Sativa Bubble Hash

Right on, I’ll have to check those out. Ya I heard the same though that the waters current spinning is what would break the trichomes off the bud.. that and the cold temp.. so I spun in clockwise rotation for a lil while then reverse to counter-clockwise.

@SimpleManZ420 Looks great man! I've made some like that using a paint mixer in an electric drill. Easier on the arms :thumb: Have been reading recently about using dry ice instead of ice water. Think it looks cool if the dry ice isn't too expensive.

Cheers dude

Thanks PaleSun, I appreciate it. Ya I was reading about the dry ice method and it seems cool but not even sure where to source that at. Lol I would think you’d be able to reuse the dry ice for multiple runs too

Yup, and they did an A/B comparison with the same amount of buds, and the dry ice method had a much higher extraction rate for the same amount of material. You should be able to get it from places that sell: oxygen, food grade CO2, and welding gases.

Dry ice makes the plant material extremely brittle and can result in a huge quantities of contaminants. Water extraction hydrates the vegetal material making it much more resistant to becoming small particulate. in theory bubble hash produces far superior hash.

Nice, see I wasn’t sure about that. From what I’ve read I was under the impression you got smaller yields from dry ice but I could be wrong about that. The only problem I see with dry ice is I’d imagine that’d be harder to agitate without the water.

Nice, see I wasn’t sure about that. From what I’ve read I was under the impression you got smaller yields from dry ice but I could be wrong about that. The only problem I see with dry ice is I’d imagine that’d be harder to agitate without the water.
Cement mixer or paint shaker! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Smart!.. I like it.. If there’s a will there’s a way. Lol I might have to give it a go now next round.:hookah:

Hmmm. All very interesting. As I said I have not yet tried the dry ice method. @ChefDGreen and @SimpleManZ420 Search the MakeWeedEasy website for Bubble hash and Dry Ice hash. They did a comparison of the two. That's why I was excited about trying it.

Cheers guys

Thanks PaleSun, I appreciate it. Ya I was reading about the dry ice method and it seems cool but not even sure where to source that at. Lol I would think you’d be able to reuse the dry ice for multiple runs too
and welding gases.
I sourced some from a company called Airgas. It's cheap - like maybe $1.62/lb if I remember correctly? Here's a link to their website store finder. You can even filter it to show only the locations that sell dry ice.

I still haven't tried it yet, though. I have a single 5 gallon 73 micron bag. I'm planning on using it for hash only, then using the remaining material for some type of tincture or RSO type extraction. Now, I can use dry material for dry ice hash, correct? After I trim this next set of plants today, I should have around 3 or 4 oz. of dried trim (mostly sugar leaves and small buds).

Here's a map pic of Airgas locations. It's not exhaustive of ALL their locations though. There's one about 3 miles from me (in Massachusetts), and the map doesn't show it for some reason.

1473-map-LG.jpg

Hmmm. All very interesting. As I said I have not yet tried the dry ice method. @ChefDGreen and @SimpleManZ420 Search the MakeWeedEasy website for Bubble hash and Dry Ice hash. They did a comparison of the two. That's why I was excited about trying it.

Cheers guys
Okay, I just checked out the article you referred me to and there saying the dry ice method could net us a 40% or so return which is much more then the ice and water route.. I will probably do this next time I make bubble hash to compare methods.

Yup, @SimpleManZ420 I'm totally on side with you there. During my first week of harvest I clip off all the "Prime Tops". They get graded separately, just for smoking or vaping. Then the plants sit for another 10-14 days. During that time I have found that the lower buds under go a growth spurt. Likely because light intensity is increased on them, maybe, also, the plant may sense the stress, like it's been eaten off by a cow :p lol and gives another push trying to reproduce.

It's those secondary buds that I hold back for the hash bucket. Also, they don't need to be trimmed clean like the Prime Tops. @Old Salt comment about a cement mixer got me thinking. Perhaps this could be automated. If you could tilt a 25L pail 45deg, and keep it rolling with the bud and dry ice inside for 5-6 minutes, that might do it.

....hmmm, but how?

@CrazyChef Thanks for the info on dry ice prices. Good to know. I'm definitely going to try a couple Zs of my Production Grade buds into dry ice hash, just to try it out. @ChefDGreen may have a valid point about pulverising the bud material too much. We'll see

Cheers lads

I hear ya @PaleSun. I only used all these buds off this plant because I was forced to harvest early due to my tent breaking.. it still held up.. kind of, but needless to say I was not willing to gamble the well-being of my quantum board to finish one plant. Haha I got nice yields off the first two autos and just decided on a whim to make bubble hash given the circumstances... I was looking into Salty’s referral of a paint or cement mixer and that would work amazing I think... THIS mixer right here would do the job amazing... and my boy Chef is right about too much mixing, many of the examples I saw online had a lot of green looking final product which I believe to be caused by the product being pulverized too much.

I suggest a cement mixer more as a joke to get folks thinking out of the box. I like the mixing action, as it has vanes to slosh the ingredients around as it turns. You could mount similar vanes in a bucket to achieve the same purpose. With that done, an external friction drive for the bucket is not too difficult to make. A lazy susan with the bottom of another bucket attached would serve as the pivot, centering the hash bucket at the same time.

I still haven't tried it yet, though. I have a single 5 gallon 73 micron bag. I'm planning on using it for hash only, then using the remaining material for some type of tincture or RSO type extraction. Now, I can use dry material for dry ice hash, correct? After I trim this next set of plants today, I should have around 3 or 4 oz. of dried trim (mostly sugar leaves and small buds).
Ya you can certainly use your dried product, whether that be trim or buds.. 4 oz should net you a pretty return, what strain will you be running through the bag? @CrazyChef

I hear ya @PaleSun. I only used all these buds off this plant because I was forced to harvest early due to my tent breaking.. it still held up.. kind of, but needless to say I was not willing to gamble the well-being of my quantum board to finish one plant. Haha I got nice yields off the first two autos and just decided on a whim to make bubble hash given the circumstances... I was looking into Salty’s referral of a paint or cement mixer and that would work amazing I think... THIS mixer right here would do the job amazing... and my boy Chef is right about too much mixing, many of the examples I saw online had a lot of green looking final product which I believe to be caused by the product being pulverized too much.

"General purpose electric stirrer for light duty applications in low viscosity materials. The ES105 is a direct drive continuous duty stirrer that develops up to 0.7 in-lbs of torque rated to stir up to 5 gallons of water. This basic 1/80 HP stirrer..."

It's not powerful enough. That 0.7 in-lb or 0.06 ft-lbs wouldn't even move the paddles in the ice/hash mix. It would be great to keep the nutrients mixed for me. I'd just turn it on for five minutes a few times per day.

I suggest a cement mixer more as a joke to get folks thinking out of the box. I like the mixing action, as it has vanes to slosh the ingredients around as it turns. You could mount similar vanes in a bucket to achieve the same purpose. With that done, an external friction drive for the bucket is not too difficult to make. A lazy susan with the bottom of another bucket attached would serve as the pivot, centering the hash bucket at the same time.
Ya I wouldn’t actually use a cement mixer lol but the paint mixer could surely work... but then again if I’m gonna spend $ on a mixer I would most likely just buy the mixing machine that comes with the bubble bags, but I hear those don’t deliver reliable results... it’s all just speculation at this point.

Back
Top Bottom