Veg's Drip Hydro BubbaKush/StrawberryCough Grow Journal - 2012

Xearoveg

This will be my first grow journal but 4th or 5th grow overall. I am mostly looking for help of course because this will be only my second indoor grow and my first with any sort of budget :high-five: But of course I have a passion for taking photos of this stuff just as much as I do growing it so there should be plenty of that as well! This grow is planned to be perpetual in 4 stages (including cloner)... hopefully!

The two strains I will be growing are Strawberry Cough and Bubba Kush. According to Leafly reviews the Strawberry Cough is a sativa dominant plant where as the Bubba is almost pure indica dominant coming from Bubble Gum and of course Kush. We are going with a drip irrigation style hydro grow with red clay pellets as a medium. We have a 27 gallon reservoir filled with about 20 gallons of water.

I will be doing 9 plants at a time as my max here is 18 plants for the patients I'm growing for. One of them is my dad, who is helping me with this grow as well. He has done it this way before so I decided to give it a try. Because I know experience means so much for growing this plant and hydro seems especially volatile. I wanted to do a form of hydro because after doing a soil grow inside I realized it was best to be left for the outdoor grows.

I am not too experienced with any other nutrient line than Fox Farms, so while I let my dad use his style of growing method we are going with the Fox Farms line of nutrients for now. Which is what he used before too but he was somewhat set on moving to something else, but I have had great success with Fox Farms in all my grows so we will stick to that until I find something that shows something much better. I like the quality of bud you get from these nutes. I have the full line except the Kangaroots and Microbe brew. Which is Grow Big Hydro, Grow Big (for the mommys in soil), Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, Open sesame, Beastie bloomz and ChaChing.

I am looking for different strains but it's hard to find the right clones around here. I don't know a lot of card holders that grow in my area. The strains I am looking for and hopefully changing to may include White Widow, Dream Queen or Trainwreck. At max two different ones at a time.

The 4 stages of growing will be the cloner, veg, and two stages of flower. Which is why I'm only doing 9 per stage instead of 18, so I can allow for the two stages of 9 (above 1ft tall) in flower.

So enough words for now here are some pictures of the first grow stage currently operating.

This is day 1, I am currently at day 10.

Still day 1. Mommys to the left.

The two mommys who made all these girls possible :bravo: (at day 10 of the first grow cycle)

Here we are 10 days later, not a lot has changed so far :(

Here are the two moms before the first cycle began, testing out the tent so we could see how the temps hold up.

The tent is located in our shop which is unheated at the moment. We are keeping a close eye on the temps with a wireless unit. With the lights on it keeps a solid 66F with a fan inside to blow air around and one exhaust hole to get some fresh air inside. We have a lot of spidermite problems here and I was told if I kept the temps below 67 they would lay dormant and not be a problem. From what I have read that is a reasonable temp to grow at so I decided to give it a try. Of course we tried to clean out the area best we could to kill off any that could be in there. When the light is off we are using a space heater on a timer that kicks on and keeps it around the same temp.

We have several ballasts and bulb setups and for the tent we have thrown in the 600w Metal Halide which is on for 18/6 right now. Other than that we have two 1000w HPS and a 500w(two 250w in one hood) HPS. We are planning on moving the MH into the flowering room as soon as the first cycle is about a foot tall and replacing it with the 500w HPS to see how they match up for the veg and so we can get a HPS and MH mix for the flowering room.

So far I am following the feeding schedule relatively and all I have to work with right now is a water test ph kit and some ppm test strips that don't seem to work at all. I need to pick up some drip clean I hear and whatever else you guys think I should add. I try to adjust the ph every 2-4 days down to around 6.0 with standard PH down (that orange stuff).

I estimate around 18-20 gallons in my 27 gallon reservoir and I have given them so far:

(3 1/2 days ago) [Following week 1 directions]
17 tsp Big Bloom
11 tsp Grow Big Hydro

(Today a few hours ago, they are looking good) [Following week 2 directions]
17 tsp Big Bloom
11 tsp Grow Big Hydro

So the first 7 days they were living off the seedling amounts of nutes needed and not a lot changed. I didn't add more after 3-4 days (fox farms says feed twice a week, and since I have no ppm tester I'm just gonna wing it) because I was kind of just taking it easy, getting a feel for this and making sure I didn't burn them. Since they have started off so slow (Probably from me under nuting them so much) I decided to stay on week 2 on the Fox Farms Hydroponic Feeding schedule for an additional week. (unless that's a bad idea?)

So a lot of questions I have about just about everything... If there is anything else you want to know just ask! I will try to fill out any spaces I left. I will also be getting the dimensions of the rooms for you and measure the distance of the light from the plants as well to see what you guys think I should change there if anything.

