Soil help

GermanHusky

Well my plants were showing sign of heat stress and I ordered smart pots online and they will arrive today. The ones I ordered are 7 gallon smart pots and my grow is in 5 gallon buckets... I also didn't originally use the best soil(ill picture it down below) So now I have to fill out the extra space the smart pots will have... So I was thinking of adding 1/3 perlite, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 promix or foxfarms.... What do you guys think?

soil_zpsdba9af60.png

soil2_zps1d7ba97a.png

growpic109-2_zpsb0125414.png

On you extra soil mix,to me it would depend on how simple you want to make it. If you just want to add soil and plats will be happy then just throw FFO in there. I still would add about three cups of perlite to the mix. I like your mix as well. You have the right idea and ether way your plants will be happy with your choice.

They look like they could use some worm castings and blood meal!

i have clones in a 30 gallon smart pot cause i want them to be huge. i also use fox farm soils. i think 7 gallon will be too small... i used 20 gallons the previous year and the roots grew through the pot...

Im not trying to get trees... Nice 4-5 feet plants will be fine...

Why worm castings?

I personally don't use worm castings, I use a simple 3 part nute mix and it works fine for me. Everyone has a preference, and a complete organic grow may be his.

As for COFinest's response above, He's got a lot of experience, and has grown some insane plants (he has grow journals with videos to show his work) Basically, he knows his stuff. You did mention 4-5' tall plants, COFinest grows them 4-5 feet wide.

And I read a rule of thumb that you use 1 gallon of pot volume for every 1 foot of plant height you expect. Obviously it's not 100% accurate, as plants will vary by strain and phenotypes, but it's a good start.

I personally don't use worm castings, I use a simple 3 part nute mix and it works fine for me. Everyone has a preference, and a complete organic grow may be his.

As for COFinest's response above, He's got a lot of experience, and has grown some insane plants (he has grow journals with videos to show his work) Basically, he knows his stuff. You did mention 4-5' tall plants, COFinest grows them 4-5 feet wide.

And I read a rule of thumb that you use 1 gallon of pot volume for every 1 foot of plant height you expect. Obviously it's not 100% accurate, as plants will vary by strain and phenotypes, but it's a good start.

Like I stated above, I am not trying to grow trees lol. I am still new, so keeping it smaller and contained for now is best(for me) When the time comes Ill buy the huge smart pots, but I am not wasting my money for bagseed.

Your plants have thin stems, and I can see yellowing starting at the bottom. Personally, I use mainly my own garden compost as a base for both veg & flowering mixes, but reasonable addition of worm castings and blood meal will stimulate these gals more.

7 gals will work just fine. I used those last year and got around 5ozs average per plant. I coulda got more I think but I didnt feed them right and I had mites and thrips throughout most of the grow. I had an untopped Blue Dream that got about 5 and a half feet tall so your 7s will work fine for what you want.

I use Roots Organic Soil and like it better than the FFOF because I can plant seeds or clones straight into it without burning them like the FFOF did.

7 gals will work just fine. I used those last year and got around 5ozs average per plant. I coulda got more I think but I didnt feed them right and I had mites and thrips throughout most of the grow. I had an untopped Blue Dream that got about 5 and a half feet tall so your 7s will work fine for what you want.

I use Roots Organic Soil and like it better than the FFOF because I can plant seeds or clones straight into it without burning them like the FFOF did.

Thanks for the response, I ended up getting Promix HP and the FoxFarms trio nute pack.5ozs each would be great, as it's a bagseed grow I plan on turning it into wax(have a lot to learn on it) I've heard good things about roots but haven't tried it. FFOF isn't meant for babies. I thought thats why they have Happy Frog for the youngins haha.

Fox farm soils for your plants.
Warrior is the best for seedlings
50/50 FFO and happy frog work great for clones and grown up plants.
You can also do a mix where plants grow into FFO by adding FFO on the bottom half of pot and putting Happy Frog on the top half.

Back
Top Bottom