Pawpaw Medicine Tent 2.0 Perpetual Grow Journal

I have been doing some thinking.....and the earth stopped. ok maybe not but after doing some more research and reading I belive that the Geo Flora method with some extras like EWC and Compost is as close to True organic living soil as it gets without spending hundreds of dollars is soil admendments and soil , a million hrs of Mixing bat shit and goose beaks DONT GET ME WRONG!! we're I 40 yrs younger, with lot room I would have a LOS pit in my back yard.
I didnt realize Geoflora mixed into the soil is re-useable, Im doing a little work trying to see if compost and EWC make the re-used as efficient or better,I am trying to find anything about cooking the soil for 90 days between uses
I always use Foxfarm Ocean forest in the FF alone consist of all the makings of LOS . combined with the with Geoflora should make some pretty potent soil
with GF you get the benefits of LOS better smell ,better Taste and higher potency at half the price ,work, and time. I really think for myself doing something Like @Emilya Green is doing by using Geoflora and a SIP. is the way I will go next time and honestly I regret not using it this time
when I talked to E'm about a month or so ago she explained a lot of things about LOS/SIP along with 5-6 other organic/sip growers (thx again ya'all) and honestly it is what makes sense for my experience level. already familiar and having already grown with it along with adding a SIP is enough of a challenge Like I said earlier going to LOS and a SIP at the same time is too much. I know what deficiencies look like and how to handle some. but like the problems I had with the SWICKS we saw the symptom's over watering /cal mag but it took me 2 weeks to figure out what was the cause and I spent my time focused on the soil while it was the Swick root issue.
There was a question I neglected to ask E'm and that was" why did you switch from LOS to GF? " I think I could answer that lol
* you may find pages like this around my journal I post them as a reminder to myself to look at where I been and where I should go with my grows .
If you are not familar or want to take a second look check them out here > GEOFLORA
STAY SAFE & STAY STONED
AND EXCUSE TYPOS

That's because there  is none. Once the plant "catches" you just keep water in the reservoir at all times. And once the plant is big and robust enough you can keep the reservoir topped off if you want, though I generally let the water level drop to where there's less than a day's worth left and then give it enough for another couple of days. There is no dry cycle with these systems. When the soil dries out there is a pause in the growth which we want no part of, so we ensure the roots have constant access to water.

With GF you can skip the whole learning about soil thing since it works with most soil-like substrates, even coco.

So, there you go. Just saved you some time that is better spent on a stool admiring your plants anyway. ;)
Azimuth thank you
let me see if I understand this so using a SIP has similarities to a Hydro system but a lot more forgiving.well maybe not real close to to hydro more the always wet roots so If i let the sip dry out it will cause issues down the road? I transplanted on the 11th today is the 20th. I had notice the plant was drinking but growing slow yesterday I noticed the grow is growing again with a vengeance and ill be able to switch to flower next week
Azi thanks again you have been a huge help (all you guys have been)
thank you

I have been doing some thinking.....and the earth stopped. ok maybe not but after doing some more research and reading I belive that the Geo Flora method with some extras like EWC and Compost is as close to True organic living soil as it gets without spending hundreds of dollars is soil admendments and soil , a million hrs of Mixing bat shit and goose beaks DONT GET ME WRONG!! we're I 40 yrs younger, with lot room I would have a LOS pit in my back yard.
I didnt realize Geoflora mixed into the soil is re-useable, Im doing a little work trying to see if compost and EWC make the re-used as efficient or better,I am trying to find anything about cooking the soil for 90 days between uses
I always use Foxfarm Ocean forest in the FF alone consist of all the makings of LOS . combined with the with Geoflora should make some pretty potent soil
with GF you get the benefits of LOS better smell ,better Taste and higher potency at half the price ,work, and time. I really think for myself doing something Like @Emilya Green is doing by using Geoflora and a SIP. is the way I will go next time and honestly I regret not using it this time
when I talked to E'm about a month or so ago she explained a lot of things about LOS/SIP along with 5-6 other organic/sip growers (thx again ya'all) and honestly it is what makes sense for my experience level. already familiar and having already grown with it along with adding a SIP is enough of a challenge Like I said earlier going to LOS and a SIP at the same time is too much. I know what deficiencies look like and how to handle some. but like the problems I had with the SWICKS we saw the symptom's over watering /cal mag but it took me 2 weeks to figure out what was the cause and I spent my time focused on the soil while it was the Swick root issue.
There was a question I neglected to ask E'm and that was" why did you switch from LOS to GF? " I think I could answer that lol
* you may find pages like this around my journal I post them as a reminder to myself to look at where I been and where I should go with my grows .
If you are not familar or want to take a second look check them out here > GEOFLORA
STAY SAFE & STAY STONED
AND EXCUSE TYPOS
Dude! Would it kill ya to hit the return key every once in a while??!? Lol. :rofl:

Although seriously, that kind of wall of words can make posts hard to read and I've been known to just skip over them. :Namaste:

You may be overthinking it with the GF and all the amending. While you can do it, it is totally unnecessary and if you look at the ingredient list, they're already adding most of the stuff you'd add anyway.

Plus, skipping them just gives you that much more time on your stool admiring your plants. ;)

Azimuth thank you
let me see if I understand this so using a SIP has similarities to a Hydro system but a lot more forgiving.well maybe not real close to to hydro more the always wet roots so If i let the sip dry out it will cause issues down the road?
You'll get hydro type growth in a more forgiving, and less complicated set-up. The roots will be fine if the dry out occasionally, but then you're eliminating one of the biggest benefits of SIP which is constant growth enabled by constant access to water.

I transplanted on the 11th today is the 20th. I had notice the plant was drinking but growing slow yesterday I noticed the grow is growing again with a vengeance and ill be able to switch to flower next week
Sounds like the transition went smoothly. :thumb:

Which it should since it's already used the whole bottom watering thing.

Azi thanks again you have been a huge help (all you guys have been)
thank you
Happy to help. I love the lightbulbs that come on when growers try it the first time. This thing can change the way you grow!

@Azimuth your are so right wall O Text is hell . when I try reading them with my old eyes they start watering and i cant get thru it. and I went back thru and your are so right, I know I was terrible about rambling especially when I'm High. But I didn't realize I did it in one sentence :rofl:

I know it bothers me when I go back read all my typos, I just hope everybody is as stoned as I am and dont care or didnt catch it lol.

But in all seriousness I do appreciate you pointing that out. I want you guys to read what I write, and chime in with advice. and you are right about that switch going off. one of the things I enjoy the most is learning something new that changes the quality of my grow

have a good evening everyone

Hey Buddy :ciao:
Sorry I fell behind.
Been trying to catch up.
Never enough time.
Hope your doing well.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

@Keffka hey buddy as you can see I started my LOS /sip grow as far as things go I have had smoother grows as it is now Im waiting for my plants to recover from a Cal/mag issues the soil doesnt seem to be meeting the needs of my plants I had to change from a SWICK to a real SIP. the swick reservoir was full of roots and not in a healthy way.

any way while the plants are healing up to get ready for the flip 12/12 I am venturing out and now I wanna be a weed - N- Worm farmer here is my home made bed
IMG_4109.jpg
IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg
IMG_4111.jpg

27 qts I have a list of questions for you and BTW your Harvest was awesome and the plants amazing awesome Job!

If you dont mind I want to clarify some things
1. I am laying down a layer about 6 inches using old FF of and happy frog
2.I have some Bokashi and Jobes compost activator. Should I add one or is both ok?

3. Donts (what can and cant add to the mix)
No meat, Pasta, nothing with seeds (are left over canned veggies ok?)
Do's coffee grounds, veggies, peels, egg shells, mulch dead wood

4 .Red Wigglers
with a container that size is 500 wigglers enough?
what about Night Crawlers? can they co--exsist with red worms? (my grandkids will never have to dig up fish bait once I get it established.)

From doing this worm composting How do I harvest the WORM castings? and what else can I use from the compost?
Side note I learned that the slime from worms is full of tons of Microbes(the good ones
any other recommendations? would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Savvage 61
BTW. the top right photo is my 2nd Of 3 grandsons. but as ya can tell he takes after his Grandmother she is a blockhead also :rofl:

Looks great Amigo, your handy too.:welldone:
It went well yesterday.
Hoping for a phone call today. 🤞
How are you doing?

