window gaps and the ac unit blowing them in.
Getting myself some red wigglers today and setting up that worm farm soon because fish food and castings are adding up the cost over time.
I probably spent a couple hundred on castings and fish food by now in my life which isn't too bad thats why fish make good pets.
Just eliminating that cost all together as much as possible.

prevent hermaphroditing because too much aspirin can cause plants to do tha
Just a thought...If it is the aspirin, could one take a clone, give it aspirin, hermi, then the seeds should be OK because it was caused by the aspirin??? and not because it was prone to hermi??? Might be way easier that colloidal silver.

Hey Greenjeans,
When I began using aspirin years back I started with generic cheap pills had to take a mortar and pastel to it or I would use a good drinking glass and crush it with the bottom. Then, scrape it off and use the side of the glass like a rolling pin on a glass table or a countertop and use a razor or a card to collect it and just add it to the water.
Note: the finer you get it the more is can spread through your soil.
It will dissolve completely into hot water then you can dilute that into a jug or bucket or whatever you water with.
The rule of thumb is 325mg of it or 1 adult pill or an effervescent tablet will also work and is what I have been using lately for the ease of use and reliability.
I switched to the flat dissolve tabs for pain relief or fever and find the formula will totally dissolve sometimes to crystal clear.
Other times it can have a little sediment and floaties.
That is not to worry just shake or mix before each time you administer it.
I dose by top feeding if I see gnat larvae and it usually helps control them but takes a day or 2 to kick in so use as a preventative for insect attacks to the plant itself like mites or aphids or boring insects. The acid from the aspirin is strong and deterring once in the plant and converted into its own salicylic acid.
I try to give them the aspirin once a month it seems to keep the white fly aphids from doing anymore damage then they have so far.
I have been dealing with them in my veg tent and when I think theyre gone there they are again.
They are all turning brown and dying.
I'm gonna be getting some of the Beauvaria Bassiana cultured powder powder and am gonna hit everything with a spray of it thanks to the feedback and idea sparked from Stunger.
As for using it to make seeds, you made me wonder how much do I have to apply and I think if I can make a solution with it that is free of particles it can spray well and the trick is to spray everyday few times before flipping to 12 and 12 then spraying again religiously for another week or until you see the balls.
If you are like me and like taking cuts, I suppose you could spray them as you normally would if you do mist your clones. Except you would be applying aspirin everyday then they root and you bri plant keep spraying and flip into 12 and 12 keep spraying and hope for some ball skis lol I am probably gonna try it out but always forget these ideas when I can apply them.
Sorry about the length, trying to be thorough so you or anyone else who hasn't tried aspirin for the garden to see how it can be of help.
This is one of the oldest hacks for pest control. I put it into my plants more than myself matter of fact lol.
I try to bottom water much as possible but it is still good to top water at least once a month if you made a plant dependant on bottom feeding.
I have yet to see anyone who claims they have made a plant dependant on bottom feeding though I can be proven wrong by some Im sure... There is exceptions like a DWC thats all bottom feeding but is not soil or a soilless blend in a pot.
The oldest plants in the world live in pots and are worth fortunes. They don't bottom feed them if I'm not mistaken.
Okay end rant over and on to some entertainment.

I just collected my garlic cake males pollen. He smells like a show stopper for being a male.
God, does that sound weird.
But I used a decent sized mirror and leaned him over it and tapped gently to not make it fly all over the room.
I used clean long razor blades and collected let sit in front of a little indirect air with a touch of heat to dry labelled capped and had it put into a freezer.
The girl is beautiful she smells amazing the garlic is there the sherbet ice cream and cake aromas... Heavenly
My orange cake not doing remarkably well like the garlic cake but we are getting some awesome colors and just a very pleasant sweet smell very sativa.
These F1s we are pushing another 2 or 3 weeks to let the new seeds mature from pollination last time I had stopped by with my orangey males pollen.

