Root aphids

Hey, All - here is another option:

Garlic Oil Spray

Organic gardeners have long relied on garlic as part of their pest-fighting arsenal. Garlic contains sulfur, which, besides being toxic to pests, is also an antibacterial and antifungal agent. The dish soap in this mixture also breaks down the bodies of soft-bodied pests, such as aphids.

What You'll Need:

Three to four cloves of garlic
Mineral oil
Strainer or cheesecloth
Liquid dish soap
Water
Spray bottle

To make garlic oil spray, mince or finely chop three to four cloves of garlic, and add them to two teaspoons of mineral oil. Let this mixture sit for 24 hours. Strain out the garlic pieces, and add the remaining liquid to one pint of water. Add one teaspoon of liquid dish soap. This mixture can be stored and diluted as needed. When you need to spray, use two tablespoons of the mixture added to one pint of water in a spray bottle.

To use your garlic oil spray, first test by spraying an inconspicuous part of the plant to see if your mixture harms it at all. If there are no signs of yellowing or other leaf damage after a day or two, it is safe to use. If there is leaf damage, dilute the mixture with more water and try the test again. Once you have determined that it won't harm your plant, spray the entire plant, paying special attention to the undersides of leaves.

Warning: Garlic oil is a non-selective insecticide, which means that it will kill beneficial insects (such as ladybugs, who are natural predators of aphids) just as easily as it kills the bad guys. It's best to keep as many beneficials around as possible. This spray should only be used if you haven't seen any beneficial bugs in your garden. The tomato leaf recipe, above, won't harm beneficials, so you should use that if you're lucky enough to have some beneficials in your garden.

:high-five:

I had them.
Azamax as both a foliar spray and a soil drench did a good job of controlling them.

I had aphids "once" and now do a preventative in new soils with Beauveria bassianna . It will kill existing aphid population at full strength. I dont know if Im allowed to use name but quart bottle has pictures of strawberry and garden vegs and I order online. Sometimes ants will bring them into garden and actually farm the aphids for their honeydew.

Are these those aphids?
420-magazine-mobile1629416798.jpg

Sent from inside the tent.

Are these those aphids?
420-magazine-mobile1629416798.jpg

Sent from inside the tent.

look like fungus gnats before they mature. BTI applied to soil 3-4 days apart a few times might help along with other remedies. they die easy. 30x loupe would show you what you have, aphids have little tailpipes out their backs and are a bit round, not wormy. I apply a few maintenance doses of BTI when transplanting into new soil along with Beauveria Bassianna at weak ratio for peace of mind. Both are organic bacteria and kill gnat larvie while the BB will also give aphids a serious reduction of surplus population (sorry, too many christmas carol shows).

I used neem oil. Ordered yellow sticky paper for the adults that fly. If those are fungus gnats.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I can't see without a really good close up. Do they look like this?
420-magazine-mobile195265659.jpg

Root gnat larvae are longish and clear to white.

Treating them is as follows.
420-magazine-mobile894672467.jpg

Try sticky boards for the mobile ones. Getting rid of the eggs is the hard part.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom