Psilosinner's Inaugural Auto DWC Grow

5/29 - Day 48 (day 10 since flipping to bloom nutes)

I'm topping the res with 2-3gal every other night. Ppm static (760) as well as pH (5.9) so everything is perfect. Girls are stretching like crazy and hoping they start to slow down. I'm bending, tucking, tying down every chance I get to slow things down and get more light down low. Can't imagine their size if they wouldn't have been stunted.

Only concern I have is my humidity. It's 40-60% constantly so trying to get it down by getting a little bathroom size dehumidifier. Had it less than 24hrs and see water collecting in receptacle (small size like 250ml). Know I need I lower definitely in the late stages of bloom so have some time but ideas would be awesome.

IMG_51227.JPG
IMG_51216.JPG

Dark Devil starting to get purple stems
IMG_511611.JPG

IMG_51208.JPG

IMG_51158.JPG

Wipeout is beautiful
IMG_51198.JPG

IMG_51178.JPG

White Widow getting frosty
IMG_51186.JPG

Looking good! (I'm especially interested in how the Dark Devil evolves.)

For humidity, maybe get in there to defoliate some of the jungle's understory so you can get better air exchange?

2-3 gallons a night is rockin'! :) Are you topping off with nute solution, and if so, what's its PPM?

Your pH is nice and stable? (Wish mine was... it goes from 5.8 to 5.4 or less every night.)

Last 2 top offs were straight H2O with hydroguard and Z7 - only drops the ppm by ~100. On the 25th I did 3gal with 40% bloom nutes and only raised ppm to 860 (from 760). 27th 2gal just H2O and went to 740 (from 860) and now tonight to 670.

I've been on the fence with defoil since some say do it others say no because of stunting - it just might do some good to stunt them a bit while also accomplishing reduction of rH. You sold me! :thumb:

Thanks for the info. That's really useful for me to know. (I had what I thought was just the beginnings of nute burn at 600 PPM and backed off the nutes since she was drinking so heavily I figured with all that H2O she was getting too much NPK, but I have been wondering if I have been running with the concentration too light and if that is part of my pH stability problem, so it's good to see that you are successfully running higher.)

I really think with that jungle of yours growing the way it is and in stretch mode, you could easily pull over an ounce of foliage out of there and it would be all for the good. You can always start slow and see how she does, but here's what I'll predict: within 24 hours you won't even be able to tell that you defol'ed and you'll be in there again. It's the miracle of dialed-in hydroponics + a plant in a vigorous growth phase.

Just FYI, I gave my girl probably her last reservoir change ("Ripen" nutes) today and all she is doing is sitting there fattening buds, but now even that and the amount of PPM she eats a day is falling off, so I think the end is near. (Still all white pistils and clear trichomes, though, so who knows?)

I didn't see any nute burn until it pushed close to 1k ppm which I totally expected. Think my magic number is 30-35% concentration.

Damage after defoil for the last 2 hours or so haha. Hope your right on it exploding. Love that I can see the LED on top of res - it was pitch black prior. Lower flowers should love the light - looking at you Widow
IMG_51239.JPG

IMG_51249.JPG
IMG_51257.JPG

Subbed...

Yeah, I think scientific is right on about the defoliation... especially if you are doing a scrog in tighter conditions... if the light isn't really penetrating the lower canopies, they become somewhat superfluous. You want to direct the plant to grow in specific places to exploit the conditions you are working with.

5/31 - Day 50 (day 12 since flipping to bloom nutes)

BAD: So ran into my first official concern during this entire process when I did the res change tonight. As I was emptying the res I had what I think were gnats fly out - only a few. Water smelled good, roots nice and white so kinda confused. More common in soil but they can be in the hydroton. Not sure of solution other than keeping a close eye on things. Nothing on leaves, nothing visible on root masses just flying around.

GOOD: Don't see any issues with my massive defoil but humidity isn't lowering like I'd expect. Don't see any explosive growth which is fine with me since A few are only about 9" away from LED.

Did 36% bloom nutes (ppm 860), res temp 66 and pH 6.1.

Creepy about the bugs. That would bug me too (ha ha), but hydroton and and a hydroponic reservoir ain't gonna support no soil pests. Weird though...

I'm glad the defol went well. You said you have two or three gallons a day going through your plants. They are natural humidifiers. That's what got me to defol mine the first time: there were actually wet leaves where they were touching. I defoliated regularly through the stretch just to keep my plant from turning into bush you could not see through and that could not breath well enough even with two fans.

Creepy about the bugs. That would bug me too (ha ha), but hydroton and and a hydroponic reservoir ain't gonna support no soil pests. Weird though...

I'm glad the defol went well. You said you have two or three gallons a day going through your plants. They are natural humidifiers. That's what got me to defol mine the first time: there were actually wet leaves where they were touching. I defoliated regularly through the stretch just to keep my plant from turning into bush you could not see through and that could not breath well enough even with two fans.

Not so sure about the comment about not supporting soil pests. YouTube videos as well as threads here at 420 showing/talking about it. I opened up the res just now and a handful flew towards my phone light. Looked at all the roots above the water line and can't see larvae. I was able to snap a picture of one...
IMG_513612.JPG

That doesn't look like a fungus gnat to me when I google image search them.

Not so sure about the comment about not supporting soil pests. YouTube videos as well as threads here at 420 showing/talking about it. I opened up the res just now and a handful flew towards my phone light. Looked at all the roots above the water line and can't see larvae. I was able to snap a picture of one...

Insects breeding in a hydroponics tank? Yikes. I still have a hard time believing it, but seeing is believing I guess...

There is moisture and heat but there's really no organic material to support life down there, unless they're somehow living off the roots, which seems unlikely. I mean, it's basically a solution of mineral salts down there. That'll support plants, but not bugs.

But there they are. Really weird.

6/6 - Day 56 (day 18 since flipping to flower nutes)

IMG_51477.JPG

Wipeout Express - just beautiful looking girl
IMG_51467.JPG
IMG_51458.JPG

White Widow - frosty af
IMG_51444.JPG
IMG_51518.JPG

Even after defoiling like a mofo and adding the mini dehumidifier I'm still having rH issues - ranges from 40 to 60 but usually the higher side. Which brings me to the front Dark Devil and my fears that's she is now a he-she. Looks to me those are seeds but not 100% positive

IMG_51496.JPG
IMG_51485.JPG
IMG_51439.JPG

IMG_515011.JPG

7/3 - Day 83 (day 45 since flipping to bloom nutes)

Haven't had many updates since everything WAS status quo until recently. I figured I've got to be getting close to harvest but there are absolutely no trichomes that have started to turn amber which is crazy considering I'm damn near 11 weeks in.

I went solo backpacking in the mountains for 4 days and before I left everything was smooth sailing until I opened the cabinet to find the Auto Ducks had done something crazy. The back one exploded like it was in veg again, probably growing 4", while the other one well I can't explain...
IMG_55239.JPG
IMG_552211.JPG
IMG_552111.JPG
IMG_552011.JPG

IMG_551911.JPG

Now granted the Auto Duck says 11-12 weeks so really am there but crazy side shoots that literally weren't there 6 days ago. I know there was some ppm issues (too high)and pH issues (too low) when I was gone but what in the hell. The new buds/leaves are albino white which is likely from the above issues but what explains the strange new growth?

Back
Top Bottom