Smokey's Mystery Bud - First CFL/Soil Grow 2010

SmokeyMacPots

Welcome everyone, to my very first grow journal! I have been a member since 2007 and have read many many many of your journals. I just hope I can make mine "up to par" with the rest of yours! This is not my first grow, but it is my first soil grow. When I decided to start growing a few years back, I went all out. MH/HPS lights, custom made hydroponics setup, CO2 ... the whole nine yards. Well, now I am taking a different approach. I have limited height space, so I have decided to try 2 things I have never tried before. The first is soil, and the second is CFL's. I'm hoping to maximize my grow space to produce some nice beautiful buds. I have been studying all of your journals, and I thank all of you for taking the time because without you guys, I would have no idea where to begin!

Well, let's get started with the run down of everything ...

What strain is it? BC God Bud and unknown
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? God Bud is an Indica hybrid, I believe 75%-25%
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? In germination now
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor closet grow 42"W x 50"H x 28"D
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Fox Farms Ocean Forest with perlite - 75%-25%
If soil... What size pot? keg cups to start, then into 3 gal pots
Lighting? One high output 48w T5 and 2 48w CFL's
Temp of Room/cab? unknown
Type and strength of ferts used? I will be using Fox Farms products, will give more detail when purchased.

Now, the grow space is actually double the width that I put above. I have split the room in 2, because I plan on cloning for a mother. Thus the need for a vegetative and flowering room.

As for the pics, I will be posting them in a few days. The grow room will be completed this weekend and I will snap some shots off as soon as it is done.

I look forward to completing this journal, and if you guys or gals out there have any suggestions, comments, or questions, please feel free to post them up and I will answer as best I can.

:welcome: :roorrip:

Thanks for stopping in kylester! I plan on supercropping and FIMing on this grow. Then next grow I am going to try LST with FIMing, to see which option produces more. I think I'm going to have about 25-30inches of space for plant growth. Should be plenty with proper pruning techniques.

Good luck with your girls! Ill be watching.

Can't wait to see how you set things up. I like cfl's myself, as they are economical, safe n easy to use, and very versitile. And they actually produce quite exceptional results. Ill be around. Peace!!

Thanks for checkin out my grow 619ster! I can't wait to see what I can get with these CFL's. From what I have seen on here, I should be more than satisfied!

Now, for the update. All 4 seeds have cracked open to show their tap root. My germination method is just dropping the seeds into shot glasses with PH balanced H2O. I will be transplanting them into rockwool cubes that have been soaking in PH balanced H2O for 24 hours.

As for the grow room, I have everything pretty much in order. Just a couple loose ends to tie up, but everything will be ready in time for the ladies to move into their new home. Pics will be up tomorrow when I get to work.

Check back soon!

Smokey is it u...?

Well, yea I am me. :) But I don't think I'm the Smokey you're looking for. I have seen that there is another person with the name "SmokeyMacPot" around here.

But thanks for stopping in anyway!

OK, here is what you have all been waiting for. PICS! I know there's not much to show now, but you can get a basic idea of my setup and what I am working with.

Here is the grow space ...
20100906170953.jpg

Another pic of the grow room ...
20100906171006.jpg

Now, this shows what the room looks like closed off ...
20100906165610.jpg

Here are all my babies after I transplanted them into the rockwool cubes. The labels are brand new guitar pics that I had lying around!
20100906165424.jpg

Only the best for my ladies ...
20100904174640.jpg

Now, I still have to add my 2 48w CFL fixtures to the room. Plus, I am making a DIY carbon filter from activated carbon packs I have sitting around from when I used to have fish tanks.

I can't wait to see these ladies start sprouting out from their cubes! The BC God Bud seeds I used are feminized, but they are also almost 4 years old! I have kept them in a ZipLoc baggie in my fridge for about 3.5 years, and they were the first ones to germinate!

Well, take a look and I hope you enjoy. You can be assured that once I start seeing some green, there will be tons of pics!

I also forgot to mention one other thing. The piece of mylar on the back wall was from a roll that I had leftover from previous grows. But, I did not have enough left over for the side walls. Then, wandering through Walmart one day, I happened to come across an extremely cheap solution. In the camping section, you will find a product called an "Emergency Blanket". Guess what? It's a piece of mylar folded up. The piece is about 52" x 85" and one only costs $2.88. It is folded, so there are creases throughout the sheet when you put it on the wall, but it's better than nothing in a pinch. Especially for the price!

Just thought I would spread the word about this, for those who run cost effectively!

The suspense is killing me!! Still no sign of sprouts from the rockwool cubes, but I am keeping them moist and in a dark, warm place, so everything should be fine. I always get so anxious at this stage, but as soon as I see sprouts I will feel much better.

Also, after doing a little research today, I have decided that for nutrients I will be using what I have left of the GH Flora 3 part system. Apparently this can be used for soil as well, which is a major plus!

Pics as soon as I see some growth! So hopefully really soon!

Well, yea I am me. :) But I don't think I'm the Smokey you're looking for. I have seen that there is another person with the name "SmokeyMacPot" around here.

But thanks for stopping in anyway!

LMAO ok no problem nice set up you got Smokey... :reading420magazine: :rollit:

OK guys and gals, here's another quick update. I got my HO T5 operational in the grow room, so I moved the seedling tray in. I hadn't seen any development with the seeds so I figured a little 18/6 might give them some more motivation. Here's a couple pics of everything as of last night.

20100908174625.jpg

20100908174549.jpg

And I guess I was right about the motivation, because when I checked this morning, I could see one of the mystery seeds were very close to breaking the surface of the rockwool cube!

Should have some nice healthy sprouts in a couple days time!

OK, hope everybody had a great weekend!! Time for another update.

Right now I have 3 sprouts. One of the God Bud seeds didn't make it (they are 4 years old), which I kind of expected. So, I now have 2 more mystery seeds and 1 more God Bud seed that I started germinating last night.

Let's start with some pics ... Here are my four cubes, and you can see the 3 sprouts, along with the empty one that didn't make it.

20100912144955.jpg

Next, here is MB1. These "MB" series mystery seeds are from my friends most recent home grow. I could find out all the strains he grew, but I really don't care and it's exciting to not know what you are getting. I have 2 more of these germinating now.

20100912145023.jpg

And here is mystery seed MC1. Her origin is unkown. But, it was in a group of seeds I saved and I only saved seeds that I found in high quality bud so she should be very nice.

20100912145033.jpg

This next picture is pretty much useless because of how bright the light is, but it is showing the MB1 and MC1 after being transplanted into FFOF.

20100912170150.jpg

And finally, just a quick snap shot of the overview of my grow space.

20100912170252.jpg

Hopefully I will have a few more sprouts over the next couple days. The first God Bud sprout is still in the seedling tray and will be transplanted once she looks a little more healthy.

If the next 3 seeds sprout, then my grow will then consist of the following:

(2) BC God Bud
(3) "MB" series mystery
(1) "MC" series mystery

Let's all hope for the best!

Hey Smokey nice little set up you got going, hope it works out with the CFLS. You using T5's too? That's what that little fixture looks like.:popcorn:

Thanks Burmese, glad to have you along!

Hey Smokey nice little set up you got going, hope it works out with the CFLS. You using T5's too? That's what that little fixture looks like.:popcorn:

Welcome to my grow Anomoly! Yea, it is a T5HO 2' x 2 bulb, 48 total watts. Puts out 4000 lumens by itself. I am building another fixture right now that will house another 6 23w CFL's, for a total of 13,600 lumens. Should be sufficient for this grow, and I could always add more if I feel it is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom