Problem with the flowering stage

cronsrus

I'm new to growing and new to this site.I have 16 plants that are 6"-8" high and look great.I defoliated the leaves a week into the flowering stage.They have been in the flowering stage 12/12 for 3 weeks now and it seems that they are not flowering yet because i cant tell the sex.My question is SHOULDN'T I TELL BY NOW WHAT SEX THEY ARE?I thought it should only take 1-2 weeks to tell the sex.WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE?Any help would be great.Thanks

SOIL-PRO MIX=COMPONITES=(LIMESTONE)(CANADIAN SPHAGNUM PEAT MOSS)(PERLITE)
POTS=(CHILL ZONE CUPS)(FROM CUMBERLAIN FARMS)
(6)=60W 2700K SOFT WHITE 900 LUMENS(LIGHT BULBS)
(PLANTS)6"-8" HIGH

Hey and welcome to :420:
I'm new myself so I am just giving my opinion. Trimming and defoliation in flower is a long debate, and if I remember correctly from what I've read, it can cause the plant to go in shock and first recover the lost leafs rather then flower. Also how old are your plants? maybe they weren't sexually ready to flower when you've switched; they won't sex until they will be ready too.
As far as I've seen in the short time here people love pictures so if u can add one perhaps somebody can tell the issue better then myself.
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos
:peace:

I cant add photos because i dont have a camera.The plants were in the veg stage for 3 months.Full 24 hr light until i switched them over to 12/12 flowering stage.It's been 3 weeks now in the flowering stage.So if i read this correctly,maybe it's because the plants need to recover from defoliation before it can begin to flower?

How much leaves did you remove? Leaves play a central part in the flowering of plants. They are like energy absorbers from the lights that you have. If you take out too many leaves that would be bad and yes, may delay budding for the plant to recover from the stress caused by losing too many leaves.

Yes they do need to recover after defoliation if you removed many leafs at once, because any stress can delay them.
Concerning your lights, are those 60 watts equivalent to incandescent or are they actual watts? because 900 lumens seems low for 60 actual watts. Look over this great post about lighting The Basics Of Plant Lighting it helped me a lot.
I don't know if 5400 lumens is enough to cover 16 plants, but don't take my word for it, I am still a beginner, or if that can cause the delay.

Am I the only one that thinks it is strange that these plants have been vegging for three months and they are only 6-8 inches tall! If that is the case then I would say that you have a problem with enough lighting or something.

I left the plants in the veg stage for that long because i wanted bushes not trees.They are about 8" high but have 9-10 sprout outs from the bottom to the top of the plant.I now theres a name for it,but i dont now it.From what everyone is saying i believe the answer is,I TOOK TO MANY LEAVES OFF AT ONCE,when i did the defoliation.HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO RECOVER AFTER DEFOLIATION?My plants look great and healthy.I wish i could post some pictures but i dont have a camera.Also i was wondering WHAT IS THE BEST THING TO BUY FOR THEM FOR FOOD?Some ideas would be great.

LIGHTS-GREENLITE 60W REPLACEMENT USING ONLY 13W(USING 6)SHOULD I USE MORE?

Going 24hr lights on to 12/12 sounds like plant is root building due to no rest in veg + defoliating she needs recovery time relax keep her fed and let the plant recover

Its most likely down to the light u are using. it wont be putting out a great deal of energy, so if u have defoliated the plant wont have the resources to recover quickly. defoliation is excellent way to boost yield and open up the plant to more light but it needs to be done correctly, its not a beginner technique.

Going 24hours to 12/12 wont affect the speed the plant shows flower. If u have been vegging 3 months roots should be well established regardless of 24hour lighting.

Im pretty certain ur issue is not enough light and defoling plants that are small and probably weak. 3 months veg to get 6-8" plants means environment is completely wrong mate.

From what people are saying is just let them recover and everything will be fine.I hope that is all i need to do.I have put in alot of time on these.It also sounds like i should add some more lights too.I will buy a couple more adaptors.That will allow me to add 2 more light bulbs to my set up.I live in a town were there isn't alot of plant stores around.So i'm not sure what to feed them.Does anyone now if these stores carry anything i can feed them?

Lowes
Walmart
Shaw's hardware
Tractor supply co
Hanoford
Shaws

I want to thank everyone who has offered there advise and help on this matter.Anything people can say to help me is greatly appreciated.

you got great advice so far,

now i use both defol method and not defol, now if you defol its best to defo in veg then after day 21 of 12-12, if you defol early in flower it stops the stretch period and will take longer to start flowering,

you nee to try and get the lighting sorted out because you will really struggle without it, i veg for about 6 to 8 weeks and my plants are between 1 and 2ft and most are showing sex even before i flip 12-12, i dont normally flip 12-12 until my plants have shown sex

plants will only show sex when fully mature so even if you go 12-12 from seed they wont show sex or start flowering until about week 6 from seed,
what size pots are the plant in, it sounds like the growth has been really slow, could you be over watering at all, over watering drastically stunts growth as the roots cant take in the nutrients they need,

Your plants have been light starved with only 6x 900 lumens for 16 plants. The reason for your slow growth and lack of flowering is due to 2 causes
1) not enough light. If you are going to stick with Compact Florescent Light bulbs you will need 2x 1400 lumen (minimum) per plant with socket Y adapters to sufficiently iluminate them. If you want to stick with Compact Florescent Light bulbs you need 23-26 watt actual power bulbs. With the costs of the upgrades you will require you will be better off with either a LED light panel or a High Intensity Discharge light ballast that uses a Metal Halide light bulb for vegetative growth and a High Pressure Sodium light bulb for flowering.

2) defoliating too early in flower has stunted your plants. Defoliation is done in flowering at days 21-25 when the stretch phase has ended and again at day 45 if needed.

defoliating too early in flower has stunted your plants. Defoliation is doen in flowering at days 21-25 when the stretch phase has ended and again at day 45 if needed.

Not necessarily mate but thats a good guideline. I think we can agree light or lack thereof is the main issue here. Def need to get some watts pumping. id be gutted if my plants were 8 inches after 8 weeks. They should be growing an inch or more a day not per week.

Back
Top Bottom