Perlite or Vermiculite?

Perlite is a grow medium for Hempy

Some add vermiculite into it to add more moisture, Ive tried it, didn't like it

Don't add coco, then yer creating a medium that isn't standard and will be a nightmare
That said lots of standard mediums have perlite in it

Good luck, and keep it simple...yes kiss

Don't add coco, then yer creating a medium that isn't standard and will be a nightmare
That said lots of standard mediums have perlite in it

Good luck, and keep it simple...yes kiss
Many of the best commercial composts are blended with coco, it's not a problem at all
This is in a mix of coco, potting soil, blood/fish &bone plus regular bottle feed, pH 5.8-6.3

Many of the best commercial composts are blended with coco, it's not a problem at all
This is in a mix of coco, potting soil, blood/fish &bone plus regular bottle feed, pH 5.8-6.3
In a cooked soil that is and should be added to that comment. Blending coir, peat and amendments without proper cooking, buffering and inoculation time is a recipe for disaster.

In a cooked soil that is and should be added to that comment. Blending coir, peat and amendments without proper cooking, buffering and inoculation time is a recipe for disaster.
Nope, just chuck it together and dump the plant in - works fine, QED
:passitleft:

Nope, just chuck it together and dump the plant in - works fine, QED
Awesome! I haven't seen the results and performance I'm looking for doing the lazy man style. Cheers!

I said a standard medium it's usually in it. But beginning growers shouldn't experiment with making and mixing a bunch of stuffs together..just because

Anyone have an opinion before i go out and buy some of each for my next grow.
Save the money and buy the Perlite.

Perlite has all kinds of bubbles, nooks and crannies in it, just like the famous English muffins. These will hold air and will hold water, often more H2O than most of us realize. Perlite for plants can suck up to four times its weight in water. One of the big, and popular, points is that Perlite helps loosen up and keeps natural soils from compacting. Mixing in Perlite and peat moss will do wonders for the texture of a soil mix so it stays looser and fluffier.

I remember when Vermiculite was popular, especially for potting soil that was going to be used with indoor plants. But it seems to have more going against its use than for it. It will hold water but sometimes if there is too much mixed in then it holds more water than is wanted and takes a long time to drain/dry. Vermiculite sponges up to sixteen times its weight in water. It can help keep some soils loose but it does not seem to do a good job in the long run. If there is too much mixed into the soil can lead to compacting.

Vermiculite is getting expensive as @BeccaBuds mentioned; most likely because it is non-renewable and future supplies cannot be man-made.

Save the money and buy the Perlite.

Perlite has all kinds of bubbles, nooks and crannies in it, just like the famous English muffins. These will hold air and will hold water, often more H2O than most of us realize. Perlite for plants can suck up to four times its weight in water. One of the big, and popular, points is that Perlite helps loosen up and keeps natural soils from compacting. Mixing in Perlite and peat moss will do wonders for the texture of a soil mix so it stays looser and fluffier.

I remember when Vermiculite was popular, especially for potting soil that was going to be used with indoor plants. But it seems to have more going against its use than for it. It will hold water but sometimes if there is too much mixed in then it holds more water than is wanted and takes a long time to drain/dry. Vermiculite sponges up to sixteen times its weight in water. It can help keep some soils loose but it does not seem to do a good job in the long run. If there is too much mixed into the soil can lead to compacting.

Vermiculite is getting expensive as @BeccaBuds mentioned; most likely because it is non-renewable and future supplies cannot be man-made.

Sounds like a few hands full of perlite will be good for the mix, thanx SW

Sounds like a few hands full of perlite will be good for the mix, thanx SW
Take notes and measure how much is used. Measure out the base mix; as in if you are using XYZ brand of soil you are starting off with 5 gallons and added 5 handfuls or better yet 5 cups of Perlite. At the end of the grow if you think you need more Perlite then you can try again with 8 cups instead.

Ain't much worse than thinking you are on the right track but when prepping for the next grow finding out you don't remember the best ratio to use and having to start all over again. Been there, done that.;)

Take notes and measure how much is used. Measure out the base mix; as in if you are using XYZ brand of soil you are starting off with 5 gallons and added 5 handfuls or better yet 5 cups of Perlite. At the end of the grow if you think you need more Perlite then you can try again with 8 cups instead.

Ain't much worse than thinking you are on the right track but when prepping for the next grow finding out you don't remember the best ratio to use and having to start all over again. Been there, done that.;)

So many times i’ve said, “Oh, i’ll remember” HAHAHAHAHA

Write it down 😊

Probably a lot more than we would want to admit too.;).
I'm terrible for writing stuff down, don't even know what's in my jars half the time lol
'Jeez, wtf did you put in that?'
'Think it's Chocolate Skunk...could be Northern Lights though...or maybe last year's Jack Herer...but it tastes a bit like the Lemon Kush... or maybe you got a bit of the Green Crack? To be honest, fucked if I know' :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom