Product of Years of Breeding Bagseed

WMDmountainIG

I have been debating starting a journal for some time and I have decided to finally start one. I have over 20 years of growing experience and this journal is about a small grow using seeds I have bred over the years from what you would call bagseed.This is my second grow using CFL's and I am very pleased with the results. I am growing them in my own blend of organic soil consisting of Coir, composted forest humus, earthworm castings and mycorrhizae mixed 50/50 with coarse perlite. I germinated the seeds on 05/27/10 and grew them vegetative until 07/12/10 when I cut the lights to 12/12. Six days later on 07/17/10 I was able to remove the males, I got 12 females from 16 plants. This is a picture of them the day the males were removed...
001446.JPG
...I only water them when the containers go completely dry. I water using a very dilute liquid organic formula. For the vegetative phase I use Neptunes Harvest 2-3-1 and Maxicrop liquid seaweed, I also use 1 drop of SuperThrive to every watering. My soil maintains a constant ph level of 6.5 which seems to work out very well, I have never had a problem with ph....
005403.JPG
...This was a photo taken on 07/29/10 , 13 days of flowering...
008331.JPG
...This one was taken 08/05/10 at 20 days of flowering...During the flowering phase I water with a diluted solution of Earth Juice products, Earth Juice Bloom, Earth Juice Catalyst, Earth Juice Microblast , 1 drop of SuperThrive and Blackstrap Molasses, I use it at every watering....
008341.JPG
...This photo was taken 08/17/10 at 32 days of flowering. As you can see the plants seem robust and happy and get along very well with that feeding schedule. Here they are on 08/23/10 at 38 days of flowering...
03950.JPG
...and finally here they are on 09/02/10 at 48 days of flowering...
05520.JPG
05916.JPG
05621.JPG
06215.JPG
05815.JPG
06413.JPG
...I am still watching them and they have at least a few more weeks to go. I am in no hurry and good things come to those who wait. And a quote from Aristotle " Patience is bitter, but it's fruit is sweet". In my opinion that is very fitting in this matter. I have grown hydro and I like what it can do but as I am growing medicine for myself to fight chronic pain I prefer the organic soil grown product for it's very pleasing taste. I can't say for sure what I am growing but I am sure that it is a Sativa dominant strain that has been crossed with a few Indicas over the years. At any rate it is a very potent strain, or I should say strains because there is a couple of different strains growing there. They are all fairly stable and it just goes to show you what you can do with patience and selective breeding. I enjoy the new strains that are coming onto the market but there is just something very pleasing with ending up with something you know that you have truly created. I will keep you posted on the outcome of this crop and I hope you have enjoyed what you have seen and read.I can go on and on about different methods and techniques but I will save that for another time. Thanks for listening and I will appreciate any input that anyone would like to give...:roorrip:

WMD,

As I said in the other thread, you are doing a great job with bagseed. That is all I have tried for two reasons. 1) I am scared shitless of getting seeds online and 2) why should I when I have seeds at my disposal already. This is my third grow and I am about one month away from harvest now. I have taken small steps every grow trying to make my grow better. Next year, will be learning to top and possibly breeding. You are an inspiration to me.

Thnks,
g

WMD,

As I said in the other thread, you are doing a great job with bagseed. That is all I have tried for two reasons. 1) I am scared shitless of ordering seeds online and 2) why should I when I have seeds at my disposal already. This is my third grow and I am about one month away from harvest now. I have taken small steps every grow trying to make my grow better. Next year, will be learning to top and possibly breeding. You are an inspiration to me.

Thnks,
g

Thank you for your interest in my grow, I agree with you, ordering seeds is risky and you already have seeds at your disposal. As long as the seed comes from good product you will do fine with it. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them for you...With that said good luck on your grow, I wish you all the best...:roorrip:

Thank you for your interest in my grow, I agree with you, ordering seeds is risky and you already have seeds at your disposal. As long as the seed comes from good product you will do fine with it. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them for you...With that said good luck on your grow, I wish you all the best...:roorrip:

Great topic! Growing bagseed weed is something I have been doing for a couple of years now. Had really good luck so far, so this will be a fun topic for me to follow. I am about to go through my seed collection and pick out some good looking seeds to start a new plant for my Phototron.

A beautiful CFL grow you got going there WMD. I love those one big cola plants. They really do seem to love the nutrients, very little leaf burn and excellent flowers. Looking forward to the continuation.

