Reusing Fox Farms Ocean Forest?

Hayron1088

Ok I’m lost here. I have so much FFOF and want to reuse it. Can I? I’m using Dr. Earth dry amendments and I also have my own earthworm castings. So basically, can I reuse my soil and just mix in some of dry all purpose 4-4-4 organic nutrients? Or is the soil useless after a harvest? I’m getting ready to transplant my clones and would like to do this if possible. Thanks for your time.

Since you used Dr. Earth, that is what was used to grow your plants. Very little of the organic nutrient in the soil was used in that grow. FFOF has nothing in it as far as bloom nutes, its not as complete a soil as you are thinking it might be. This being said, your soil was mostly used to hold water and hold up the plants, and used in this manner, it is probably good for re-use somewhere around 20 times.

Since you used Dr. Earth, that is what was used to grow your plants. Very little of the organic nutrient in the soil was used in that grow. FFOF has nothing in it as far as bloom nutes, its not as complete a soil as you are thinking it might be. This being said, your soil was mostly used to hold water and hold up the plants, and used in this manner, it is probably good for re-use somewhere around 20 times.
Wow that just totally changed the way I grow seriously. I was giving Super Soil a serious thought until this. Budget friendly for me and a wise decision in my opinion.

Another screenshot!!! Thanks Em!

NTH

The fine roots won’t hurt anything, they’ll break down into compost.
And they break down in a short time.

The two ways I do it. One is to leave the soil and the roots in the pot. Cut off the stem of the plant about 6 inches up. Then put the pot of soil out of the way and let it sit there. It has to be watered lightly every two weeks or so, just enough to keep the soil moist. It does not have to be soaking wet. After about 4 to 5 weeks, and it can go longer if there is no need to reuse the soil right away, reach down and grab the stem, give it a small turn and pull it up. Most of the roots stay in the soil. Dump the pot onto the driveway, or into a kid's pool or onto a tarp and add any nutrients or soil amendments that might be needed and mix up. Good as new.

Or, the other way I do it is to cut the stem about 4 inches up and dump the container into a large bucket or basket. I go from one container to the next and stop when the basket has about 25 gallons of soil in it. Add any amendments or nutrients at this time or wait till later. I use a hand trowel to chop up the larger pieces of root ball. Then I pour a bit of water on top of the soil and stir it up. Just enough water to make the soil mix moist, not sopping wet. Will be ready in 4-5 weeks. Just pull the stem out which has not decomposed yet.

If the soil is going to be stored outside it is a good idea to cover the soil whether it is in individual containers or in one large one. To much rain or melted snow will end up over watering the soil which means more time needed for it to dry out.

I’ve harvested two plants in the past couple days so I’ll start the re amendment process soon. Thanks for all the great info.

Back
Top Bottom