Top Drip Recirculating A La WaterFarm - 1 Pineapple Express - Scrogged - 400watt

I'm late posting this week.

I had just finished writing a nicely detailed post, but the server lost it. As a result, I NOW know how to use the auto-save function.

I'm not typing it again! So here are two pics to show progress from last week.

Perspective3.JPG

Close40.JPG

See you next week...

Update:

The bush is filling in the scrog. Hopefully I'm not going to overwhelm the scrog --it's spreading out nicely though.

I needed to lower the humidity in the closet. I pulled the humidifier out about two weeks ago. You may remember that this is in the basement where the ambient temp is around 65 degrees with an RH of 35-40%. The HPS 400 watt is running much, much cooler than the MH was. So I don't need the exhaust fan controlled by the temperature switch any more. What I do need though, is to suck out humid air and intake drier air. So, what I've done is to control the exhaust fan with the humidistat. It's working very well. It comes on for about 30 seconds every 10 to 15 minutes. Perfect! The humidity is around 45% and the temperature stays pretty consistant at 73 degrees.

You may see the beginning of flowers in this picture. I wouldn't recognize a starting flower if it bit my ass, but you may. If you do, please let me know :laughtwo:

Next week will be day 21, so I will completely defoliate in accordance with Bassman59's instructions Increasing yield with defoliation indoors - What's it mean? How to do it?

I'm also going to take a couple of clones. Racefan says go for it!! What is a flowering clone?

Without further adieu, behold:

5-14-14.JPG

I'll see ya next week!

Update:

The flowers are coming along. The defoliation has brought good light to all colas. There is continued debate about the efficacy of major defoliation.

I changed the reservoir two days ago and used rainwater from a barrel I have under a gutter. Bugs, pollen, leaves, and general junk collect in the water, but I hadn't even thought about that fact. Two days later my Ph was down to 4.4 after having set it at 5.8. I usually have to make adjustments, but not like that! Then it occurred to me that the junk in the water is not doing good things for the plant food. This morning I changed out the reservoir with my 90 ppm tap water. Lesson learned --I think.

You can't really see it in the pics, but my canopy is not very even. There's not much I can do about it without re-designing my set up to a certain extent. I know what I'll do next time. In addition, I'm mulling some ideas about a re-design which will allow me to roll the whole plant and scrog out of the closet to get good access to it.

Enough chat. Here are pics....

Top 5/29/17 Day 29 Flower
Top91.JPG

Side 5/29/17 Day 29 Flower
Side70.JPG

Bottom 5/29/17 Day 29 Flower
Bottom18.JPG

Hey Maineiac, thanks!

I have a naïve question. You said you think the colas will stretch some more. That got me thinking. What happens after the so called "stretch" period of +/- 3 weeks? Do the flowers pack on by growing up or do the flowers pack on by growing out along the stem that already exists? Probably some of both, huh? The answer will help me manage the canopy --I think that what I have might be a little overcrowded.

I've seen lots of pictures, but I've never actually watched a plant grow.

In fact, if you have any suggestions or thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for popping in!

Forgive me for kibitzing:

What happens after the so called "stretch" period of +/- 3 weeks? Do the flowers pack on by growing up or do the flowers pack on by growing out along the stem that already exists? Probably some of both, huh?
On mine, the stalks stretched out and calyxes appeared at the nodes. Then with almost no additional growth, more and more calyxes appeared to fill in the bud where before there was just stalk. Very cool process to watch the spindly Olive Oyl stalk turn into one of Popeye's forearms. :)

I've seen lots of pictures, but I've never actually watched a plant grow.!
I have watched this over and over. Hypnotic.
Marijuana Timelapse closeup of flower forming (60 days) - YouTube

Got to be quick here, sorry.

The pics show there's been good flower growth over the last week.

The canopy is rather uneven as I have no more room to spread the plant out. There are colas under colas. I'm not sure if I should cut them or just leave things as they are. My gut says leave things alone. There will be another defoliation at day 42, as per Bassman59's thread, and there'll be a lot more light getting in there.

The plant has become sticky. I reach in to make an adjustment and pull my hand out with sticky fingers. You know, I'm looking for the smell of pineapple, after all it is a Pineapple Express. I can see why people have called the smell pineapple, but, for my money, all I detect is the smell of "new carpet" --no potential for marketing there.

As always, please make any observations you have.

Day 35 Flower
Top92.JPG

Day 35 Flower
Side71.JPG

Day 35 Flower
Bottom19.JPG

Day 35 Flower
Flower98.JPG

And, on a side note, I took clones at day 21 of flower when I defoliated. All three that are in rapid rooters have roots coming out the sides. For the life of me, I expected them to die. I didn't do anything I should have. No clonex, no rooting powder, no sterile razor blade, and just plain ole' tap water. I just kept the leaves moist --sort of... Low, and be-freaking-hold, two weeks later, I have roots coming out of the rapid rooters!

Now I've got to rig up some kind of vegetation growth set-up for five weeks while I wait for harvest of the current grow. This is really cool!

Thanks guys...

Very pretty! :thumb:

Strain Highlights
New Carpet Kush marijuana strain has the aroma of new carpet with accents of "new car smell" and formaldehyde. The flavor is described as a subtle "carpet muncher" flavor with earthy undertones. With a THC content of up to 15% and CBD of 0.14%, the potent buzz is commonly described as "like having polio," often leaving the user face-down on the carpet.

Morning, eggzin

Canopy looks great. Scrog setup is very well done. As far as buds, the roots can support a certain amount of buds. More influential are the lights. My last grow, I didn't turn the lights up all the way (too conservative) . Hence, bud production was down. Live and learn. So, buds closest to light will be the biggest. From these facts, you may draw your own conclusions. Bottom line, you'll do the best you can, and I'll hope for the best for you. How's that?

Morning, eggzin

Canopy looks great. Scrog setup is very well done. As far as buds, the roots can support a certain amount of buds. More influential are the lights. My last grow, I didn't turn the lights up all the way (too conservative) . Hence, bud production was down. Live and learn. So, buds closest to light will be the biggest. From these facts, you may draw your own conclusions. Bottom line, you'll do the best you can, and I'll hope for the best for you. How's that?
Thanks Maniac. I can, in fact, get the light pretty close to the tops. The HPS runs fairly cool (relatively), and there's really good ventilation in the closet these days because of the environment in the basement, so that helps a lot.

Thanks a lot for your input. Very helpful!

And top o' the morning to you! How 'bout this rain, huh? (I'm in New Hampshire.) Hope you've been able to get your grow into the ground by now --between the raindrops.

Hi again, eggzin,

Yes, I have the seedlings and clones all in. We had a few nice mornings to get everything in the ground. Yeah, what's with this weather?!? 55 degrees is the high today, and has been foggy and overcast, just like the last month!. We get what we get.

I do have a journal with pics, just to prove we did have some sun, lol. Cya later.

Today I did the last defoliation.

As I said last week, the canopy is a bit uneven. Even if I bend, I'll still be covering some viable colas. I don't think I'd be gaining much anyway, because the defoliation has exposed the covered colas and my light is already relatively close to the tops being that I have good air movement in the closet. I'm going to leave well enough alone.

I've got one of my clones in another hydro top drip bucket --a replicated Water Farm. I lost/gave up on 2 of them, and this one I think I barely caught in time. I wasn't prepared for them and didn't really know how to proceed in terms of light, humidity, and nutes, so I severely stressed them. I had to school myself after I took the cuttings. I think this one is going to survive. I'll share more about that later.

Here are some before and after shots of the defoliation. It's surprising how much vegetation I removed and still its very leafy.

Sorry about the HPS camera hue in the pictures. When I have time I'll take some steps necessary to get better camera lighting.

Before
Before113.JPG

Before
Before210.JPG

After
C-After.JPG

Cola
Closeup69.JPG

Back
Top Bottom