I don't have any new pictures yet but I have made some upgrades to the room.I was using two 85 watt CFL's , one bright white, one warm white each one is equivalent to 350 watts. I was using one 45 watt bright white equivalent to 200 watt, and I was using three 65 watt warm white with each being equivalent to 300 watts a total of six lights in a 48" x 40" room. I just switched out the 45 watt bright white for another 65 watt warm white equivalent to 300 watts. I also added four 26 watt CFL bright white bulbs with each being equivalent to 100 watts each. That now brings me to a total of two 85 watt CFL's equal to 350 watts each, one bright white and one warm white with each producing 4,200 lumens. Four 65 watt warm white equal to 300 watts each and each producing 3,900 lumens. Four 26 watt bright white CFL's each equal to 100 watts producing 1,600 lumens each. That puts me at 30,400 lumens total for the entire room. I am running the 26 watt bulbs two to a fixture and I am keeping the bright whites and warm whites spaced properly to give the room an even blend of light. The warm whites are supposed to be for flowering. The bright whites are supposed to be for vegetative. Given my experience with them I believe a good combination of the two lead to better and tighter flower production and it also seems that the plants develop better trichome production. Even with that amount of light i am able to keep the lights at about 4 inches above the canopy of the plants and the plants love it....:roorrip:

I also wanted to add that I use a good ventilation system pulling the air out of the room to the outside and pulling fresh air in from the outside. I have been maintaining a constant daytime temp of 80 degrees F. and a night temp of 70 degrees F. I also use a good filtering system to keep all of the bad elements out...:roorrip:

Hi everyone, just wanted to give everyone that is following this journal another update. My grow is continuing to evolve and I am turning it into a perpetual harvest setup. As you know I am growing seeds that I bred myself and right at the moment I have four different and very distinctive strains going. I do not have anymore pictures to post at this time but new ones will be coming soon. The main change that I am in the progress of making is a cloning and vegetative room that I have under construction. I have a separate area now that I can use for vegetative growth but I am refining it and adding the cloning station to it. The perpetual harvest is going to work out great because of the different variances in flowering time of the strains I already have growing. The flowering room will hold twelve nice plants, I don't veg my plants for very long at all and they pretty much go straight into flowering, these plants have had the longest vegetative cycle of any that will be going into the flowering room in the future. I will dial in my vegetative cycle for each strain as I progress. Out of the four strains that I have growing the earliest ones are mature at eight weeks and out of personal preference I harvest when the trichomes are at about 80% amber with 20% cloudy, this seems to put my medicine at its optimum level for alleviating chronic pain and that is my purpose for producing it. The next strain to follow finishes at ten weeks and I go by the same standard for determining maturity, I use that standard for all of the strains. The next strain to go is done at twelve weeks and the remaining strain finishes at sixteen weeks. So as you can see the diversity of those time frames has me removing plants and freeing up space over a nice variable of time. I am currently growing three plants of each strain and the earlier strains are getting very close to harvest time. I watch each plant and I only harvest when they are completely mature to my satisfaction, at the moment it looks like I am going to be adding at least an extra week onto the earliest strain because they are still going strong and I can't complain about that. I didn't plan on doing a perpetual harvest when I started the grow but since then I have decided to just go with it and the variable of plants caused it to work out perfectly. I currently also have twelve seedlings that are thirteen days from the time they cracked their shell and they are coming along beautifully, I will get some pics of them up soon also. Out of them I am going to clone each one of them and label them so that I can get rid of the male clones once I flower the seedlings and also so that I can identify each clone from the plant that it came from and be able to get more clones from them thus allowing me to pick out the best phenotypes of the lot. This will allow me to keep a fresh supply of female plants going and perhaps pick out a nice mother plant or two to work with, I will decide later on whether or not I will use them for mothers as I have a very large seed collection to choose from and I like to grow a variety at all times. Either way having the cloning station will allow me to have a constant supply of fresh plants and allow me to keep the best ones going at all times. Like I said the grow is evolving and I am sure that it is going to get very interesting before I'm done. Another change that I will eventually be making is a change to the growing medium, I am going to keep it organic but I am going to move more to a mix of expanded clay pellets and something such as pea gravel, haven't really made up my mind on that yet but the plan in general is to come up with a very quick draining highly aerated mix and incorporate drain table that will hold all of the plants and allow the runoff to drain into a collection bucket and be disposed of. I will still be watering by hand but it will give me more control over how much moisture the buckets are retaining and give me a faster rate of growth because I will have more control over what the plants are taking up, kind of like a combination of container growing and hydroponics without the maintenance of pumps and reservoirs....Well that is all for now but I will be keeping this updated regularly so you will be able to keep an eye on the evolution of this project...:roorrip:

FINALLY
found your thread....lol...im writting this to sub me to it so i get notified when you do updates....thanks for all the kind comments you have posted to my journal....yes it is hard to open up to peeps when we have been taught for a zillion years to keep our mouths shut....

everything looks very nice here...havent had time to go all the way thru it yet, but will....take care, im off to find the bagseed thread now...L

whoops, sorry, i had them mixed up...was looking at the others also....

Well I have another update for anyone who is following this journal, first here are some fresh pictures of the plants at 58 days of flowering...
010302.JPG
009314.JPG
008348.JPG
007359.JPG
006372.JPG
005422.JPG
004445.JPG
003470.JPG
06413.JPG
...Some of these are about due for harvest and I am watching them very close, 3 of them should be ready within the week. Upon harvest I will update with pictures and the wet weight and dry weight of each plant. I dry my plants on a screen rack and then when they are dry enough they go into glass jars for the final cure. I also have pictures of the next round to go into the room. I germinate them in paper towels then transfer them into cups until they are ready to go into pots, they are 15 days since they cracked their shell and they are already on their third set of leaves. For some reason it wouldn't upload the pics of the seedlings so as soon as I figure it out they will be up.Other than that everything is going great and according to plan...:roorrip:

Well I have another update for anyone who is following this journal, first here are some fresh pictures of the plants at 58 days of flowering ...Some of these are about due for harvest and I am watching them very close, 3 of them should be ready within the week. Upon harvest I will update with pictures and the wet weight and dry weight of each plant. I dry my plants on a screen rack and then when they are dry enough they go into glass jars for the final cure. I also have pictures of the next round to go into the room. I germinate them in paper towels then transfer them into cups until they are ready to go into pots, they are 15 days since they cracked their shell and they are already on their third set of leaves. For some reason it wouldn't upload the pics of the seedlings so as soon as I figure it out they will be up.Other than that everything is going great and according to plan...:roorrip:

wow, those are great pics....isnt waiting hard? i love sour diesel, and i have a girl who stops getting food and gets clearex'd tomorrow, then she'll probably do two weeks of fattening....hard to wait...but worth it...L
great job...:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Plants are still doing great and I am busy making the changes I was talking about and still constructing some of the things that have to be constructed to get the next phase of this grow off the ground. I harvested one plant, still watching the rest. The one I harvested was one of the runts, a Sativa dominant strain , I took it a little early more or less to just get it out of the way because it just wasn't growing the way I wanted it to and I wanted to give my attention to the rest of my girls. It weighed 32.6 grams wet and I ended up with 19.2 grams dry...
002499.JPG
001472.JPG
...it wasn't bad for the runt considering how stubborn it has been throughout the whole grow. Those were the dry pictures right before it went into it's glass jar to sit and cure for awhile. Even though it was early it had a really nice smell to it and it should cure to be really smooth to smoke, like I said not mature to my liking but very good smoke to say the least. Tried to post my seedling pics again but it told me that the picture exceeded file size but the pic was the same as the rest that I took and they loaded fine. Looks like I will just take a new batch before they get much bigger and load them...:roorrip:

The next batch for now 20 days since they cracked their shell...
004448.JPG
...not a very good picture but I will post some better ones when I get more time...:roorrip:

I am about to start a new plant in my phototron from the bag seed I have saved. Maybe I missed it, but what is the optimum time you think to switch from veg to flower? You say you hardly do any veg, so what is hardly to you? Couple weeks after the seedling pops out? A month? I waited waaaaay too long last time. Want to try your methods and see if I can have better luck this time around. Probably only going to germinate 3 or 4 seeds. I usually have a 2/3 female/male ratio so I don't want to waste too many seeds.

I am about to start a new plant in my phototron from the bag seed I have saved. Maybe I missed it, but what is the optimum time you think to switch from veg to flower? You say you hardly do any veg, so what is hardly to you? Couple weeks after the seedling pops out? A month? I waited waaaaay too long last time. Want to try your methods and see if I can have better luck this time around. Probably only going to germinate 3 or 4 seeds. I usually have a 2/3 female/male ratio so I don't want to waste too many seeds.
I vary my veg period depending on what I am going after at that particular time, but I rarely veg them for longer than a month and normally my veg time is between 2 to 3 weeks but I have done them shorter actually germinating a seed and putting it straight into 12/12 cycle and you end up with plants that are like little popsicle sticks with one main cola and that's it no side branching or anything, the plant simply put all of it's effort into flowering and that is what it did. You can actually grow a type of sea of green like this without using cuttings. Your harvest from a plant this size is also surprising I have grown them this way and produced colas that weighed in dry at over 14 grams each and you can pack them in as close as every 6 square inches, basically the same as if you were growing a flat of seedlings instead your growing a flat of colas. To specifically answer your question about the phototron I would judge by how the plant grows, for a short bushy plant I would go with no longer than 2 weeks for a taller sativa type plant I would go with even less but in my opinion I would say 2 weeks. If I remember correctly the original directions that came with the phototron didn't call for a veg cycle it simply called for germinating and growing the plants under a 12/12 cycle. I have 4 pure Sativas in my room right now that received less than a week of veg and they range in height as of today with the shortest being 16 1/2", 25", 26", and a monster that is 32". They cam from one of my plants that self pollinated itself and in a sense gave me 4 feminized seeds and I threw them into the grow to see what they would do and I did indeed end up with 4 females. I have 4 very distinct phenotypes from a plant that pollinated itself, while each plant is distinctively different they all exhibit the classic sativa look but they separated into 2 different flowering lengths, the 16 1/2" and the 25" are going to finish at around 12 weeks or so, the 26" and 32" are going to finish at around 16 weeks. I judge my flowering time from the time that the plant first shows it's first true flowers until the day that it is ripe and ready to pick. Sorry to ramble on but to answer your question no more than 2 weeks of veg, the plant will still go through it's stretch no matter how old it is and with 2 weeks of veg you should end up with some nice stocky plants just full of buds...:goodluck:...:roorrip:

I vary my veg period depending on what I am going after at that particular time, but I rarely veg them for longer than a month and normally my veg time is between 2 to 3 weeks but I have done them shorter actually germinating a seed and putting it straight into 12/12 cycle and you end up with plants that are like little popsicle sticks with one main cola and that's it no side branching or anything, the plant simply put all of it's effort into flowering and that is what it did. You can actually grow a type of sea of green like this without using cuttings. Your harvest from a plant this size is also surprising I have grown them this way and produced colas that weighed in dry at over 14 grams each and you can pack them in as close as every 6 square inches, basically the same as if you were growing a flat of seedlings instead your growing a flat of colas. To specifically answer your question about the phototron I would judge by how the plant grows, for a short bushy plant I would go with no longer than 2 weeks for a taller sativa type plant I would go with even less but in my opinion I would say 2 weeks. If I remember correctly the original directions that came with the phototron didn't call for a veg cycle it simply called for germinating and growing the plants under a 12/12 cycle. I have 4 pure Sativas in my room right now that received less than a week of veg and they range in height as of today with the shortest being 16 1/2", 25", 26", and a monster that is 32". They cam from one of my plants that self pollinated itself and in a sense gave me 4 feminized seeds and I threw them into the grow to see what they would do and I did indeed end up with 4 females. I have 4 very distinct phenotypes from a plant that pollinated itself, while each plant is distinctively different they all exhibit the classic sativa look but they separated into 2 different flowering lengths, the 16 1/2" and the 25" are going to finish at around 12 weeks or so, the 26" and 32" are going to finish at around 16 weeks. I judge my flowering time from the time that the plant first shows it's first true flowers until the day that it is ripe and ready to pick. Sorry to ramble on but to answer your question no more than 2 weeks of veg, the plant will still go through it's stretch no matter how old it is and with 2 weeks of veg you should end up with some nice stocky plants just full of buds...:goodluck:...:roorrip:

Right on! :thumb:

That is exactly what I was looking for. Probably going to aim for 2-3 weeks. Going to go to a grow shop in my old town soon to look at a new light for it too. Thanks for the info!!!

i have to hold mine up in veg until room for them in the bud room, or until alternating leaves, then they are fair game....oh goody, someone else has a phototron, i just love it....i put all my clones and seedlings in it until too big for there...usually need to move anyway for more clones ect...but i just love it, i have the biggest one, wish they made one bigger....like a room...L

Another update folks, I have harvested another plant since my last update, it was an Indica dominant strain and was completely mature, it was a smaller plant and yielded 21.9 grams wet with buds like rocks, I will update on the dry weight as it is still drying. Now for the pictures of the monsters that I am watching for harvest...
007365.JPG
004450.JPG
001476.JPG
006377.JPG
003475.JPG
005427.JPG
002503.JPG
. All of the plants have been flowering for 74 days and the last one I picked was done at 70 days. Right now I am watching the trichomes and figure the harvest of these will be scattered over about a week or two....On another note my seedlings have all been topped and are turning into little bushes and are ready to take the place of these that come out...:roorrip:

I got to thinking and thought you might enjoy seeing a pic of the last plant that I harvested. It was an Indica Dominant Strain and was mature and ready for harvest at 70 days of flower and had a wet weight of 21.9 grams, I will post dry weight as soon as I can...
0877.JPG
...It was one of the smallest plants in the room but still produced some fine bud, buds are dense and although you can't see it with my cheap camera it is covered with crystals. I am happy with what it produced and it only produced less than what is on the bottoms of the monsters that I am still watching and they are going to start being processed very soon...:roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom