Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

I think you'll be happy with the results. I sure have been.

However, OC+ does have one weakness: heat.

My last grow, the temps were never over about 82 at the canopy.
On my current grow, due to a severe heatwave, I had canopy temps at around 87 for an entire day, and those plants showed a bit of nitrogen over feeding....not much, mind you, but a bit.

Another grower has been battling really high temps, and his OC+ plants didn't do as well. So, OC+ will do a superb job as long as the temps are under control.

If you anticipate high temps, use dynamite......OR use half the dose of OC+ and add more as needed.

If the environment is under control, you'll be very happy with OC+.

Thanks Doc. Fall has arrived here, most highs are in the mid to upper 70's and low 50's at night. Beautiful weather.

Do you think I should give them a shot of epsom salts or just let the OC+ do it's thing?

Just had to chime in here, after my moderately successful first indoor (soil grow) last winter I happened upon a few "hempy method" threads and I spent the summer researching and felt it was perfect for me, this OC+ feeding option also greatly appealed to me.
I sprouted some seeds first of September and since I had more germinate than expected I was able to go 5 perlite/hempy and 5 soil, all in 2.5 gallon pots and all loaded with OC+.
The soil sprouts took off much quicker under my new 400W HPS but the hempy plants caught and passed them extremely quickly after the roots found the reservoir.
The plants look extremely healthy and to be honest I really like the ease and low stress level that time released nutes give ME. I am really surprised my plants survived in my last grow for all the effing around I was doing with my nutes and ph level.
Anyway, I just wanted to thank some of you for blazing a path in this area for us simple/lazy hobby growers.

Just had to chime in here, after my moderately successful first indoor (soil grow) last winter I happened upon a few "hempy method" threads and I spent the summer researching and felt it was perfect for me, this OC+ feeding option also greatly appealed to me.
I sprouted some seeds first of September and since I had more germinate than expected I was able to go 5 perlite/hempy and 5 soil, all in 2.5 gallon pots and all loaded with OC+.
The soil sprouts took off much quicker under my new 400W HPS but the hempy plants caught and passed them extremely quickly after the roots found the reservoir.
The plants look extremely healthy and to be honest I really like the ease and low stress level that time released nutes give ME. I am really surprised my plants survived in my last grow for all the effing around I was doing with my nutes and ph level.
Anyway, I just wanted to thank some of you for blazing a path in this area for us simple/lazy hobby growers.

Hey pokershark welcome to this thread! I feel like I could have written most of what you just did. I'm just starting down the hempy/oc+ road myself, I'll be checking out your grow. :peacetwo:

Welcome to sane growing!
While I can certainly agree with everything you said, and have experienced exactly what you're talking about myself.....using quality plant food, like Osmocote Plus isn't simple or lazy! It's intelligent.

Using ultra-overpriced, complicated, multi-part fertilizer with silly names like "Kushie Kush," or "Bud Blood," isn't the sign of a person willing to do hard work to get the best.....it's evidence of a person who has been subdued by pure hype. (I was one.....once.)

Again, welcome to the world of sane growing.

Hey pokershark welcome to this thread! I feel like I could have written most of what you just did. I'm just starting down the hempy/oc+ road myself, I'll be checking out your grow. :peacetwo:

Right on, bro!

Welcome to sane growing!
While I can certainly agree with everything you said, and have experienced exactly what you're talking about myself.....using quality plant food, like Osmocote Plus isn't simple or lazy! It's intelligent.

Using ultra-overpriced, complicated, multi-part fertilizer with silly names like "Kushie Kush," or "Bud Blood," isn't the sign of a person willing to do hard work to get the best.....it's evidence of a person who has been subdued by pure hype. (I was one.....once.)

Again, welcome to the world of sane growing.
I am not experienced enough to make those kind of statements about the high priced nute systems out there, but from all the grows I have followed I do not see anything mind blowing in them that justifies their massive expense... but then again I have not smoked their results.

Thanks for the reps pokershark, right back at ya.

Whatever happened on your grow? I read your journal, things were looking great.

Where did you get those y splitter sockets that your cfl's were in? I'd love to get some of those.

Sadly, near the end of my flowering period my stalk split from the stress of the lst-ing I did in the scrog. I salvaged some smoke-able stuff and was able to make a lot of cannabutter with the rest but I was devastated as I was so close to completion and did not have the heart to finish my journal at the time.

Those Y's and plug in adapters can be found at Lowes or Walmart for under $2 but you can have the 20 I have as I went to HPS this grow.:ganjamon:

^^^ often times broken stalks can be mended by taping and splinting.

Ok, some advice is needed from all you hempologists here. I have a plant displaying some recent odd growth that for the life of me I can't decide on the cause of.
I't's a 4 week old plant that has been growing in an OC+ charged hempy bucket that has been doing great until just a few days ago when the new growth started getting stunted.
No change in the older healthy foliage that I can notice. I have used distilled water with the exception of one watering cycle that I had to use un-ph'ed tap water that usually measures 7.6 but none of my other plants that were watered that day show any signs of this?
Any thoughts?

hemp22.jpg

Hemp13.jpg

Ok, that may be the problem.

That's a good PH for a soil grow, but a bit high for hydro, and zinc gets locked out when PH is high.

Your other plants may be more tolerant of the high PH level, but I'd use PH down to get the distilled water down to 6.0 or thereabouts.

Are you adding cal-mag to your distilled water, because you should since it doesn't contain any minerals, and it will also help drop the PH down into a good range.

If you're not adding 5-10ml of cal-mag to your distilled water, try doing that first and see what the PH comes out at. It will probably get you down close to 6.0.

If you're already using cal-mag, then just use enough PH down to get you there.

or yep, like doc just said, you could use PH'ed tap water, which is what I'm back to using with good results.

Guys I thought OC+ had all the micros that the plants need. And if I remember right they're chelated so they work at any ph? Should I be supplementing, I really want to try just OC+ and water and see what happens but not if I'm courting problems I guess.

I'm using captured rainwater that consistently ph's at around 6.8.

Back
Top Bottom