20220323_213834.jpg

20220323_213817.jpg

20220323_213730.jpg

20220323_213724.jpg

20220323_213236.jpg

20220323_213213.jpg

Stunger my seeds didnt pull through had some mold left bags on them too long without catching it but added a product called gnatrol and its a bacillius strain and think is what made a gray fuzz grow all over the surface so I sprayed it but my dumb self forgot sprouts are the most sensitive. So we will never get to see what they will turn into I am sorry.
On the flip side check out these clones I replaced them with.
These are the purple diesel I had 3 weeks into 12 and 12 and broke her main trunk. Good thing I took some cuts my dumb self.
Self you did okay... You did okay.
Well thats only 2 of them the others aren't anything to be super proud of but they are just fine.
Got a snap of the cali bay dream I isolated with my bigger orange cake and she isn't doing so hot either cooked under the 315 cmh up high as it goes too.
She smells amazing though and Cali bay dream is catching up.
Said you wanna race?
Her sister Cali bay dream is a littler larger in size but is more a tall pine tree like plant vs bushier like her sister on the chair.
Why I dont sleep much hahahaha

20220325_040705_HDR.jpg

20220325_033900_HDR.jpg

20220325_033336_HDR.jpg

20220325_031206_HDR.jpg

20220322_135313.jpg

20220322_135301.jpg

20220322_135242.jpg

i know we have some unhealthy plants that when looking at is like hearing nails on a chalk board.
I will have some better content next time I bring in an update on them.
The real stars of this thread are as healthy as they will ever be and thats all that matters.
One Love,
CC

As for using it to make seeds, you made me wonder how much do I have to apply and I think if I can make a solution with it that is free of particles it can spray well and the trick is to spray everyday few times before flipping to 12 and 12 then spraying again religiously for another week or until you see the balls.
I try to stay away from painkillers but when I do it's usually on occasions when my back seems to lock up and get really uncomfortable I sleep badly, I prefer Disprin/Aspirin because if I take one before bed it seems have an awesomely relaxing effect and I get a great sleep, but that's only once in a blue moon. I use those dissolvable tablets that do leave a bit of grit and floaties in the mix. But for spraying, if you had a coffee filter or paper towels folded up as a filter and pour the dissolved Aspirin thru and let it filter it, then it should be good for spraying I'd think. They will dissolve in a small amount of water.

On pollen, I got close to half a teaspoon yesterday from my male that I wrapped up in baking paper with a desiccant sachet, in separate zip lock bags so I don't introduce condensation, storing in fridge but may move to freezer, any idea which?

That is great if Aspirin can be used like Colloidal Silver to produce male pollen balls. I tried CS last year but in spite of spraying 4-6 x daily, it didn't work for me. My CS was homemade and I think most CS used in making feminised pollen is like 50-60ppm whereas mine is only 24ppm that's why I sprayed multiple times a day, but any higher strength needs to be 'capped' I think one way is using cinnamon, which I've not tried yet, it helps keep the atomic silver that forms clusters, to a very small size, otherwise any more than 24ppm and they start getting bigger and the silver will fall out of solution, you can see it sparking in the water and coating the inside of the jar. At one stage I used a needle to prick the stems to introduce a bit of CS into the stem tissue to help it along as I read of someone who had positive experience with that, but no still it didn't work for me unfortunately. If I try that again I make the capped stuff which I think you can do up even 300ppm but it sounds like 50-60ppm is something to aim for.

Stunger my seeds didnt pull through had some mold left bags on them too long without catching it but added a product called gnatrol and its a bacillius strain and think is what made a gray fuzz grow all over the surface so I sprayed it but my dumb self forgot sprouts are the most sensitive. So we will never get to see what they will turn into I am sorry.
On the flip side check out these clones I replaced them with.
That's a shame on the mold. I lost a plant this last week, it's gutting that happens but good if you can learn from it. The clones are showing some vigor which is great!

