Sip Grow - Others Doing It - Why Not Paw Paw

A dome makes sense. It has more surface area than a flat surface so you would have more root area exposed to air.
Are you reading my mind? lol I was just thinking the same thing. Makes lots of sense. Now I just have to find a suitable container to do it with. Maybe a salad bowl, but wonder what size would be best.🧐

Are you reading my mind? lol I was just thinking the same thing. Makes lots of sense. Now I just have to find a suitable container to do it with. Maybe a salad bowl, but wonder what size would be best.🧐
Think hard, get it right. Make it perfect. It has to be better than Azi's, then tell me how you did it so I can do it too. A SIP is next for me, but I still have a bit to try with SWick's still, so you have time to ensure domination.

I am working with SWick's also at the moment and a couple of Sip's I am trying. I see great potential in both and you guys have my wheels turning on this bucket design. A dome for and 2 fill tubes, very interesting. Mah mah gave me a stern look when i was looking at her salad bowl. :lot-o-toke:

A few pictures.

16787196672268873475438259312955.jpg

16787196941122247620607312602695.jpg

16787197276693444044279430933960.jpg

16787197548182099163556029412367.jpg

The best container to use as a dome is one just barely smaller at the rim than the bottom dimension of you bucket. I've used colanders, as well as food storage containers from the dollar store.

With the food storage containers you have to make the holes for aeration and water flow yourself and I've found a soldering iron to be the best tool for that job.

The best container to use as a dome is one just barely smaller at the rim than the bottom dimension of you bucket. I've used colanders, as well as food storage containers from the dollar store.

With the food storage containers you have to make the holes for aeration and water flow yourself and I've found a soldering iron to be the best tool for that job.
Thank you for your knowledge and experience @Azimuth . Going to be preparing those this week so I am ready to transplant the girls into the buckets.

Should I use 2 pcv pipes or just one? The container is a 2 gallon hanging basket that I trimmed. What do you think @Azimuth @Gee64 ?

16789808414075888681357097834202.jpg
I don't know much about SIPs yet, but one or 2 would work I would guess.

This is more or less what I was thinking, but I was going to cut the bucket off about 3" above the high water line, and make a soil pad. Then set my cloch bag on that.

I was thinking a dome-shaped item in center but I bet this setup would work great. It looks like a pretty easy build👍😊

Azi will know for sure.

I don't know much about SIPs yet, but one or 2 would work I would guess.

This is more or less what I was thinking, but I was going to cut the bucket off about 3" above the high water line, and make a soil pad. Then set my cloch bag on that.

I was thinking a dome-shaped item in center but I bet this setup would work great. It looks like a pretty easy build👍😊

Azi will know for sure.
That's a great idea also.

I've chatted a bit with Azi, and I have pondered it a lot, and here's my theory, but yet to be proven.

If you use a pot like you have, then when the water moves up and down in the reservoir the exact same square inches of soil are in contact with the water, so no matter how high or low the res, the wicking potential is constant.

With a dome the width of soil from dome to pot wall gets bigger as the reservoir level rises, so a full reservoir is more water plus its square inches of contact with water has been increased, thus its wicking potential.

Reservoir level becomes a better volume dial with a dome.

Maybe...

Hmmm next time I cut clones I should compare the two ways...

Should I use 2 pcv pipes or just one? The container is a 2 gallon hanging basket that I trimmed. What do you think @Azimuth @Gee64 ?
I like two, one on opposite sides of the bucket as I think there is a better chance at air flow vs one pipe ending in an enclosed cavity. Honestly have no idea if it's better, but it is the way I build mine.

With a dome the width of soil from dome to pot wall gets bigger as the reservoir level rises, so a full reservoir is more water plus its square inches of contact with water has been increased, thus its wicking potential.
Probably a little, but most of the taper is in the air gap area. But I like your thinking! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom