Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

Thinking ahead, do you see any problem using OC+ in 16oz hempys? Young seedlings should be fine with a small dosage, don't you think? This time around I used GH nutes until I transplanted.

That might also serve as a "reserve" after transplanting into a larger hempy, until the roots hit the bottom. Thoughts?

Just thought I would mention that when you run water tests on your tap water, you should let the water run for at least 30-60 seconds before taking a sample, since the first water to come out will have higher ppm's due to having sat in the pipes for a while.

Good point, SS.

Just thought I would mention that when you run water tests on your tap water, you should let the water run for at least 30-60 seconds before taking a sample, since the first water to come out will have higher ppm's due to having sat in the pipes for a while.

Good point, SS.

the first bunch of my tap water also smells way stronger of chlorine, so I let it run before adding to my filling rez. (and then let the rest of chlorine evap over night)

Add condensate to your watering mix from the Dehum and AC as often as possible.

Might not hurt to make sure that there isn't any mold/etc. growing in them before using the water. It's been known to happen in constantly-damp appliances.

can this stuff be used in an aeroponic setup? NVM I read that its not aero friendly. What a shame...

OC+ is a controlled released fertilizer (CRF), so it requires that the plants be in some sort of solid media; dirt, perlite, etc. CRFs are "no bueno" for straight hydroponic setups like DWC and aeroponics as the nutrients must be totally dissolved in water.

Been thinking about "solid media" and OC+.

Since the release of nutes is driven by osmosis, the degree to which the prills are in contact with the media may have a direct effect on release rates.

What I'm wondering is whether OC+ would work better in denser media like soil, than lighter media with lots of airspace like coarse horticultural Perlite. I can't see how the prills would have good contact in those circumstances.

It's possible that finer grade perlite, or other soil-less media that are finer in particle size than coarse horticultural perlite, might be a better choice for growing with OC+.

I have read several reputable studies now that have shown that the most effective way to mix the prills into the media is to mix them in evenly before potting.

I tried to research this question online, but so far have come up empty.

It just makes sense to me that since the prills are dependent on water flowing over them to work, they also need good contact with the media for the osmosis to happen at a consistent rate.

For an extreme example, think of using them in straight Hydroton. We'll have to assume that they all didn't just get washed down to the res, which is another whole discussion ;).

Might not hurt to make sure that there isn't any mold/etc. growing in them before using the water. It's been known to happen in constantly-damp appliances.

That's good advice. By coincidence, I just had to clean out my condensate line. It was clogged with stuff I wouldn't water burdocks with. My dehumidifier is brand new... and has no trap.

:peace:

@ SS
OC+ in roots organics hydro coco mix might be kinda slick.

Been thinking about "solid media" and OC+.

Since the release of nutes is driven by osmosis, the degree to which the prills are in contact with the media may have a direct effect on release rates.

What I'm wondering is whether OC+ would work better in denser media like soil, than lighter media with lots of airspace like coarse horticultural Perlite. I can't see how the prills would have good contact in those circumstances.

It's possible that finer grade perlite, or other soil-less media that are finer in particle size than coarse horticultural perlite, might be a better choice for growing with OC+.

I have read several reputable studies now that have shown that the most effective way to mix the prills into the media is to mix them in evenly before potting.

I tried to research this question online, but so far have come up empty.

It just makes sense to me that since the prills are dependent on water flowing over them to work, they also need good contact with the media for the osmosis to happen at a consistent rate.

For an extreme example, think of using them in straight Hydroton. We'll have to assume that they all didn't just get washed down to the res, which is another whole discussion ;).

It's interesting you mention the perlite size. I'm having some issues with plants in #4. The plants I have in #3 have no issues, but have only been in perlite for 3 weeks. Maybe Doc will chime in on his perlite size, because his grow turned out well to say the least.

It's interesting you mention the perlite size. I'm having some issues with plants in #4. The plants I have in #3 have no issues, but have only been in perlite for 3 weeks. Maybe Doc will chime in on his perlite size, because his grow turned out well to say the least.

my first grow was with hydrofarm perlite. It was pretty fine, just a bit bigger than a peppercorn. Things went well.

My other grows was with coarse, horticultural perlite....things also went well.

Some had vermiculite, some not.

I think the water and nutes are the main thing. I had troubles with FF and AN. The Osmocote was flawless.

@ SS
OC+ in roots organics hydro coco mix might be kinda slick.

Indeed it might ;)

I like Roots Organics products.

I'm using Sunshine #4 perlite. Beautiful stuff. Big glassy chunks and much less dust than hardware store perlite, but I'm merely postulating that, while it may work with OC+, it may not be the best choice of media for interfacing with prills.

Mine are doing fine in Fox Farm's Big & Chunky Perlite. Not sure of the size, but I'm sure it's smaller than 4.

The Sunshine #4 perlite is very chunky and looks a lot more volcanic than the MG stuff from the hardware store. Some of the chunks are even different colors, light gray and light brown.

I was taken aback when I opened the bag after being used to the powdery white MG perlite, but could be that finer grades work better.

I am currently using a pretty fine perlite with OC+...no clue the number with my Hempy Cheese...she is my healthiest, fastest growing plant to date.

I finished off my last Cheese and Pineapple Express with OC+ and both my girls started to eat their fan leaves when they were done and no age feminization flowers.

Nothing but happy with the flavor of my weed so OC+ added no bad tastes.

:peace:

Indeed it might ;)

I like Roots Organics products.
I put a few cuts in roots coco with dynamite a few days ago and they're growing strong compared to the same cuts in rockwool with nutes , but this thread is for OC.:)

I put a few cuts in roots coco with dynamite a few days ago and they're growing strong compared to the same cuts in rockwool with nutes , but this thread is for OC.:)

It's cool.....dyanamite, Ocmoscote.....the point is very high quality nutrients are available for those who can think for themselves....at a fraction of the cost of MJ nutes.

I think CRF's are a perfect match for coco. They'll keep releasing until the coco is saturated....

TRF + Coco. It just seems to good to be true.

Ultimately Id like to drop the perlite all together and use rice hulls with coco and a few lava rocks if needed. Trying to leave as small a footprint as possible.

TRF + Coco. It just seems to good to be true.

Ultimately Id like to drop the perlite all together and use rice hulls with coco and a few lava rocks if needed. Trying to leave as small a footprint as possible.

I think that sounds like a winner. I'm also intrigued by peat, as well as pine bark. Both tend to lower pH...which means less work for someone like me who has fairly alkaline tap water at 8ish pH.

In fact, ProMix with a bit of pine bark added might be a winner. So would Coco with a bit of pine bark.

The main thing is drainage....or more specifically...decreasing the Perched Water Table.

Have you noticed all the people using OC+now? There are some really nice grows where that is the base/only nute being used.

I predict in a year, we'll have something special. I'm working on a humor/educational thread starter:

Cannabis for Stoners: how you can grow really good pot while stoned out of your mind. (also good for sober people who don't know what the hell they're doing)

Osmocote will be featured front and center.

'Casa de Pot' will need to order a shit ton more of OC+ next year!

Back
Top Bottom