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

@Keffka hey buddy as you can see I started my LOS /sip grow as far as things go I have had smoother grows as it is now Im waiting for my plants to recover from a Cal/mag issues the soil doesnt seem to be meeting the needs of my plants I had to change from a SWICK to a real SIP. the swick reservoir was full of roots and not in a healthy way.

any way while the plants are healing up to get ready for the flip 12/12 I am venturing out and now I wanna be a weed - N- Worm farmer here is my home made bed
IMG_4109.jpg
IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg
IMG_4111.jpg

27 qts I have a list of questions for you and BTW your Harvest was awesome and the plants amazing awesome Job!

2.I have some Bokashi and Jobes compost activator. Should I add one or is both ok?

4 .Red Wigglers
what about Night Crawlers? can they co--exsist with red worms? (my grandkids will never have to dig up fish bait once I get it established.)

From doing this worm composting How do I harvest the WORM castings? and what else can I use from the compost?
Side note I learned that the slime from worms is full of tons of Microbes(the good ones

Thank you
Savvage 61
BTW. the top right photo is my 2nd Of 3 grandsons. but as ya can tell he takes after his Grandmother she is a blockhead also :rofl:

For your first grow did you amend the soil at all or run straight out of the bag? What size pots? Is this journal that run? I can read back if it is. Calcium is a very common issue in a lot of organic grows that are smaller than 15 gallons. If you look at the journal I just started and read over my ingredients you’ll notice I used multiple sources of calcium in quite large amounts. Oyster shells, Dolomite lime, fish bone meal, etc. Cannabis also likes a slow feed calcium as well which can be accomplished with low ppm (50 ppm) living water or a little sprinkling of EWC every week or so.

For your worm specific Qs I’m gonna tag in @Gee64 I take the majority of my worm advice from him since he has been running his farm the exact way I am designing mine and has years of experience dealing with various inputs and methods. His real world knowledge of years dwarfs my book and limited experience knowledge.

For your first grow did you amend the soil at all or run straight out of the bag? What size pots? Is this journal that run? I can read back if it is. Calcium is a very common issue in a lot of organic grows that are smaller than 15 gallons. If you look at the journal I just started and read over my ingredients you’ll notice I used multiple sources of calcium in quite large amounts. Oyster shells, Dolomite lime, fish bone meal, etc. Cannabis also likes a slow feed calcium as well which can be accomplished with low ppm (50 ppm) living water or a little sprinkling of EWC every week or so.

For your worm specific Qs I’m gonna tag in @Gee64 I take the majority of my worm advice from him since he has been running his farm the exact way I am designing mine and has years of experience dealing with various inputs and methods. His real world knowledge of years dwarfs my book and limited experience knowledge.
I been taking to Gee64 about swicks it is a small world.
yeah it is my current grow I went from 5.5 gal fabric pots but I had to move them into 5 gal bucket with a SIP so I am guessing if im lucky they have 4.5 gal of soil. man I have never seen a bigger root ball in my life sadly they went wild and started filling the swick Res with what looked like 4 mop heads from each end of the wicks. Gee64 Got me hooked on WEC and you planted the worm bed in my head. as far as the soil I am using Geo Flora every 2 weeks (just started). I'm not sure is your familiar with GF but it is a top feeding. iM TAKING SOME TIPS FROM YOUR LAST GROW WITH

@Gee64 hello my friend HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A GOOD WEEKEND would you mind looking up about 3 post? you got me sold on the EWC and Talking with kef got me into the worm bed . then he told me you got him into it.
this truly is a 420 FAMILY :passitleft:
thx

IMG_4109.jpg
IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg
IMG_4111.jpg

4 .Red Wigglers

Thank you
Savvage 61
Worm Farms!👍👊 They are worth the work. Mine is called a Worm Factory 360. I am not saying you should run out and buy one as tons of people worm farm in bins, it was given to me as a gift so it got me started and its the only technique of worm farming I know so "how to do it in totes?"I have no idea but there will be a lot of youtubes on it.

As for the actual keeping/caring/feeding of the worms you must obey the composting carbon rules.

2 parts brown to 1 part green. You can use leaves or shredded plain cardboard or sawdust or whatever you want for your browns.

As for greens thats all veggy scraps from the cutting board, shake leaves, anything like that.

