Question about holding clones in stasis

TattooedJT

I was wondering if anybody has ever tried to hold a clone in stasis before and what was their success rate?
The reason I'm asking is I'm in my first grow (it's going great...feel free to check out my journal) and Sunday I will be switching to 12/12 and because I have just one grow room, I would like to hold a few clones in stasis for 6-7 weeks before I try to root them. This way I wouldn't have to reinvest in new clones.
I have read up on how to keep the clones (was going to keep them with water in a Tupperware in my fridge) and I feel very confident that I can pull it off just looking for any pointers.

Re: Question about holding clones in stasis.

Well i've not tryed the stasis thing on clones but would imagine its only suitable as a short term solution... 6 to 7 weeks seems difficult & the likely chance of survival appears slim.

Inless you would like to link some suitable reading material to this thread, as i would find such information interesting :thumb:

Anyway, would it not be more suitable to root the clones and veg them ? that way when your plants come of the flowering room you have plants already to go into flower room rince & repeat etc thats like perpetual grow...

It don't take a great deal to veg a few plants & keep em vegged for a couple of months a blue 6400k CFL will do just fine.

I wish that I did have a veg and a flower room,but my space is limited to only one grow room. if this works I can have a returning crop for my next grow :thumb:... I plan on starting grow#2 right after I harvest grow#1.
here is a link to what I had read about it How can I hold clones in stasis? The fridge method

Cheers for the link :thanks:

Looks interesting tho on the short term longevity of clones/cuttings, but the long term chance of successful rooting of clones may be a disadvantage inless clones/cuttings are plentiful.

You can take clones during the flowering stage.

Be sure not to lollypop your plants (cut the small bottom branches) so that later into flower you can take them as clones.

I believe there are guides on flowering clones here. Basically just try to remove all the buds cuz they will be prone to molding. Then clone like you would any other cutting. It's also believed that flowering clones are superior so there that too! I'm actually trying it myself right now, it's about to root out.

Xearoveg said:
You can take clones during the flowering stage.

Be sure not to lollypop your plants (cut the small bottom branches) so that later into flower you can take them as clones.

I believe there are guides on flowering clones here. Basically just try to remove all the buds cuz they will be prone to molding. Then clone like you would any other cutting. It's also believed that flowering clones are superior so there that too! I'm actually trying it myself right now, it's about to root out.

Thanks Xearoveg...I'm not sure where I read it but I'm pretty sure that I read not to take clones during flower, because it causes to much stress going back to veg while trying to grow roots.
Let me know how yours turns out tho that would be alot easier for me to do.

Hi bro, I've used the stasis method many times and although its possible to keep clones this way for the for 6 to 7 weeks wanted. You'll have to take very good care of them to get a good survival rate! By refreshing the air and changing the water once to twice a week...

Here's a link to my journal where you can see a demo of clones in stasis, click here

Anyway if you have a smspacepcae to clone, you could keep them in 1inch root riot cubes for 6 to 7 weeks. Using low temps and light without them growing much at all.

Flowering clones is another way like others have suggested but you'll have to wait for them to reveg...

ThatBoyDean said:
Hi bro, I've used the stasis method many times and although its possible to keep clones this way for the for 6 to 7 weeks wanted. You'll have to take very good care of them to get a good survival rate! By refreshing the air and changing the water once to twice a week...
Thanks man! I think that I will try and hold them for about 4-6 weeks until trying to root them...nothing really to lose anyways just would be really cool if I can pull it off.

Congrats on the new veg box :thumb:

How long have the clones been in stasis for ? & i'll be interested in the results on how many successfully root after the period in the fridge.

Cheers :peace:

Booyaa Baby...BOOYAA !!!:thumb:
it worked!!! today when I checked on my clones to give them a little more water,6 of the 9 had roots galore!:yahoo: I planted the 6 (3 Void & 3 Vortex) into red solo cups. there is 3 left (1 Vortex,1 K.O. Kush and 1 Sky Walker that has 1 tiny root showing) I'm really hoping that the Sky Walker and K.O. take off as well being that they are the only ones but I'm very happy with my turn out.:bravo: and it's only been 9 days.

Excellent news, its a pretty alright rooting success bearing in mind that some strains can be more temperamental to clone/root than others :thumb:

Keep up the good work + reps

This is my first grow, and I'm planning on getting clones to start, but I didn't know what to do after my first harvest. How would I start the second grow?

I still don't know what I might expect to pay for clones, but I don't want to do it more than once. After reading this thread, and of course many others here at 420magazine, I think I've realized what a continuous grow is. It's having clones ready to replace the plants I just harvested.

So I'll take a clone right before flowering, then keep it under 24hr light in a separate space while waiting 2 months for harvest in my grow room. The day after harvest I guess I can transplant my clones to the grow room on 12/12.

Does that sound about right?

I finally gave up on the K.O. Kush...after 18 days still no roots. But my other 8 are doing great, it seems there is already new growth starting. With my veg cabinet I won't have to use stasis again,but you never know what the future will bring. At least I know that it's possible.

Sorry to hear about the KO kush, but pretty good results so far :thumb:

In the past i've always cut at 45 degrees below a branch node for cuttings even tho i lost on average 25% of cuttings through this method.

I recently took some cuttings and left 3/4 of an inch of stem below the node and gentle scrapped the skin of that section of cutting with a scaple & found an increase in success of rooting with in the 10 to 14 days expected time frame of clone/cutting taking root.

Its worth a play around with if ample clones/cuttings are aviable at hand & often use clonex for them :love:

newhydrohobby

Ya hit the nail on the head for a perpetual grow :peace:

I often take cuttings from my plants just before placing into flowering tent.

Whilst my plants are going throught the process of flowering my cuttings are rooting/rooted around 14 days, transplanted into 1 litre pot for early veg for 14 days and then tranplanted again into a larger pot of choice for final vegging for aprox 28 to 35 days.

This all takes place with in the alloted flowering time of strain grown e.g 9 weeks / 81 days.

So as once flowering cycle has finshed i have mature vegged plants to enter the flowering cycle, rince & repeat = perpetual

Quack, Quack! Thanks!

My basic plan is to place my cuttings in rockwool in a mini-greenhouse under a T5 in a small tent for two weeks, then into a Daisy Cloner 8 in the same tent for the next six or seven weeks before harvest. Then I will set the 2" pots inside the bigger ones in my DWC, and there is my second grow.

Back
Top Bottom