Drying: just hang or paper bag method?

Timhomegrow

I'll be harvesting in a few days and not sure the best way to go.....hang drying only and then trim or hang for a few days, trim, and then do the paper bag method. My drying room is 56-57% humidity and 67-68 degrees. I do have a dehumidifier but not sure I'll need it.

From what I've read, the paper bag method would be quicker but possibly give me a hay taste. I've waited 4 months to get to this point so I don't mind waiting if hanging only is the "best" way.

Thoughts? And any tips for either method are welcomed as this will be my first time ;)

I cut the branches and put them in my dry box. It's a cardboard box with strings in it. I hang the branches on the string and let it dry for about a week. Then I do it in the paper bag. I shake the bag a few times a day. Next day bag is saturated, I get a new bag. I do this until stems snap easily. Then I put in jars and burp daily for a month. The next month I open the jars for about 30 40 minutes once a week. After 8 weeks you're good to go. This is how I do it anyway. Happy growing

I cut the branches and put them in my dry box. It's a cardboard box with strings in it. I hang the branches on the string and let it dry for about a week. Then I do it in the paper bag. I shake the bag a few times a day. Next day bag is saturated, I get a new bag. I do this until stems snap easily. Then I put in jars and burp daily for a month. The next month I open the jars for about 30 40 minutes once a week. After 8 weeks you're good to go. This is how I do it anyway. Happy growing

Thanks! Didn't know about needing new bags, good tip!

I haven't needed to switch out the bags, but I did notice that they actually slowed down the drying process compared to hanging. That seemed to make the scent better. Only time I had the hay smell was when I first started growing and I put a plant to hang for a week. Those little branches never did snap, but the buds were dry as hell.

How many days do you hang prior to the bag? My thinking was 3 days hanging whole plant, then trim and out in the bags

These days I just go straight into the bag. But what works for me may not suit you. A 3 day hang at your humidity levels shouldn't hurt anything. I would try that first, and see how you like it.
This is the answer I've been looking for lol. Do you cut off all fan and sugar leaves before you put them in the bag?

The fan leaves yes. I only cut the sugar leaves off of buds for smoking, and I trim them off after they've been in the bags. Most of my harvest goes to edibles and oils.
I dry it indoors in my basement. Keeps the bags nice and cool, which helps to prolong the drying time.

The fan leaves yes. I only cut the sugar leaves off of buds for smoking, and I trim them off after they've been in the bags. Most of my harvest goes to edibles and oils.
I dry it indoors in my basement. Keeps the bags nice and cool, which helps to prolong the drying time.
Thanks! One more ques... How do you arrange the bud in the bag? Standing up? Or just mixed in?

Previously I dried mine in a paper bags a couple of layers deep, then jarring and burping.
But this year I did whole plant drying for 3 to 4 weeks and then dry trimmed and jarred, I have only burped the jars twice as they were semi cured on jarring they seem perfect now after 3 months. I will whole plant dry next grow too, I thought it worked really well, at least for me in my environment. :hookah:

Previously I dried mine in a paper bags a couple of layers deep, then jarring and burping.
But this year I did whole plant drying for 3 to 4 weeks and then dry trimmed and jarred, I have only burped the jars twice as they were semi cured on jarring they seem perfect now after 3 months. I will whole plant dry next grow too, I thought it worked really well, at least for me in my environment. :hookah:
What's your environment?

My girl is flowering a bit early so she'll be done beginning of August. My environment is relatively humid and warm. I'd probably have to cut it by branches then trim off fan leaves. Leave sugar leaves on for slower dry. Double bag it after a few days to slow dry even more.

Sounds similar relatively humid warm etc. The whole plants allows a slow dry, even better with root as well. But I don't think it matters which way you do it. Just whatever works well for you.

My 2 cents = don’t use dehum, dries out too fast. If you decide to hang it, keep air moving & don’t point fan right at your harvest. Dry indoors where you can control environment, if you do dry outdoors then keep it in deep shade.

Ever clean a pair of trim scissors? The goo is trichs stuck to your trimmers, it is not water soluble proving that trichs don’t wash off with H20. It takes strong solvent like alcohol or acetone to clean scissor hash off your trimmers. Said all that to get to this........Strongly suggest bud washing first. Hang dry for 4 hours afterwards. If plant is very bushy then probably best to break it down to main branches for better air flow.

Save your crispy and burnt up fan leaves & sugar leaves, don’t waste- great for making cobs or oils.

Sounds similar relatively humid warm etc. The whole plants allows a slow dry, even better with root as well. But I don't think it matters which way you do it. Just whatever works well for you.
Hi Stunger.this is my first grow..almost ready to harvest..wanting to.hang whole plant and root...so did you have to trim.and rinse root or just shake off? Also I have some immature under growth..would it be better to harvest in stages with just branches? I'm leaning on whole plat harvest and hang...im.in basement also....50 rh tween 65 and 70.

Thanks! One more ques... How do you arrange the bud in the bag? Standing up? Or just mixed in?
I put it in rows, but I don't think that's necessary. You just don't want to put too much in one bag, having too much in there can promote mold. You can also open the bags every couple of days, release a bit of moisture. Kind of like burping jars. It's not usually necessary for me, but I have to use a dehumidifier for health reasons so my humidity is rarely over 40%. The other consideration is bag appeal if that's important to you. Drying in bags the bottom layer gets a flat side.

Back
Top Bottom