PC Case Ninja Grow (Current)

k1net1k

1st time grower. Growing single plant for personal supply. I am hoping for an ounce to harvest every few months. I hope this isn't being naieve :)

My other thread here is a discussion about PC cases and grow area design.

I have 3 seeds, all random bagseed, spanning over several years. Basically these seeds all came from reputable crops, because I cannot remember the last time i had bad smoke :)
I am hoping for an ounce to harvest every few months.
Because I am learning, I have chosen to only try one at a time. This way if I make a mistake I can correct it for future grows. lets have happy thoughts for all females.

Also if I get in trouble im sure one single plant would be better than having plants at all different stages, or having multiple plants. Im probably wrong, but I think there is some merit there.

I'm from Australia. In my state our laws have changed several times. 10 years ago you could grow 10 outdoor plants and get essentially a CEN Fine (parking ticket), then they changed it to 5 plants, then 3 plants 2 weeks later, then a few years ago to 1 plant. It has never been ok to have any hydro or "assisted" growing methods.

For those reasons, my grow will be disguised in a computer case. I'm a computer geek, so this shouldnt be a problem.

Here is my journal >>>>

Re: PC case ninja grow

Funny thing here, recently legislation banned use of incandescent lighting. From now on we must use these CFL style lights in our homes. Just found that amusing so I took a photo of the standard living room light bulb. They are in the aisle next to butter and orange juice at my local supermarket. They are 10W 2700k Warm white, no lumens information.
IMG_03362.JPG

Too weak to grow much with (although cfl surprises me on this forum), but I am getting their much bigger brothers from the hardware store this week. Details will come once i get them :)

Re: PC case ninja grow

Ok here are my seeds, well 2 of 3

IMG_03301.JPG

Day 2

This is seed #3, she looked to be the darkest of the seeds so i planted HER first.

Seed has cracked open and lil root coming out it looks. Sat them in some paper with water in a plastic container in my windowsil.

IMG_03352.JPG

Not bad for a seed that was sitting in a tin in a dark place for several years.

In typical pattern behaviour, I rushed in and did things. I thought it would take longer to germinate. I guess let the little root come out a bit before putting into meduim. Still can't decide what medium is best but I have a hydro store at the end of my street (lol) so I can decide anytime.

I am thinking a simple medium with a run to waste setup and hand watering. I get the feeling that soil with all its bugs etc, may be worse in such a closed area.

I realised that my little sprout will need some light soon. . I am going to make some sort of light box in a cardboard box to house my little baby once its potted. So little baby girl, for a week you are going to grandma's house in box-closet-land-ville.

IMG_0341.JPG

This will hopefully give me a week or something to build the real home.

Thanks Mr.

I am working on a new design. I have been doing lots and lots of research and have found some small improvements from my previous sketches.

Original design.
box112.jpg

Thanks Mr.

I am working on a new design. I have been doing lots and lots of research and have found some small improvements from my previous sketches.

Original design.
box112.jpg

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice sketch:cheer:.. what did u use to draw up that

You've got the concept right w/ your design, but it needs some tweaks IMO.
1. You need to keep in mind that CFL's need to be very close to the plant to work effectively, so being able to move your lights or your plant is a must. I see where your going by keeping the lights (and their heat) in a separate chamber. Instead, you could close off the reflector & install air ducts for separate venting, much like a HID reflectors design. That would allow you to move the light (kinda). Honestly, you could avoid all that hassel by..

2. If you can afford the vertical height, flood light CFL's pointing downward will do an outstanding job at properly reflecting the light compared to standard CFL's with a reflector. You have to remember that the light penetration from CFL's is relatively weak, and luminosity degrades exponentially with distance. I say save the hassle of making your own reflector & go with flood lights, as I doubt you can make a reflector that works as well as one built into a flood light anyway. The problem with flood lights is their size, they're big, and this is a PC case grow.

3. I found in my grow that having complete access all around the plant is useful, if not sometimes necessary. If you can't open up both sides of your case you may find yourself in an annoying situation since you won't be able to take her out with the scrog in there.

4. If you do use the scrog, remember that you have to drain your water pan since you can't take out the plant and take it to the bathroom to deal with at feeding time. Turkey basters are slow but they work.

5. Having only one plant growing is risky, as there is a 50/50 chance of girl or boy; and from what I know/seen, sex is predetermined. If you grow 12/12 from seed[ling] it'll take about a month to determine the sex. Waiting a month to realize you have to start over is wouldn't be much fun.

6. PC fans are great for ventilation, but don't expect them to move air threw a carbon filter. You'll have to buy a specialty fan for that.

Sooo my recommendations. I would have lights placed all around the plant for maximum exposure & vent out the heat/smell simultaneously. About the smell, there's not going to be huge amounts. IMO using a carbon filter is a bit excessive for a single plant, but if you can afford it, all the more power to ya as carbon filters work wonders. I found a cheap solution for odor are ONA products. ONA stands for odor neutralizing agent. You can buy the 'brand name', which is called ONA, and is expensive at ~$8 a (small) jar; you'll need multiple jars. I found a great 'offbrand' product that works just as well and is a little cheaper & is for sale at hardware stores, though I went to lowes and all of the jars they had were messed up; just make sure that the seal is not broken under the lid. Do you have lowes and homedepot in aus?
Links to the odor absorbers:
"brand" ONA Applications for ONA Odor Neutralizing Agent include Hydroponics Gardening, Home and Business
"off brand" Natural Magic Natural Magic - Natural Odor Control and Air Freshening
ONA sells lots of different sizes and types (blocks, gels, mists). I'd go for the 1 gallon size & be done with it.

