pH, EC, PPM: Do I need these on soil?

buldoz3r

Hi guys,

I will use soil(Plagron Light Mix). Can I grow without EC meter? What is the benefit of measuring EC? Can't I get a good harvest if I don't measure it?
As far as I have learned so far, measuring EC in the soil did not give the correct result, because it is live. Is that correct? But my friend says you can't get a good harvest without learning to measure EC.
What is your opinion? I would be very happy if you write it in simple language.

Tap water has around 7 pH. Do I have to adjust this pH? I have basic liquid test kit. What is the best pH for this soil?

If you were growing in a true soil mix then you only have to be concerned about the pH of the water when it is being applied. Since you mention that you will be using Plagron Light Mix you have to remember that you are not growing in soil. Plagron Light Mix is a mix of different Peat Moss and there is no mention of any mineral soil being used. Essentially, you will have to plan on growing as if it was a hydro set-up.

It might look like a soil mix because of the color and it might feel like a soil mix because the texture looks like a loose & fluffy soil mix but it is not soil. This comes up a lot in discussions here when people start to have problems with the leaves and growth patterns of their plants when they are using Plagron Light Mix.

If you want to use the Plagron Light Mix then plan on researching as much as you can on hydro methods of watering and fertilizing.

As far as I can figure out the EC and PPM numbers are important for hydroponic growing methods. Yes, in soil the microorganisms will be constantly changing those numbers. That is also why measuring the water that might flow out of the bottom of a container of soil will not be accurate.

Will you be using the plagron nutrients too? They have an online feeding schedule calculator. Put in all the details of what you're using and it makes a custom schedule for you. That says pH 5.5-6.5.

If you were growing in a true soil mix then you only have to be concerned about the pH of the water when it is being applied. Since you mention that you will be using Plagron Light Mix you have to remember that you are not growing in soil. Plagron Light Mix is a mix of different Peat Moss and there is no mention of any mineral soil being used. Essentially, you will have to plan on growing as if it was a hydro set-up.

It might look like a soil mix because of the color and it might feel like a soil mix because the texture looks like a loose & fluffy soil mix but it is not soil. This comes up a lot in discussions here when people start to have problems with the leaves and growth patterns of their plants when they are using Plagron Light Mix.

If you want to use the Plagron Light Mix then plan on researching as much as you can on hydro methods of watering and fertilizing.

As far as I can figure out the EC and PPM numbers are important for hydroponic growing methods. Yes, in soil the microorganisms will be constantly changing those numbers. That is also why measuring the water that might flow out of the bottom of a container of soil will not be accurate.
Well, I'm about to buy growing media and I didn't know that is not actually soil. Light mix out of stocks also.

I have access to:
Biobizz Light / All Mix
Plagron Bat / All Mix
Canna Terra Pro. / Terra Plus /
General Hydroponic Terra Aquatica

All of the above is same? Which one would you prefer for newbie grower?
I don't have EC meter can't measure it right now but I can do pH - That's all.

Will you be using the plagron nutrients too? They have an online feeding schedule calculator. Put in all the details of what you're using and it makes a custom schedule for you. That says pH 5.5-6.5.
I have General Hydroponics Micro Gro Bloom and Cal Mag. I was thinking about below feeding schedule with Light Mix but unfortunately its out of stocks - will need another brand.
General-Hydroponics-Flora-Series-Soil.jpg

Sorry for the slow reply. I use biobizz light mix and have mega crop for nutrients. As for flushing I think if you're watering to 10-20% run off then there's no need to flush unless you have a problem that requires it. Some nutrients require it more than others.

Back
Top Bottom