PZy's 2020 1st Hydro Indoor Grow: Melon Gum, Dr. Underground

pZy

420 Member
A short introduction

Hey friends :)
Long time lurker first time poster here.

I am a long term marijuana enthusiast and lover that just got sick of being part of consumer chain and decided to grow his own medicine. I am suffering from debilitating uncurable disease and unfortunately my health is deteriorating and I can't do things I used to so much so as age is taking over I decided soil is too much work and hassle for me as I need to worry about my future and try to learn and maintain an somewhat automated system that only needs regular checkup and maintainance.

That bought me to hydroponics, I thought it was some mystical sci fi branch of science up until half a year ago but the more I was opting on taking a risk and growing my own ( I live in Europe in country where its still highly illegal to do so ) but the more I was thinking about what equipement to buy and how to start my indoor adventure I was seeing the futility of trying to do "organic" grow in indoor settings...

I am somewhat well versed in outdoor growing because I have had quite a few guerilla grows over the years but I am too old for all that risk and stress haha.

Plus I really wanted not only to grow my medicine but to understand the in's and out's of each and every part of the process of doing so so literally my only option was to get into hydroponics. I also would like to build my own hydro farm for a lot of different crops along a few years so I decided if I learn to properly grow some top notch medicinal in a hydro setup how hard could it be growing my own tasty tomatoes and lettuce along the line? :D

This setup is a result of almost 3 months of planning, learning and preparation before I even assembled it to be sure I ain't wasting money on redundant or bad equipment. I pretty much had the whole theory in place at this point but now its time to turn it into real knowledge through real life practice.

So let me give you a brief rundown of my operation so far.

1. General Info:

Strain (Breeder):
Melon Gum ( Dr. Underground )
Grow Type: Hydro - whole tray Ebb & Flow / Top Drip Feed - (No pots)
Medium: Hydroton Clay Pebbles - 30 Gallon
Tent Size & Type: 5x5 ( 1.5x1.5m ) - MarsHydro
Growlight: Optic 8+ COB LED
Hydro Tray: 95x95cm GHE Ebb&Grow 25gallon (100L tank)
Inline Fan: Winflex TT 150 U
Water Chiller: Hailea 150A
RO Filter: Maxaquarium 000 PPM
Airquality Monitor: Kaiterra Co2 Egg

Misc Equipement:
Bull Carbon Filter
GSE Timer
Klarestein Dehumidifier
ProKlima Humidifier
Stadler Form Oscilating Fan
Cyclone Fan
Air Compressor 45w
2x Submersible Oxygen Air Pump 220-240V
4x Air Stones
2x Regular small clip fans
2x Grownets (5x5)

2. Nutrient Info:

Greenleaf Nutrient line

Megacrop
( Seed to finish )
Kelp Extract ( Seed to finish )
Sweet Candy (Flower only)
Optional - Cal Mag & Bud Explosion - don't think I will be using those, too high PPM counts would throw everything off balance it seems.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CX Horticulture Nutrient line

Regen - A - Root ( Seed to finish )
Bio - Balancer ( Seed to finish )
Optional - Wilt Guard

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Beneficials, Additives, Supplementation & Misc:

Beneficials:

TNC MycorrHydro
SoilBalance Pro Mix

Additives:
Future Harvest's - Royal Fulvic Gold (0-1-0)
Yucca

Supplements (Optional):

Epson Salt - Mag/S source - seems MC needs a lot Mag supplementation especially under COB's
GHE Cal Mag
GHE Mineral Magic
Silica SiO2
Aloe Vera

Misc:
Triacontanol - Folliar application only w. Yucca, Silica, Fulvic, Kelp & Cal Mag IF needed.

So thats pretty much my whole fucking setup as it is.
I started originally 4 months ago in Coco but I hated it, I know everyone says its best for begginers but I had serious issues with its moisture retention, also didn't wash it quite enough so had shitload of coco dried particles floating around my growbox when ventilators were on.

And not only that but only 3 out of 5 seeds germinated meaning I had to keep a shitload longer veg to cover the whole 5x5 with only 3 plants.

So I ditched that, got to week 3 and decided if I am gonna go hydro might as well abuse the fast drying time of Hydroton = easier root oxygenation = faster growth.