Here's an update, on the grow we are at day 20!.... Picture time. :high-five:

Day 11:
IMG_16435.JPG

IMG_16447.JPG

IMG_16455.JPG

IMG_16468.JPG

IMG_164711.JPG

Day 13: I tied the mothers down and did some super cropping on them.
IMG_164911.JPG

IMG_16489.JPG

IMG_165011.JPG

IMG_16558.JPG

Day 14:
IMG_16566.JPG

IMG_16577.JPG

IMG_16584.JPG

IMG_16598.JPG

IMG_16608.JPG

Day 15: I tied them down as there was a good bit of healthy growth and this is when I like to start!
IMG_16663.JPG

IMG_16673.JPG

IMG_16685.JPG

IMG_16694.JPG

IMG_16706.JPG

Right after I took pictures I actually switched out middle right for a new strawberry cough (same strain switched) out of the cloner because this one was not creating roots or taking off. There was an excellent candidate that I knew would catch up with the others. It took in and is healthy as could be. I tied her down too and snapped this pic for ya.
IMG_16716.JPG

Day 18: We got some good growth going on. The root masses have really gone crazy!
IMG_16738.JPG

IMG_16743.JPG

This is the one that's showing signs of stress. It's a Bubba Kush.
IMG_16758.JPG

IMG_16767.JPG

Here you can see a root making it's way down the table already.
IMG_16777.JPG

IMG_16786.JPG

Here I added a 90w UFO LED light to help out the veg room a bit.
IMG_16795.JPG

IMG_16807.JPG

This is the cloner, 100% success rate on this thing so far it's working great!
IMG_16818.JPG

IMG_16824.JPG

IMG_16835.JPG

IMG_16844.JPG

So here is the new ec/ppm tester! It seems pretty nice.
IMG_16726.JPG

I found my ec too be extremely high! about 3.6. Only one plant showed signs of stress but regardless, I diluted the reservoir down with 10 gallons of fresh water, 5 new gallons and then took out 5 gallons and added 5 more fresh gallons. This brought it down to about 2.6 which is still pretty high but I think they'll start taking it in.

They look great though! More importantly, I should be able to keep them nice and dialed in at the correct ec now. :thumb:

More pictures from today (Day 20) coming soon!

Sorry I missed that update, a lot has happened already though.

Grow #2 has started! It is on it's second day.

Grow #1 has moved to the recently setup flowering room.

I should have pictures sometime today once the lights kick on! As well as pictures leading up to today.

Ok, sorry for the long delay. Been too busy for this, but we'll give it another try. Here's a big update.

Day 20:
IMG_16905.JPG

IMG_16915.JPG

IMG_16924.JPG

IMG_16934.JPG

IMG_16974.JPG

IMG_17225.JPG

IMG_17246.JPG

IMG_17268.JPG

IMG_17288.JPG

IMG_17306.JPG

Day 24: This is the day we pulled Grow #1 out of the tent, into the bud room, and started Grow #2 in the tent! Even though it's the bud room, for now it's still on 18/6.

IMG_17395.JPG

IMG_17418.JPG

IMG_17436.JPG

IMG_17452.JPG

IMG_17466.JPG

IMG_17494.JPG

Day 27: We got buckets now for under the baskets. The water pools a small amount at the bottom and drains out.

IMG_17579.JPG

IMG_17589.JPG

IMG_17597.JPG

IMG_17608.JPG

IMG_17637.JPG

IMG_17653.JPG

Day 31:

IMG_17696.JPG

IMG_17717.JPG

IMG_17735.JPG

Day 32:

IMG_17834.JPG

IMG_17849.JPG

IMG_17855.JPG

IMG_17865.JPG

Day 33:

IMG_17879.JPG

IMG_178912.JPG

IMG_17918.JPG

Day 34: Transplanted the two big mommas!

IMG_17937.JPG

IMG_17946.JPG

Day 35: I didn't get any normal shots except the top view of this one here. But I did get some shots of some algae that is growing, I think that's what it is. Any ideas on how to combat this? And if it's a problem, how big of a problem is it? It seems worse in the tent and it's starting to appear in the bud room too now.

IMG_17979.JPG

IMG_18006.JPG

IMG_18028.JPG

IMG_18037.JPG

Well as of today the ppm of the tent is at about 1.7 EC (about 1200ppm) and the ph is 5.5

The bud room reservoir is at around 2.1 EC (about 1500ppm) and 5.5 ph, everything is looking great except the algae problem.

So yeah, taking a look at this older pic here
IMG_17653.JPG

You can see our setup in the bud room. The two side tables are for the younger budding plants, whereas the middle table you see that is lower will be for the plants nearing the end of the budding cycle.

The tent has a separate reservoir and has 9 plants. The two side tables share a reservoir and have 9 plants total. The center table will hold 9 plants as well and have a third reservoir.

Also there are 2 1000 watt Metal Halide (at the beginning I got them backwards) in the bud room at the moment. A 600 watt HPS that is in the tent and that is going in the bud room soon, and a dual 250 (500 total) watt MH that will replace the the HPS in the tent.

So we'll have 2000 watts MH and 600 watts HPS in the bud room. Then 500W MH in the tent, with a 90W UFO LED for some extra light spectrums in case it helps =P

So these are the ballasts I use for the two 1000w lights... Fully digital, switchable.... Just kidding, I think they are actually like homemade haha, I guess they have been working for like over 20 years now no problems though. Beasts!

IMG_18437.JPG

Also I got some seeds!! They are feminized and I have 5 of each.

White Widow, Super Silver Haze, Himalayan Gold

I am going with White Widow instead of Bubba Kush as soon as I can get a mother going and start taking clones.

As for the other strain replacing Strawberry Cough. What do you guys think? Should I keep the Cough, or switch out for the Super Silver Haze or Himalayan Gold?

Leafly "Super Silver Haze was the first prize winner at the High Times Cannabis Cup in 1997, 1998 and 1999 and also won awards at the High Times harvest festival. This sticky sativa will leave you with a great energetic body high. Genetics: Skunk x Northern Lights x Haze."

"The Himalayan mountains are home to many cannabis strains. Parents of Himalayan Gold originate in Himalayan-bordering countries of Nepal and North India. When grown indoors, Himalayan Gold plants can reach up to 5 feet. However when grown outdoors, they have been known to reach up to 8 feet in length. The aromas of this plant have been characterized as a sweet and spicy chocolate and a hint of pepper. With a THC content up to 15% and a CBD of 1.4%, the high hits down and then works its way up."

I am kind of leaning toward the Super Silver Haze myself.

Lots of pictures!

Here's the tent!

Day 39: (Grow #2[in tent] Day 15)
IMG_18793.JPG

One of the Strawberry coughs in the tent. Looking lush!
IMG_18803.JPG

Roots on one of the ones in the tent.
IMG_18817.JPG

Out in the bud room, still on 18/6 lighting. This is the table with 4 on it, the other one on the right side of the room has 5 on it. At one point while I was taking pictures I rearranged the plants so all the Bubba Kush(5 of them) were on the right side and all the Strawberry Cough(4 of them) were on the left side.
IMG_18824.JPG

A closer look at the left table before I organized.
IMG_18838.JPG
IMG_18847.JPG
IMG_18856.JPG

The right table before I organized and the mothers in soil below.
IMG_18865.JPG

A closer look at the right table...
IMG_18879.JPG
IMG_18885.JPG
IMG_18897.JPG
IMG_18907.JPG

Closer on the mothers.
IMG_18916.JPG

Roots of one out in the bud room. One of the smaller root masses out there.
IMG_18925.JPG

The bud room reservoir for the side tables. There will be another one for the middle table.
IMG_18936.JPG

Air stone!
IMG_18946.JPG

Ok this is where I organized them. This is the table with 4 Strawberry Coughs on it!
IMG_18959.JPG

The dog in the back is Monster! Or Moe.
IMG_189610.JPG

The Bubba Kush mother.
IMG_18977.JPG

A closer look at her
IMG_18988.JPG

The Strawberry Cough mother.
IMG_19018.JPG

The Bubba Kush table! There's 5 here.
IMG_19025.JPG

Closer looks
IMG_19038.JPG
IMG_19048.JPG
IMG_19055.JPG
IMG_19065.JPG
IMG_19078.JPG
IMG_19086.JPG
IMG_19096.JPG

And one last shot of the Strawberry Coughs.
IMG_19107.JPG

I am going with White Widow instead of Bubba Kush as soon as I can get a mother going and start taking clones.

As for the other strain replacing Strawberry Cough. What do you guys think? Should I keep the Cough, or switch out for the Super Silver Haze or Himalayan Gold?

Leafly "Super Silver Haze was the first prize winner at the High Times Cannabis Cup in 1997, 1998 and 1999 and also won awards at the High Times harvest festival. This sticky sativa will leave you with a great energetic body high. Genetics: Skunk x Northern Lights x Haze."

"The Himalayan mountains are home to many cannabis strains. Parents of Himalayan Gold originate in Himalayan-bordering countries of Nepal and North India. When grown indoors, Himalayan Gold plants can reach up to 5 feet. However when grown outdoors, they have been known to reach up to 8 feet in length. The aromas of this plant have been characterized as a sweet and spicy chocolate and a hint of pepper. With a THC content up to 15% and a CBD of 1.4%, the high hits down and then works its way up."

I am kind of leaning toward the Super Silver Haze myself.

Back
Top Bottom