I can't think of much more to say, but I love brainstorming so feel free to ask any questions.
EDIT: If you decide to keep your design you should do away with the CFL's altogether. I just don't think you'll be getting your moneys worth. Go for a 150w HPS. Just to save you the time researching, in order to match the amount of light an HPS expels with CFL's you would need to double the wattage (and lots of CFL's can make lots of heat). I'm not sure how large this fixture is but it just might squeeze into your case.
EDIT EDIT: Damn I forgot that the HPS light requires you to keep it +8" away from the plant, which will be impossible in a PC case. Back to CFL's!

CFL's need to be very close
Agreed. I have been testing in the last 24hrs for the heat produced by cfls in a small cardboard box, similar size to my intended pc area. They give off hardly any heat. This changed my plan. I am working on a new plan where the cfls hang from chains. I was going to make reflectors from soda cans.

flood light CFL's
Looked at these today actually. I found some that are a recessed showroom light with some weird cfl in there. Problem will be finding replacements for the weird circle cfl's they have. also, the [( shaped are 110mm in height, giving less vertical room. They look awesome though. Maybe for PC case#2

access all around the plant
Agreed, PC cases "usually" open on both sides anyway. I am going for a generic brand of case, not a stupid brand name case which wont let me open it nicely.

drain your water pan
Yep my new design has a slide out drain pan

only one plant is risky
True, but getting 2 females and having to kill one would be worse. I have 3 seeds, all of which are 50/50 female. I can definately only have 1 plant, and even if its male it will still let me test my grow area :) Lol I have been buying my stuff for 15years now, another month wont change things

PC fans are great for ventilation, but don't expect them to move air threw a carbon filter.
Yes, in my original design all the PC fans were doing was moving the hot air from the "light" section of the case. This has now changed.
I planned to have some sort of centrifugal fan hooked up to a home made carbon filter. The PC fan at the front of my case was only there as an intake.

I found a cheap solution for odor are ONA products
Wil probably use this as well as carbon filtering.

Do you have lowes and homedepot in aus?
We have similar stores. It takes me a while to find the sustitute brand here, but we get 99% the same stuff.

Damn I forgot that the HPS light requires you to keep it +8" away from the plant, which will be impossible in a PC case. Back to CFL's!
Yeah my thought pattern exactly. I also wanted to use CFL, because they are cheap and disposable. Next grow maybe an LED system !!

Heat/detection is also important. I am trying to get this working so that my girl can use my pc, and not notice anything !

Thanks for your comments DFW :Rasta::yummy::Rasta:

This is what I'm meaning by the flood lights. It's a regular CFL but with a reflector built from the ballast up.

Awesome. I will look out for these at my local store :) Im assuming all things equal the wattage/lumens/colortemp is the same as any other CFL

Would these bulbs be like the ones used to light up a outside area ? I am trying to find them at my store, but I don't think they are branded/labelled the same here.

I dont think our floodlights have gone CFL yet. Well they probably have, but not in mainstream brands on the shelves.

We really only just got spiral CFL's to use in bayonet sockets. And now its law we have to use them.

I guess I will keep looking for the floodlight style ones. they are probably on a bottom shelf somewhere.

LOL I have downloaded tradesmans technical manuals for all of the hardware suppliers I can get access too. I have hundreds of pages of technical specs on all types of lighting. Nice they put it all in a PDF for me to read :)

Ok im drawing properly now. Using proper scale in 3d. I will post a new design in a few hours. hope it all fits :)

I like it. I recommend having a minimum of 4000 lumen for 1 plant btw. Also just so you know, the most efficient CFL is the 23watt (100watt equivalent) spiral bulb that puts out 1600 lumen. I think 4 (or more) hanging around the plant would work great, but 2 42watt (150watt equiv) would work well also. I like the idea of using multiple 23w lights because they're smaller and you could place them all around the plant to get even coverage. Oh and if you wondering about what to use for reflective material on the inside for maximum efficiency, the best stuff is mylar. If you want to save some money and get something that still works well, I recommend an emergency blanket. You can buy them at walmart for a few bucks. Do not use foil as it creates hotspots and it doesn't work very well for reflection anyway.

box2a.jpg

halfway from what i had to where im going.

scaling fans in 3d to see which ones will fit in a case. LOL. Becomes tedious going through spec sheets to find the sizes.

I found some stuff, and decided i may as well do bubble hydro. takes up less room than pots/soil i think

I like it

4000 lumen for 1 plant btw

Here are my light options at the local store. There are several brands all with very similar specs.

Either 4 of these
24w
1550 lumens
2700k / 6500k

Or 2 of these
45w
2850 lumens
2700k / 6500k

I will probably for straight to 12/12.

most efficient CFL is the 23watt (100watt equivalent) spiral bulb that puts out 1600 lumen. I think 4 (or more) hanging around the plant would work great, but 2 42watt (150watt equiv) would work well also. I like the idea of using multiple 23w lights because they're smaller and you could place them all around the plant to get even coverage.

I think 4 of the little 24watt ones. More control. That will help when gigantic buds form on one side :cool:

mylar emergency blanket
Agreed. I will cut one up and line the inside of the case with it.

Back
Top Bottom