Ya know I never thought to filter the solution hahah the simplest mechanical means to get around the problem!
You sire are a genius!
Thank you!
I guess I am stoned too often to think of the simple things.. Haven't boughten coffee filters in a while been french pressing and making espresso. Which is good for collecting the spent grinds.
Will give a go with a paper towel though.
I had a jug of this cs it was a whole gallon of 50 ppm and is completely off the market now. But I was cutting that 50/50 with RO water and what I did was introduced it 2 weeks prior to flowering.
Then continued 2 weeks in 2-3 times a day.
From what I seen the silver thiosulfate compound is tits for reversing it is a one a day spray 5 days prior and flip it hermies and makes a lot of male flowers.
I never heard that about cinnamon but very interesting. I have some cinnamon essential oil I will add a drop to my solution.
But it was cool to see what you were seeing and finding with the proteins size changing.
I like watching them too its trippy like a lava lamp the proteins look like tiny tiny metallic glass like crsytal shards.
You know what else looks cool is I found by accident to make a big fly trap it didnt really catch too many gnats but vinegar baking soda dish oap and citric acid but a decent ammount of baking soda and it makes this weird milky sparkly cloudy lava lamp like emulsion then saturates the liquid and takes a little while to resettle but is like homemade lava lamp liquid.
Yea it is a bummer to lose the little ones so precious they are. Feeling like had I baked the mix like I told myself to that would have never happened.
The one clone is a beast and as much as I dont want to perform surgery on taking the basket apart section by section I am gonna because I know that it will grow much better and I want the ring back to put in the system LOL she's floating in a cup of some light food and added minute level of a homemade cleaar rez. Just switched over to sterile machines and cubes by running cal-hypo in the soak and the res with a homemade solution.
I am gonna try a machine with fulvic acid and beneficials though to see what I like more.

Gonna make a fresh batch of coco coir. Add mykos and use the new honey dip with the Beauvaria Bassiana in the seed cell prop tray. My favorite tried true method but always used the gel though so the honey will be different to see how it makes them roots like that.
I added a little dab to the machine they were in and seemed to have saved them from whatever mold was killing them off.

I feel the same way about pain killers theres that odd once in a while I use some aspirin for an achey pain thats gonna keep me up and find that the narcotics are not for me but have needed them at times they make me feel high and its weird to me being high from cannabis is so much better feeling to me.
A lot of them make me sleepy. Or get short fused and or sick so I have to stick to my guns and almost took a tab a couple weeks ago but worked through agonizing pain with the help of a lot of other things.

The rule of thumb is 325mg of it or 1 adult pill or an effervescent tablet will also work and is what I have been using lately for the ease of use and reliability.
Thanx for your process. Would you suggest one tablet per gallon??
Asking for a friend!!! :ciao:

I had a jug of this cs it was a whole gallon of 50 ppm and is completely off the market now. But I was cutting that 50/50 with RO water and what I did was introduced it 2 weeks prior to flowering.
Then continued 2 weeks in 2-3 times a day.
From what I seen the silver thiosulfate compound is tits for reversing it is a one a day spray 5 days prior and flip it hermies and makes a lot of male flowers.
I never heard that about cinnamon but very interesting. I have some cinnamon essential oil I will add a drop to my solution.
That is interesting that you were diluting a 50ppm to 25ppm, which is about what I was trying it at. The people I saw who had success were using 50-60ppm. When I make CS I use a magnetic stirrer to keep everything moving, because then there is less likelihood of clumping or congregating of the silver particles. Initially CS is made in ultra distilled water to make ionic silver, I haven't yet tried to making a higher strength with the 'capped' method. But it is at that phase of when Ionic silver is being made that the capping agent needs to be in the solution. Don't add cinnamon oil to your solution because it is too late for that (there are other capping agents but at the moment I just remember cinnamon), it needs to be done while the ionic silver is being generated as that will ensure the clusters or congregations of ionic silver remain small and invisible to the eye. If you taste some Ionic Silver it will have a metallic taste. However to turn it into atomic silver you need to add an electron, that's done with a reducing agent and then the result is colloidal silver which will taste like water. So don't add cinnamon to your finished product, it needs to done during the process of making ionic silver. It sounds like Silver Thiosulfate works more dependably but needs some care in preparation.

Stunger thank you for the information it all makes sense to me now. Them stir plates are great I bought a cheap one years back and it is ugly as can be but what I do with it I can care less how it looks... I want one that heats up now lol
But I was also planning to make my own cs for the cost it is from a store cs isn't so cheap but worth it for what it can do.
Thats good to know though that can be as high as 300 ppm but I swear the 25 works just has so many applications to do it, its crazy.
I had good sucess with that first one I ever used and the health version that is super concentrated and brown not work so good.
The compound solution is definitely one to use for the very serious grower.
So far I see its relatively the same expense as a bottle of the concentrated cs but is a 2 part so requires some mixing still.
Everything in the industry is a trade off.

Back
Top Bottom