Post Your Polyploids

my experience with a few of these buds,, a ton o leaf, and not much bud. looking at them one can picture the 'ton of leaf' part,, indeed

sure fun to grow tho,, :volcano-smiley:

I know, still a lot of talk about polyploidy but the only place cannabis has shown polyploidy is in a laboratory. It’s caused by applying the chemical Colchicine. It’s not passed on to offspring. Monsanto has Colchicine treated corn seed that they push. Farmers can’t make their own corn seed and have to buy it from Monsanto every year.

Theres more to this

From skunkman on making polyploids...

First of all, triploids are not sterile, that is for sure. I have made many, all set seed.

Second did you confirm with a plant cytology lab that all the plant cells, roots, shoots and flowers were 100% tetraploid or triploid or whatever? You need to check all plant parts.
We found mixes of ploidy, Aneuploids, in many Tetraploids made from Diploids or with Tetraploids bred to Diploids to make Triploids. You need to have ploidy confirmed by a lab that tests all parts of the plant, roots stems, leaves, flowers.
I did find Triploids that seemed a little better as well as Triploids that seemed a little or a lot worse. To me it is not a magical path to quality, but it was fun to try.
The easy way to make Triploids is to make a Tetraploid of a great Diploid male and use the Tetraploid version to hit great female Diploid clones, all the resulting seed will be Triploid.
I have never tried to take female Tetraploid clones and STS'ed them to make pollen that could be used to make all female Triploids. Try it and let me know what happens, I don't want to do this but am curious what would happen.

-SamS”

@ducknaldo looks like celery!
@Pennywise I don't think people are picking up that these are not polyploids:bongrip:

here's 2 trifoliates that i just found in seeds. 1 is from Red Lazerlite2 and the other is VitalityF3....

1.jpg
2.jpg

Why do you say its trifoliate and not Polyploidy? There is polyploidy in all plant species. Its how they mutate and its part of the genetics. Even hoo-man can do it but rarely survivable.
There are many many examples of hoo-man taking advantage of polyploidy to create a new plant that performs better and yields more.

Wheat is one so is barley. These were made by hoo-man before there was the science and laboratories to do this same work.

It's called mutation breeding or variation breeding. We do this all the time.

Here's a read on it. Polyploid plants are a thing in nature. This is how we went from a few species of plants to the many we have and have had in the past. How did people get from a worm to a person? If it was natural selection we would still be worms. Mutations play a big roll in how species evolve.

Triploidy - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

From skunkman on making polyploids...

First of all, triploids are not sterile, that is for sure. I have made many, all set seed.

Second did you confirm with a plant cytology lab that all the plant cells, roots, shoots and flowers were 100% tetraploid or triploid or whatever? You need to check all plant parts.
We found mixes of ploidy, Aneuploids, in many Tetraploids made from Diploids or with Tetraploids bred to Diploids to make Triploids. You need to have ploidy confirmed by a lab that tests all parts of the plant, roots stems, leaves, flowers.
I did find Triploids that seemed a little better as well as Triploids that seemed a little or a lot worse. To me it is not a magical path to quality, but it was fun to try.
The easy way to make Triploids is to make a Tetraploid of a great Diploid male and use the Tetraploid version to hit great female Diploid clones, all the resulting seed will be Triploid.
I have never tried to take female Tetraploid clones and STS'ed them to make pollen that could be used to make all female Triploids. Try it and let me know what happens, I don't want to do this but am curious what would happen.

-SamS”

We have done both with reversal and cross pollination. The results can vary. I'm not a genetics expert but I've done some work with polyploid reproduction and cloning. With some very interesting result. I'm running plants now from the results.

Why do you say its trifoliate and not Polyploidy? There is polyploidy in all plant species. Its how they mutate and its part of the genetics. Even hoo-man can do it but rarely survivable.

hi @bobrown14 I'm aware of polyploids and their uses. All I am trying to say is a trifoliate plant or a fasciated plant is NOT necessarily a polyploid.

Polyploids are not visually identified by whorled phyllotaxy. You need to check it out with a microscope to identify.

I'm not particularly interested in this at all, I just repeatedly see people incorrectly saying that a fasciated plant or whorled plant is a polyploid.

It seems like the end game is to make a sterile weed line that doesn't produce seeds... like those mass produced crappy seedless melons. Not something i want anything to do with.

Are you working with polyploid cannabis right now? How did you identify it?

If those 2 trifoliates I have are male/female... then I plan am breeding them. It's just an aesthetic thing, I don't think it has any positive or negative effect on growth or yield. As far as fasciation, i think it's a negative trait to be culled.

hi @bobrown14 I'm aware of polyploids and their uses. All I am trying to say is a trifoliate plant or a fasciated plant is NOT necessarily a polyploid.

Polyploids are not visually identified by whorled phyllotaxy. You need to check it out with a microscope to identify.

I'm not particularly interested in this at all, I just repeatedly see people incorrectly saying that a fasciated plant or whorled plant is a polyploid.

It seems like the end game is to make a sterile weed line that doesn't produce seeds... like those mass produced crappy seedless melons. Not something i want anything to do with.

Are you working with polyploid cannabis right now? How did you identify it?

If those 2 trifoliates I have are male/female... then I plan am breeding them. It's just an aesthetic thing, I don't think it has any positive or negative effect on growth or yield. As far as fasciation, i think it's a negative trait to be culled.

Well I'll start off with this.

You mention trifoiliate. This is confusing to me in that I always thought trifoiliate leaves were 3 leaflets to a petiole like this:

blade4.gif

That said I'll move on the polytaxy. Some plants that exibit this trait I always thought "CAN" be polyploid. Not all are but some are. Meaning several (more than 3) complete sets of chromosomes exist in the plant dna/rna.

The plant you posted pics of with 3 sets of tru leaves at the same inter-node is what I consider a tri-ploid from my research. This is what I have been working with lately. Probably a few years now. I posted my first plant that I started working with here in this thread.

In the plant world polyploidism isn't sterile that is in the animal world where that exists from my studies.

Its reproducible but is a recessive trait and that is my experience as well.

The polyploid plants exibit other factors of growth. Since these plants have 50% more leaves they get 50% more nutrition from lighting. This causes the plant to have a higher metabolism. I've had plants finish in 30 days of flowering. You can see how that wood be a positive economically.

So I bred and selected for metabolism. Some plants now retain that fast finish time but I've also selected for yields. Not keeping runts. Many of these triploid plants will be very small low yield high thc plants.

I'm running some crosses now with the triploid plant crossed with something else that also has high THC.

I've ran several crosses and was successful with a faster than normal finish 40-45 days with a decent yield and good quality weed. Now testing this out to see if I can get the fast finisher to finish outside before the weather goes south for the winter. Also testing more indoors as well.

hey @bobrown14 you're totally right about the trifoliate meaning 3 leaves per petiole.
I've been using that term incorrectly for awhile.
I should just say whorled phyllotaxy for the plants with 3 leaves coming out of the nodes. I still don't think that means it's a triploid like the common banana.
There's a guy that did a long breeding project with plants like mine. I'll see if I can find it.

here's the thread... I followed it for awhile, he was getting tris and quads in the line.

Billy Buds conducted a lot of studies using Colchicine. But he only produced 1 or 2 polyploids out of every 1000 seeds he treated. The colchicine would kill the seeds during treatment. The few he did create were sterile and incapable of reproducing.

Hi guys and girls... I've got a Polyploid at the moment and the information I can find online is varied. Alot of things about this mutation appear positive but watching it grow I honestly feel its leaching the majority of food and energy from the rest of the sites. I've got two Super Silver sude by side, one is Polyploid and not the other and the difference in over plant bud formation is mad. Funny thing is the Polyploid branch is the first one up the stem and the shortest. 1st point of call? I've got 6 weeks left... I've decided to remove the branch and hope it'll bypass after healing... did anyone else experience a similar effect? ❤✌

It's likely that none of the plants pictured in this thread are polyploid organisms.

Back
Top Bottom