And I am loving it. Next batch I decided I wanna do automatics to cover up for lost time on coco project, so I opted out for 2x Crystal Meth, 3x Devil Cream and 3x Purple Lemonades... which also ended up in thrash because I had a fucking flood 2 weeks into the grow.

The water returning from my water chiller to the nutrient tank goes through a somewhat longer hose that managed to turn itself around in my tank and literally start shooting the water out of it... luckily that night I wasn't able to sleep and I noticed it literally right away.. still had to rip apart the whole setup in single night to save up my room because it flooded outside of the growbox (shitty water proof they got in these MarsHydro growbox lining trays).

I cannot tell you how the fuck I even managed to get that hydroton table off the nutrient tank, the thing must weight around 60kilos... but that panic mode man.

I was seriously contemplating should I just quit by now and try a regular soil grow but I said fuck it, all in baby leap of faith.

I decided to not tempt fate in future so I went to my hardware store and bought industrial grade hydroisolation for outter ponds and pools, mainlined that as inside insolation inside my growbox around the frame pipes. If it manages to happen again it will be a self contained swimming pool at least, but that hose reversing itself in tank was really not a variable I could count on especially with everything else I was trying to keep track off in that period.

So, after that I put some automatic freebies that were all over genetics wise, had like 6 strains and I couldn't get them to work on same nutrient recepies because one likes it the other is deficient and such problems... they were freebies that I had to pick like 7 different ones to get them all in 65-70 day flower period so I can flush them all at the same time (since I can't preflush multiple strains in whole tray setup) so I just decided fuck it all.

Lets do a mono culture project because thats how ebb & flow is supposed to be done, I have opted for Melon Gum, a strain I already growed outdoors and had some experience with plus a strain that I know is juicy as they get... its just a perfect candidate for my setup, as I have a lot of height issues (can't grow plants over 110 cm's) and melon tops at around 100 cm, is a hugeeee yielder and delivers some of the most mouthwattering flavor I ever tried... its like literally smoking on a fucking watermellon bubblegum.

Insane.

So here we are boys.

Day 13 of my new adventure. This time everything seems totally under control, I see they have a slight mag deficiency as new top growth is too bright and lime greenish but its time to slowly start upping the nutrients anyway this following week.

They were fed 400 PPM MC + 100 PPM of additives for 500 PPM total but I increased MC PPMs to 550-600 yesterday for a total of 700. They had their first feed yesterday and seems they got a small nutrient burn from what I can see on some leafs, nothing major gonna see if I need to dilute the solution a bit but I think they gonna get through it. I am really hating this Mag issue tho.

Day: 13

Current Environment Conditions:
Temp: 24-25c
RH: 70-75%
Co2: 812

Nutrient Solution Parameters:
PPM:
690-700
EC: 1.05
PH: 5.85
Temp: 20c

IMG_20200220_093504.jpg

IMG_20200220_093516.jpg

IMG_20200220_093522.jpg

IMG_20200220_093528.jpg

IMG_20200220_093538.jpg
IMG_20200220_093549 (1).jpg

So yea they look pretty healthy to me, apart from lime green bright new growth but thats somewhat normal... tho it is a Mag issue, but seems if I up the MC its too much, my current nutrient solution has 30 PPM of added Epson Salt Mag, thought it should had been enough but doesn't seem so.

The 4 plants you see separate in a black tray on top of the tank are those random autoflower seedlings from the past batch, they are only 6 days older then the replanted babies - which was 2 days ago).

They seem quite healthier even tho they are a bit older so they can uptake more, I use them mainly for reference points so I can see beforehand how the young ones will react before I apply the same nutrients and conditions.

Only difference is they are not showing so much of lime green growth issue - they did but I treated them with 20 PPM of Triacantanol, 20 PPM Mag, 10 PPM GHE Mineral Magic, Silica, Yucca and Aloe Vera Foliar spray and they recovered miraculasly .

Except that bright yellow top mutant, I left him to starve because he really doesn't like the conditions these other plants are in, plus he seems to have some mutation as he was quite gimped as a baby so he is irrelevant :)

Anyway, this is about as detailed breakdown as I can give you guys at this point, really hoping to have learned enough about my setup to have finally dialed in and calibrated most parts of the process.