As this is a multi-month adventure you need to set your own parameters around browns and greens. Greens are easy, the kitchen supplies them. Browns can be tougher.

Here are my parameters, and they are fussy but what I put in today my plants eat in 4 months, so I use quality controls on the inputs.

It has to be organic. Otherwise it has bug spray on it and I am trying to grow bugs not kill them.

No animal protein. It doesn't compost, it needs to be broken down differently.

No canned veggies as they are salted but frozen or fresh is good, as long as its organic.

I put ammendments in my worm mix.

I use coco for carbon and I cut it with used soil to innoculate the worm farm with cannabis microbes. I cut it 2 to 1 coco to used soil, and my trays are 4 gallons so I use 2.6 gallons per tray of this mix.

For greens I keep all my scraps in large ziplock bags and in the freezer. Anything leafy like spinach, lettuce, cabbage, kale, etc I keep in a bag of its own. That is because when leafy greens freeze you can thump the frozen bag and it shatters into a meal. Its way easier to work with.

I actually crush all my greens up when they are frozen.

Weed is the best green. All those minerals and nutes we put in the soil end up in the leaves. I recycle all my weed leftovers through the worm farm. I freeze it too and shatter it into meal.

Avocados or cukes or squash I cut length ways. Pumpkin is unreal, if you add it in slabs and fresh they eat it incredibly fast.

As for ammendments I use the same mix I would for making flower soil, but I scale it down to what a 4 gallon pot would use, and run that through the worm farm too.

If I ever need to water it, which is rare, I use reverse osmosis water, but if your tap water is chlorine free its probably fine.

No onions or anything like that such as garlics, etc.

What you put in now is what you are stuck with in 4 months, so if you create ultra-high-end specialty cannabis worm castings today, in 4 months they arrive. If you create pulp mill cardboard and hydroponic tomato worm castings today, thats what you get in 4 months.

In theory myco fungii can survive, and sometimes the spores do, but don't get too caught up in fungii here. You are creating food. You can worry about myco in other areas but in a worm farm most myco will get eaten.

Its about worms and microbes, so used soil is a great microbe innoculant to go with the worms.

The carbon is the fuel that the microbes run on so you get that as microbe manure, and the greens are all your aminos broken down and ready to feed the plant so you can see the value of clean carbon and nutritious broad spectrum greens.

The easiest way is to grow things out in the yard to feed to the worms and then stock the freezer every fall.

Anything in the squash/pumpkin family makes them really happy.

I put some coffee grounds in but most of my coffee grounds go in my outdoor composter.

My system pays me 4 gallons of EWC every 2 weeks. Thats enough for me. That gives me 20 gallons of EWC every 10 weeks.

I grow in 40 gallons of soil every 10 weeks.

My leftovers slowly build up and twice a year I have about 20 extra gallons.

Worm Farms!👍👊 They are worth the work. Mine is called a Worm Factory 360. I am not saying you should run out and buy one as tons of people worm farm in bins, it was given to me as a gift so it got me started and its the only technique of worm farming I know so "how to do it in totes?"I have no idea but there will be a lot of youtubes on it.

As for the actual keeping/caring/feeding of the worms you must obey the composting carbon rules.

2 parts brown to 1 part green. You can use leaves or shredded plain cardboard or sawdust or whatever you want for your browns.

As for greens thats all veggy scraps from the cutting board, shake leaves, anything like that.

As this is a multi-month adventure you need to set your own parameters around browns and greens. Greens are easy, the kitchen supplies them. Browns can be tougher.

Here are my parameters, and they are fussy but what I put in today my plants eat in 4 months, so I use quality controls on the inputs.

It has to be organic. Otherwise it has bug spray on it and I am trying to grow bugs not kill them.

No animal protein. It doesn't compost, it needs to be broken down differently.

No canned veggies as they are salted but frozen or fresh is good, as long as its organic.

I put ammendments in my worm mix.

I use coco for carbon and I cut it with used soil to innoculate the worm farm with cannabis microbes. I cut it 2 to 1 coco to used soil, and my trays are 4 gallons so I use 2.6 gallons per tray of this mix.

For greens I keep all my scraps in large ziplock bags and in the freezer. Anything leafy like spinach, lettuce, cabbage, kale, etc I keep in a bag of its own. That is because when leafy greens freeze you can thump the frozen bag and it shatters into a meal. Its way easier to work with.

I actually crush all my greens up when they are frozen.

Weed is the best green. All those minerals and nutes we put in the soil end up in the leaves. I recycle all my weed leftovers through the worm farm. I freeze it too and shatter it into meal.

Avocados or cukes or squash I cut length ways. Pumpkin is unreal, if you add it in slabs and fresh they eat it incredibly fast.

As for ammendments I use the same mix I would for making flower soil, but I scale it down to what a 4 gallon pot would use, and run that through the worm farm too.

If I ever need to water it, which is rare, I use reverse osmosis water, but if your tap water is chlorine free its probably fine.

No onions or anything like that such as garlics, etc.

What you put in now is what you are stuck with in 4 months, so if you create ultra-high-end specialty cannabis worm castings today, in 4 months they arrive. If you create pulp mill cardboard and hydroponic tomato worm castings today, thats what you get in 4 months.

In theory myco fungii can survive, and sometimes the spores do, but don't get too caught up in fungii here. You are creating food. You can worry about myco in other areas but in a worm farm most myco will get eaten.

Its about worms and microbes, so used soil is a great microbe innoculant to go with the worms.

The carbon is the fuel that the microbes run on so you get that as microbe manure, and the greens are all your aminos broken down and ready to feed the plant so you can see the value of clean carbon and nutritious broad spectrum greens.

The easiest way is to grow things out in the yard to feed to the worms and then stock the freezer every fall.

Anything in the squash/pumpkin family makes them really happy.

I put some coffee grounds in but most of my coffee grounds go in my outdoor composter.

My system pays me 4 gallons of EWC every 2 weeks. Thats enough for me. That gives me 20 gallons of EWC every 10 weeks.

I grow in 40 gallons of soil every 10 weeks.

My leftovers slowly build up and twice a year I have about 20 extra gallons.

Talk to us about your leachate from the worms as well please.. how much you average, what you do with it, etc.

Talk to us about your leachate from the worms as well please.. how much you average, what you do with it, etc.
I don't use it. Some swear by it and others view it as a toxin. I can't find anything to substantiate it either way so I stay away from it. When your farm is just right you don't really get much anyways.

I don't use it. Some swear by it and others view it as a toxin. I can't find anything to substantiate it either way so I stay away from it. When your farm is just right you don't really get much anyways.

Rev swears by it. In my opinion, there’s so much else going on balancing wise I don’t want to account for a liquid that varies over time. I would toss it or use it experimentally. It’s composition can vary so it’s not dependable enough to count on

Rev swears by it. In my opinion, there’s so much else going on balancing wise I don’t want to account for a liquid that varies over time. I would toss it or use it experimentally. It’s composition can vary so it’s not dependable enough to count on
It may be excellent stuff, I simply don't know and haven't tested it yet.

I am going to add some amendents the ingredients in Geo flora has a blog about adding it to compost but I am going to add some stuff I have around here I got a bag of Jobes activator the people at GF recommended that. this is all new to me. Im excited (who gets excited about raising worms for thier poop? old stoners who tried everything else, I guess :rofl:

what about worms? I got that 27 gallon container is 500 wigglers about right? and what about night crawlers ?
I have so many questions Gee64. but I need to do the research, I dont want to bombard ya with questions. but if ya dont mind, that if I come across something I dont understand maybe I can get your thoughts.

*last minute question what about rinds like water melon, cantaloupe NO SEEDS

I appreciate your help , and the same goes for @Keffka
Thx Guys

Fin fact. The worm slime is made up of calcium carbonate which will help with the low calcium levels Keff mentioned.

, it was given to me as a gift so it got me started and its the only technique of worm farming I know so "how to do it in totes?"I have no idea but there will be a lot of youtubes on it.
Or ask Azi. Pretty sure his worm farm is a series of stacked totes. 🤔 :rofl:

There are several issues with leachate, and it is definitely  not worm tea. Not everything in the leachate has gone through the gut of a worm which is where the magic happens. Plus you can get varying pH levels which can mess with other things.

I use mine mostly to moisten my compost pile or on ornamentals, but never on stuff that's consumable.

Back
Top Bottom