Sharing about good drying method

Hi guys,

I m a bit lazy to write too much as I m not native English. I ll try to make it short.

I have done 5 grows within the last two years and could try different drying method. I could test wet trimming and dry trimming. I also tested brown paper bag which is known IMO the best out of all way to dry weed with the perfect timing and lead to those perfect tasty buds we re all deserve after several weeks of patience. Yeah cause you have to add at least 3 weeks after the end of the grow to start enjoying your harvest.

Anyway this run I decided to dry one entire plant and wet trim the second one and put in brown paper bags. I had already dried plant after harvest with all leaves. I takes around 7 days to be ready for cure. The problem is that you can judge the RH only with the bend snapping method or your instinct. I was close to overdry my buds that time and hopefully had some boveda packs to help things. However from what I read everywhere, curing stops as soon as RH goes below 62% in buds. Tonight I opened my brown paper bags to check the second plant buds which have been in it (trimmed) and since harvest for 8 days. I took a bit of the bag and put buds in jars with hygrometer. A couple minutes after closing the jars RH went up to 70%. So I just put them back in the brown paper bags realizing before trying the jar to test the RH, that I was already feeling they needed more time in brown paper bags before jarring.

So this brought me to conclude I ll stick to the brown paper bags method as it offers more control. Just have to place an hygrometer in the bag and start checking after around 1 week most of the time. The wonderful thing with those bags is also that it s hard to get mold in it if you use it well. What I always to is place small buds with branches so keep max moisture. I fill the bottom of the bag with those trimmed buds but still with branches. Never got any mold even after not opening for 10 days. I had read about this method on this forum and is glad to say again how it s perfect! More control! Slow drying! No mold!

People used to "brown bag it" as a normal thing. They didn't throw buds into jars to cure, lol, that was just long-term storage. A good long slow dry IS a cure.

The whole "hurry up and dry them so you can throw them into jars and start the cure" thing is, I suspect, thanks to the Internet (and High Times, probably). And there's also that "I want to be able to smoke this stuff NOW!!!" thing going on, lol.

The only real concern is mold, and you appear to be vigilant in watching for its appearance, so I'm guessing you'll end up with a fine bunch of buds.

It's relatively rare to see cannabis correctly cured these days, to the point where there is hardly any green left, and what little there is only a faint ghost of the color it originally was (because the chlorophyll has been converted into other things). It has been for years.

Can you imagine growing a moderately large outdoor crop (50 plants or so, up to - or even well over - a pound of bud from each)... and then trying to "cure" the harvest in hundreds of glass jars, LMFAO?

Some advice I was given and if you can make it happen I would suggest giving it a try as I am going to this round as I see it being truly beneficial . you will need a dehumidifier , a humidifier and a/c . for some of the best smoke to slow dry it in a room with 60%rh @ 60 degrees . I feel that it will take at least 2 weeks for the buds to be ready tp be removed from the stalk/branches.

Some advice I was given and if you can make it happen I would suggest giving it a try as I am going to this round as I see it being truly beneficial . you will need a dehumidifier , a humidifier and a/c . for some of the best smoke to slow dry it in a room with 60%rh @ 60 degrees . I feel that it will take at least 2 weeks for the buds to be ready tp be removed from the stalk/branches.

I guess it would be the perfect drying conditions!

I dry mine hanging on a rack in 68 degrees with between 55 to 60% humidity in the dark.
Usually takes about 10 days give or take a day or so to get close to a stable 62%.
I'll take smaller buds and fill a jar as a test, put in a hygrometer and see where they're at.
Then start manicuring as they reach that perfect point where they are ready to jar.
If they stay between 62 to 64% I just burp them a couple times a day for a few days until they are a stable 62% then add a Boveda pack.
If they are above 65% I burp or dump out for an hour or two and keep doing that until iam close to 62%.
Then burp once a day for a few days, then once a week for 3 weeks and then they are ready for long term storage.
I put them in the most temp and humidity stable room in the house in an insulated box in total darkness that stays a pretty constant 69 to 70 degrees.

A couple months ago I finished our last jar of Hiydrow from a grow from over 18 months ago.
The buds were all brown, wildly gooey, still couldn't use a grinder had to use scissors to chop it up.
Taste was of fresh orange, sweet after taste, very smooth.
Aged like a fine wine.

It's relatively rare to see cannabis correctly cured these days, to the point where there is hardly any green left, and what little there is only a faint ghost of the color it originally was (because the chlorophyll has been converted into other things). It has been for years.

Can you imagine growing a moderately large outdoor crop (50 plants or so, up to - or even well over - a pound of bud from each)... and then trying to "cure" the harvest in hundreds of glass jars, LMFAO?
So true. I have had people complain my weed is too brown, They want that awesome fluoro green stuff.
Then they smoke it and get couch lock.

I do my own weird thing that just works for me and that is I start curing 2 days in, first for short periods, maybe just an hour but in flat long tubs as to not squash the buds. Then i dry for another 12 hours or so and then cure again. I slowly cure for longer and dry for less until the aroma changes. Its all about the smell for me, always has been. Once it loses its acrid dankness and starts to smell more earthy i then cure it in the normal tubs cause they won't squash plus i dont have to check them much, The smell says it all. I always smell mould wanting to start before it does. It goes from earthy to very very slightly mossy, but weirdly the buds ive pushed almost to the point of mould have been psychedelic aye
I'm just weird but i like the way it smokes up this way plus my nugs are unique and browner to most around here.
Mine atm a week or so into cure
IMG_20190606_101839.jpgIMG_20190606_101852.jpg
So this brought me to conclude I ll stick to the brown paper bags method as it offers more control.

