Root aphids

Food grade H2O2 will wipe them out quickly. Is this in a DWC setup?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

This is in a soil based setup, try only show up on the runoff when I water, in the waste water that passes thru the plant. I tried to take a picture thru my loupe with my cell phone, b
Didn't work too well. Thank you!

Sent from inside the tent.

They make a nest near the taproot. You can't flush them out because they love water.
Collect some bugs in the runoff tray and pour hydrogen peroxide on them to see if it kills them. Do not pour peroxide onto your root system until you see if it kills the bugs. A certain percentage and quality of H2O2 is required for the root system.
Pour it on the bugs. If it kills them take the next step.

How old/big is this plant?

They are seed starts in soil, less than a month old.
420-magazine-mobile620392855.jpg

I've seen you give some great advice, and enjoy reading your posts. Cheers!

Any soil born pest will greatly reduce the life expectancy of your plant. They will bore into the taproot and your plants will spend so much time trying to recover from the damage they are doing that it will almost assuredly stop production of any other photosynthetic processes.
Try the hydrogen peroxide on the bugs in the tray. See if it kills them. In less than two weeks your plant could be dead so you better act soon.

Step 1 is to stop watering. Let the soil dry out until the plant tells you it needs water. This could take up to 2 weeks. This will drive them to the bottom of the planter. They need a moist environment to survive so you have to rob them of water.
Step 2. Check the catch pan everyday. If the peroxide works use it in the pan. Try not to pour H2O2 into the root system stem. It will likely destroy the beneficial bacteria in the rhizosphere.
This will buy you time and help reduce the population.
Keep the soil dry and you may survive but springtails are notoriously hard to get rid of.

To give you an idea...my plants are about a foot tall. I water them once every 12-14 days.

You'll have to test concentrations. As they collect in the bottom wipe them out each day. See if 50/50 will do.
I hate telling ppl to use H2O2 on soil. It's so bad for the roots.
The weaker the concentration the better as long as it wipes them out.

Hopefully you can dry the soil. Poison the little bastards and then flush the soil an hour or two later with fresh water minimizing any damage to the rhizosphere.

To give you an idea...my plants are about a foot tall. I water them once every 12-14 days.

You'll have to test concentrations. As they collect in the bottom wipe them out each day. See if 50/50 will do.
I hate telling ppl to use H2O2 on soil. It's so bad for the roots.
The weaker the concentration the better as long as it wipes them out.

Hopefully you can dry the soil. Poison the little bastards and then flush the soil an hour or two later with fresh water minimizing any damage to the rhizosphere.

When you say you water them once every 12 to 14 days what method do you use to water them? Are you submerging the pot completely and letting it drain out or watering them from the top down? Or another way?

When you say you water them once every 12 to 14 days what method do you use to water them? Are you submerging the pot completely and letting it drain out or watering them from the top down? Or another way?

Just watering around the rim. I have a moisture meter from Walmart that lets me know when I should water.

Back
Top Bottom