Thats why I opted to join the community that learned me most of what I know, I wanna share and help people see the difference too... plus if I hit any brick walls and setbacks again would rather have you guys have my back :) together we are stronger :D

Anyways thats it for today, I will be try to be frequent with my updates as possible but not bugger you guys daily with it :D unless you want to see more that is :) hahahah

cheers my friends and remember...

preparation is half the victory ;)

Haha, yea when I get into it I really get into it.

Anyway, here is a current progression update:

Day: 29 (from seed)

Temp: 24-25c
RH: 70-75%
Co2: 950

PPM:
690-700
EC: 1.05
PH: 5.85
Temp: 18c

Nothing crazy changed here, I actually lost a lot of time because I thought I was having a nutrient issue when in fact for a whole week between day 13-20 my drippers were doing a really bad job, I made the watering cycle too far apart and the root zone got dried out too much and I had nutrient burn issues, first I thought my PH was somehow messed but I always track it then I realized I had mineral residue due to root zone drying out too quickly...

I only realized that on day 20, I could see it gradually get worse by that time... I just flushed them with shitloads of PH'd water with beneficials and yucca and they got right back to it, healthy new leaf offshoots and all.

They took the past week to mainly recover, I gave them less nutrients (Around 500 ppm's) but they started fading so I upped it to 850 PPM's while they were on drippers.... looked just fine.

2 days ago I switched it to proper ebb & flow, the nutrients are in the tank now and they are on 2 minute flood cycle every 5 hours and loving it so far.

Unfortunately I gave them 900 PPM solution to start with, but they immidiately showed tip burns after first soak, and PPM's went to like 950, so I topped the solution off to around 700 PPM's and today its at 730 PPM's...

will probably have to dilute it again to somewhere around 600.

IMG_20200307_112251.jpg
IMG_20200307_112321.jpg

IMG_20200307_112310.jpg

Older leafs I didn't wanna cut even tho they were damaged until the branche nodes start coming out, will get rid of them soon enough when they grow a bit more.

Some are showing a bit darker leaves some are quite brighter,already seem like I will have couple of phenos. Some also have quite reddish - purplish stems already.

All except the middle one are LST'd, and couple of them are also topped. I just wanna see the variation in techniques nothing special there.

I got rid of the dripper system because when I installed the ebb & flow finally I had a big problem with runoff which wasnt returning to the tank beneath because I somehow thought the roots could clog the drainage valves, so I tied some copper plated fabric (the ones used in autopots to prevent roots from coming out of the autopot) but it turns out my water pump can push the water through the pores easily, but they do not allow water to return freely...

so I had to take off the whole drip system, and this entire grey fabric - thank god I noticed it now, if they gotten too big I would have to tear it completely....

anyway, dismantled it all, took me around a fucking hour to get that shit off because I couldn't empty the tray, the clay pebbles would fall all the time lol xD

so yea, that all was 2 days ago, I can finally say they have some peace.

Only problem remaining is the PPM solution rising, gonna dilute it to around 600 PPM's and see if thats better.

Day: 61 (from seed 20/4)
Day: 12 (Flowering 12/12)

Temp: 27-29c
RH: 50-55%
Co2: 1250

PPM:
950-1050
EC: 1.4-1.5
PH: 5.9
Temp: 18c

uh14km552mr41.jpg

Feeling the filling finally :D the growth has been insane these couple past days since flipping, soon to have the full tent filled pretty much.

Stopped using Megacrop, its too PH unstable, switched over totally to CX Horticulture nutes and I am loving it, definitely using them from now on, its perfect for hydro and the plants LOVE it, healthy as they can be.

The little hairs just started popping out, should start thickening up nicely soon x))))

Day: 72 (from seed 20/4 till day 49)
Day: 23 (Flowering 12/12)

Temp: 27-29c
RH: 50-55%
Co2: 1650

PPM:
EC: 1.5-1.6
PH: 5.8
Temp: 20c

IMG_20200418_182901.jpg

IMG_20200418_182918.jpg

IMG_20200419_170749_521.jpg

Some sneak peaks :D ladies getting hairy and fattening up nicely... the smell is still quite subtle but quite more obvious, smells like melons and herbs with dash of strawberries.

My biggest issue is my exhaust ventilator died yesterday, so i have to improvise at the moment but will need to buy a new one tomorrow, hopefully will manage because shops are still closed due to Corona situation... :S crazy but will figure something out

cant wait till they fat up and start putting on colors soon in upcoming weeks x)))

Back
Top Bottom