The paper bag method certainly is tried and true though and im glad you found something that works for you cuz.
Hope those nugs buzz you cuz
:hookah::yummy:

A couple months ago I finished our last jar of Hiydrow from a grow from over 18 months ago.
The buds were all brown, wildly gooey, still couldn't use a grinder had to use scissors to chop it up.
Taste was of fresh orange, sweet after taste, very smooth.
Aged like a fine wine.

So true. I have had people complain my weed is too brown, They want that awesome fluoro green stuff.
Then they smoke it and get couch lock.

The paper bag method certainly is tried and true though and im glad you found something that works for you cuz.
Hope those nugs buzz you cuz
:hookah::yummy:

Yes there is nothing like the flavor of nicely cured nuggets . I feel that most people suffer from instant gratification and it has been that way for quite sometime . I actually read a paper last year that talked about the lost art of harvesting and curing cannabis ….your average person is harvesting sooner and loosing the balanced high and rushing it to market. People think discolored smoke is bad ..well yeah it is if it smells like mold ..doh . but if it has a nice thick danky odor ..hold onto your socks because I guarantee its going to be smoooooth and give you ride .

to me curing cannabis is a lot like aging wine ...it takes a littile time for the flavors to truly come out ….I mean could you imagine if you tested some two weeks from the chop and got a hint of white grape, lime sherbert , citrus cocktail what that will be like after a nice long cure?! makes my mouth water just thinking about it .

as whole I feel growers are picking early just to get the next crop in and curing fast to get it to the market place . Now im not by any means saying that the smoke is bad ...im saying its not what It could have been and the sad thing is .There are people out there that have been smoking for years and have yet to experience the flavors that people take about . Its becoming a myth . The question is do you want boxed wine or bottled and aged ?

You definitely have to find a method that works for you , one that you can be consistently true to . If you do that you will always find success and with patience reap the smooth sweet rewards !

Hi guys,

I m a bit lazy to write too much as I m not native English. I ll try to make it short.

I have done 5 grows within the last two years and could try different drying method. I could test wet trimming and dry trimming. I also tested brown paper bag which is known IMO the best out of all way to dry weed with the perfect timing and lead to those perfect tasty buds we re all deserve after several weeks of patience. Yeah cause you have to add at least 3 weeks after the end of the grow to start enjoying your harvest.

Anyway this run I decided to dry one entire plant and wet trim the second one and put in brown paper bags. I had already dried plant after harvest with all leaves. I takes around 7 days to be ready for cure. The problem is that you can judge the RH only with the bend snapping method or your instinct. I was close to overdry my buds that time and hopefully had some boveda packs to help things. However from what I read everywhere, curing stops as soon as RH goes below 62% in buds. Tonight I opened my brown paper bags to check the second plant buds which have been in it (trimmed) and since harvest for 8 days. I took a bit of the bag and put buds in jars with hygrometer. A couple minutes after closing the jars RH went up to 70%. So I just put them back in the brown paper bags realizing before trying the jar to test the RH, that I was already feeling they needed more time in brown paper bags before jarring.

So this brought me to conclude I ll stick to the brown paper bags method as it offers more control. Just have to place an hygrometer in the bag and start checking after around 1 week most of the time. The wonderful thing with those bags is also that it s hard to get mold in it if you use it well. What I always to is place small buds with branches so keep max moisture. I fill the bottom of the bag with those trimmed buds but still with branches. Never got any mold even after not opening for 10 days. I had read about this method on this forum and is glad to say again how it s perfect! More control! Slow drying! No
Hi Flash.

Have enjoyed reading some of your journals, and stumbled across this.

I've been looking at using something like this for use in a tent when the outside temps are very high (e.g. attics in Summer), but can control the temps with extraction flow inside to ~20oC, whilst protecting humidity by using the dry in paper bags method to shield bud against the higher airflow. Do you have a link to the method in more detail? I like the idea of being able to wet trim and go straight to bags.

If all prep goes to plan, hoping to kick off a journal as a newbie first attempt.

I am an old school hippie who grows for himself. The way I was mentored this is an art; no fancy $300 gizmos necessary. But that means you have to watch what is going on. Smell is very important as it indicates where you are in the curing process. Yes, it all takes time. If you are in a hurry you can always run to the dispo but I usually prefer not to smoke that.

Another thing I have not read much is after you do your trimming is keeping and curing your sugar leaves. After my buds have cured, since I did the buds same time I did the sugar leaves. I take those and make hash out of them. I use bags and dry ice. I get pelleted dry ice for now $2 a lb. Last year it was $1 but that's happened to everything.

And as to cure time, I once grew some affie #1 that was a 'so what' when I finished a 5 week cure. Bored with the taste and high I tossed the baggie into my stash and forgot about it. 2 years later I took it out, read the label and decided I would give it one last try before I dumped it. Good thing! The high and taste were just like the affie hash I used to buy. It knocked me for a pleasant loop and taught me a lesson about legendary stuff that seems not to come out right. Give it time to cure.

Back
Top Bottom