Please help 16 day old seedling is dying

Re: Please help 16 day old seedling is dying.

You're not the first grower to have problems, and you won't be the last. There are a lot of specific things Cannabis needs. But at the same time, there's a fairly wide band within the range of what it needs, so there's more than one way to skin this cat.

Just stay on top of things. If your PH is at 8, I would suggest getting your hands on PH lowering product specifically made for gardening. In the mean time, you can mix a little lemon juice with your water to correct the PH until you get the PH lowering product. (I use PH down from General Hydroponics)

Thank you all with your help this has been and amazing learning experience so far. I am hoping my Auto Berry Bomb pulls through she's still growing but all new growth is coming in purple, all I can do is wait on her to rebound and as far as the newly planted Auto NYC Diesel she has sprouted this morning and looks healthy and green and I am going to care for her like my own children.

Also I took your advice Antics and picked up some PH Down so i can be positive that I am maintaing a proper PH.

I love my PH Down. That stuff works great for keeping my water, nutes, and soil where they need to be.

Be patient and don't over water the plant with the purpling leaves. By any chance, were there any times where there was a big temperature difference from night to day? This could also contribute to purpling leaves.

I am not a proponent of CFL, but admit I've seen some impressive CFL grows. The trick is yellowing of leaves typically signifies either not enough light or not enough N. Since you're in the very early stages and using bag soil + FF (which I hope you're not adding nutes yet), I'd guess it's a light issue. Problem is going to be finding the sweet spot where lights are close enough without burning leaves - i'd guess somewhere within 4" is where you need to be.

I am not a proponent of CFL, but admit I've seen some impressive CFL grows. The trick is yellowing of leaves typically signifies either not enough light or not enough N. Since you're in the very early stages and using bag soil + FF (which I hope you're not adding nutes yet), I'd guess it's a light issue. Problem is going to be finding the sweet spot where lights are close enough without burning leaves - i'd guess somewhere within 4" is where you need to be.

Nope I have not added Any FF Nutes yet and I do not plan todo so until at least week 3, And yes lights honestly could be the problem so I have been adjusting them to make sure the plants are in the optimal location.

I know there is a little food in the bag,very little.I am leaning to she is hungry,that purpling on the leaves,is a defiecnecy/lockout.boron/molybdenum I think(can confirm when i get home) some purpling can be genetic,I find when they are this small,its usually short on P.
I just dealt with something similar,added 100ppm of food,proper ph and cleared right up.

and I agree with the poster about the fungus gnats,couple of bags of this had me fighting them for a while
I had to put a stove out in the garage,wife didn't like the house smelling up.

have fun man,and remember,its just a weed,it takes some doing to kill them,usually its to much kindness

phampnutrients1_zps548f1c82.jpg

I love my PH Down. That stuff works great for keeping my water, nutes, and soil where they need to be.

Be patient and don't over water the plant with the purpling leaves. By any chance, were there any times where there was a big temperature difference from night to day? This could also contribute to purpling leaves.

Sorry I did not see this post earlier when I replied to the thread Antics, The temps have been maintained at 75-80 degrees with lights on or off so I do not believe the purpling is from the temps I am swaying towards a phosphorus deficiency

Also I have not watered yet since the first watering after transplant because I am being very cautious. I will probably give it a few more days before the second watering.

I know there is a little food in the bag,very little.I am leaning to she is hungry,that purpling on the leaves,is a defiecnecy/lockout.boron/molybdenum I think(can confirm when i get home) some purpling can be genetic,I find when they are this small,its usually short on P.
I just dealt with something similar,added 100ppm of food,proper ph and cleared right up.

and I agree with the poster about the fungus gnats,couple of bags of this had me fighting them for a while
I had to put a stove out in the garage,wife didn't like the house smelling up.

have fun man,and remember,its just a weed,it takes some doing to kill them,usually its to much kindness

phampnutrients1_zps548f1c82.jpg

Wow thank you for taking the time to post all that info, I will try and commit this all to memory, my PH is maintained as of now before I made changes it was way off around 8 to 8.5 or maybe even higher but now I only water at 6.5 PH and I have made it a hobby to check before every watering.

As far as the plant that is close to death and showing deep purple on her leaves I may take your advice and add a very very light dose of Fox Farm Big Bloom to her next time I water her because she needs something at the rate she is progressing. Im having my wife pick up a new gallon sized container so I can mix a separate container of PH'd water and Nutes.

Also thank you to everyone in this community you are all very welcoming and easy going, I just got out of the military and have always wanted to grow my own plant it has been 9 years since I have smoked Marijuana and me and my wife decided if we are going to smoke we are going to do it right and grow our own so we can experience seeing something put in the earth and grow into a full fledged plant and then harvest it, Its been my dream for years to actually be able to do my own grow and who would of known it was such hard work!

But also an amazing learning experience.

no sweat man,but remember, all we give is opinion.what is working for us,may not work in your garden.

are you getting enough water to get a runoff reading?? the runoff ph will tell you the condition of the soil,and it is just as important as the water going in.

dont sweat the small issues it will drive you crazy,I find that as long as the lights are on,well feed,PH/PPM correct and bug free,these babys will grow.

Thank you my friend, for you're service. GREATLY APPRECIATED:thanks::bravo::volcano-smiley:

Ok update 9-21-14

My (Auto Berry Bomb) or as I like to call her Jolene is doing worse, better, IDK honestly how shes doing shes like nothing ive ever seen before and it blows my mind.

Very pale yellow leaves but they are not hard and crispy as they look they still feel soft and plant like, and the new growth is strange also it appears to come in very light green but healthy looking and as it grows out what very little growth it does make it turns purple.

Temp in Grow room is 80 degrees to 85 and the humidity is at 50%

photo_15.PNG
photo_2_2_.PNG
photo_4_2_.PNG
photo_52.PNG

My other lady the (Auto NYC Diesel) or what I call Eve is 2 days old!!! She sprouted yesterday and looks great ive actually watched her grow she is a nice dark green and I have been counting her ridges to make sure she is growing.

The only strange thing about here is that her Cotyledon leaves have not yet raised to the light they are drooped down or curled down you might say. And she sprouted with a dark stem, But I am not to worried about her because she is still just brand new and she has been started off much better than Jolene, with proper PH'ed water and a better soil mixture so hopefully she does not have any of the same problems as Jolene.

photo_43.PNG
photo_31.PNG
photo_23.PNG
photo_1541.JPG

Eve,is looking fine,no sweat if the little leaves are not reaching for the sky,yet

the first unhappy camper.
what is the ph of the run off water?? are you getting a good 20%? In those size of cups I water once a week,but always YOU be the judge of when it needs water,feel it after a good watering and then judge by feel(weight) and soil dryness.

man,I just looked at the little reflector/hood that your lights are in,I stopped using those,it was way more than 80 degrees under mine
But yours maybe different.

Ok just got home today and took a look at the plants

Eve (NYC) looks great her stem has straightened up more and she's still a lush green.

Jolene (Berry Bomb) is definitely unhappy still but I have high hopes for her I could not check the PH of the run off water just yet because their second watering wont be until Thursday but I will make sure I check that PH level and report back.

Also Im not sure if maybe the root of mine and your problems this whole time has been the Vigoro Organic soil.

I dont think the soil is the issue. It might not be as scientific as some of the special purpose soils from grow shops but it is working. The trick was getting it to drain better and the perlite did that pretty well. I am going to continue using it for now at least until I run out. I have two 5 gallon buckets full of sterilized soil. (No more fungus gnats! never again!!) Ive also been experimenting with growing in rockwool and I am liking that too. Its even lower maintenance so far.

I dont think im going to get super high yields out of my first grow but that is to be expected for the first time around. All I am looking for is enough for myself and my friends so we can stop visiting the fools that sell this stuff for profit.

Ok time for a update but first,

Thank you Antics for the support and thank you SativaCat I will definitely continue to use this soil but like you said keep it well aerated with lots of perlite and maybe one day I can set up a HydroGrow room and start something perpetual. Im not hopping for amazing yields just enough for me and my wife to last us atleast a month or 2.

Jolene (Berry Bomb) she seems to be growing very slowly and I mean very slow but that shows me there is hope I will be watering her on Thursday as long as she seems to be dry enough because right now she is still moist.
photo_32.PNG

Eve (Auto NYC) she is doing great still growing strong everyday I check on her she has stem growth and is showing more ridges on her first set of leaves, I also think I see what might be the start of her second set growing from the middle so that's very exciting. She has also not been watered yet she is still moist and if she dries out she will get watered Thursday.
photo_2476.JPG
photo_1543.JPG

Ok update for everyone I just went ahead and watered both of my girls with fresh water PH'ed at 6.5 and let about 10% run off, I measured the PH of the run off water and it was a little weird It was 6.9-7.1 only reason I think the PH was that high was because the first time I watered I didn't have PH down so I used some distilled white vinegar to lower the PH and maybe over time it stabilized back to 7.0 in the soil.

I will not be sure until I water again next week and measure the run off.

If it is still around 7.0 should I adjust the PH of my water lower to compensate for the change?

I hope that everyone realizes that PH up and down have nutes in them. Check your PPM before and after using either product and you'll see what I mean. Care should be exercised since I've seen it happen where someone added PH up, decided it was too high so added some PH down and so on. Not GOOD for your seedlings folks.

Ok time for another update, and great news!

Jolene (Berry Bomb) has been showing new growth I counted 5 total new leaves they are the green tiny leaves that are under the purpled leaves in the picture they were not there before but now they are, I even second guessed my self when I first saw them lol. There are also some new leaves coming out of the middle the tiny green dots, I really hope that she continues improving.

photo_33.PNG
photo_44.PNG

Eve (Auto NYC) is still doing great she has been progressing and shows two new leaves coming in right from the middle and they are growing so fast I can literally watch them grow.
photo_24.PNG
photo_16.PNG

Thank you everyone for the help so far, I could not have done this without you all.

dude, if this is 27 days old, it's unlikely to do well, and is just taking up grow space; it's still a seedling after a month when many people have already flipped to flower - don't mean to sound harsh, but sometimes it's best to cut your losses and start over - you could ba back to the stage it's at now in a week if you follow the advice you've been given :Namaste:

photo_33.PNG

Back
Top Bottom